7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Official list of the highest mountains?  (Read 5957 times)

frankja

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Official list of the highest mountains?
« on: Aug 10 2005, 14:38 »

Do there exist an official list over the hightest mountains in the world and on each continents. Especially Mount Aconcagua and Elbrus are listed with different heights in different lists, but also Denali. Or is this just a problem I have to live with?

Thanks

Frank

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Official list of the highest mountains?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11 2005, 14:47 »

Hi Frankja,

there are no definitive lists anywhere. Many people use the CIA list, but that is definately wrong for many places (old measurments, not updated).
Avoid any list published in a country where some of the mountains are, as many 'staticians' have a tendency to increase the height of their mountains  ;)

I can tell you that none of the 7summits are anywhere near Amsterdam  ;D

Aconcagua's and Elbrus' height are correct on this site as far as we know it. We follow all remeasurements and correct our site based on them if needed.
So for the 7 summits you can use our numbers as a reference, for the other mountains, try different lists and compare, some will definately stand out as wrong.

Cheers,
Harry
« Last Edit: Aug 11 2005, 14:56 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

frankja

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11 2005, 14:54 »

Thanks for your answer, appreciate it. Then I will use the heights on this page to settle my discussions  :)

Frank

Mary Clare

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12 2005, 01:32 »

Hey Harry

I was curious...did the Chinese team ever get a final stat for the re-measurement of Mt. Everest in Spring 2005?  I know currently the measurement is 8848 meters.

Thanks in advance.
mc

maubrey

• Hiker
  • Altitude: -2
  • 0 of 7/8
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12 2005, 10:47 »

Here's an interesting list (no guarantee for accuracy though):

www.angelfire.com/or/petermarsh/worldtop50.htm

www.peakware.com has a lot of info but even they have 2 different summit elevations listed for Kilimanjaro... ???

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13 2005, 12:58 »

Hey MC!

howzlife? When will we see you on one of the 7 summits?

There is a lot of coverage on the remeasuring, but no number has been released, officially it will be announced sometime in August. They had a ceremony in BC, but that was just when I went up, so I did not see what they were celebrating on the other side of BC.

Btw all the stuff placed on the summit had blown off the 2 stormy nights before we summited (it is still on the summit pictures of our team1).

Some backgrounders:
http://newsgd.com/news/pic/200505230130.htm

and some pictures from the footage they shot a the summit:
http://www.cctv.com/news/china/20050522/100277.shtml

And Maubrey: 2 heights for KIli does not sound very accurate, but maybe they have seen the Monty Python sketch too much  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 13 2005, 13:12 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mary Clare

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29 2005, 23:12 »

Thanks Harry

I appreciate the link to the Chinese article...you always provide the "info".  NICE!!!

I will be training for Kili via some of the local mountains here in the northwest of the USA.  I am lucky to live in an area where there are some great snow capped mountains to help me prepare.  Mt. Rainier and Mt. Olympus are two that I would like to tackle.  Thanks for asking.

Congradulations for making headlines in the Panorama magazine.  I do not read Dutch but I got to follow your "adventure" of Everest as it was unfolding...thanks to your descriptive posts and Lorenzo's blogs.  It was an experience I will never forget.

Take care
mc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 23 queries.