7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kilimanjaro rate of ascent  (Read 5410 times)

maubrey

• Hiker
  • Altitude: -2
  • 0 of 7/8
Kilimanjaro rate of ascent
« on: Aug 17 2005, 05:24 »

Found a fascinating little PDF on altitude problems, acclimatization, and rates of ascent on Kilimanjaro put out by the Expedition Advisory Centre of the Royal Geographical Society. Worth a read, I should think, if one is considering the trek.  :eek)

http://www.rgs.org/PDF/kilimanjaro.pdf

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Kilimanjaro rate of ascent
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17 2005, 13:20 »

Hi Maubrey,

yes, this is a good document, which explains the problems and even offering some solutions.
Unfortunately with the 2006 price increase - again per day- this will still be a problem.

Also read this FAQ about the issue.

Cheers,
Harry

Ps, I moved this to General
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

teamkilimanjaro

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -5
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17 2005, 15:17 »

We're surprised that you both seem to accept this document (if we have interpreted your comments correctly), as 7Summits you have practical experience, and Maubrey you have a sound background in physiology.

We find Deegan's scholarship sloppy. He defers to sources whose authority has been far from acceptably established.

The author is aware that this itinerary does not obey the day-by-day rules of acclimatisation as laid
out in this document. Instead, it illustrates and makes provision for the problems of acclimatisation
on these East Africa mountains
; namely short trekking days and rapid gains in altitude. Spread
over two mountains and the rule of acclimatisation is adhered to in this itinerary, which is
achievable UK to UK in two weeks if the weekends either side of a fortnight's holiday are taken
into account.

This is false. His recommendation for an acclimatisation schedule fails to exploit the quintessential principle of effective, time-efficient and safe acclimatisation of climbing high, sleeping low, and so becomes unnecessarily protracted.

His apparently limited understanding of acclimatisation would be better tempered with wider experience tested against the hypotheses of those who provide alternative models.

www.teamkilimanjaro.com

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17 2005, 15:36 »

Hi Teamk,

thanks for your comments; no I do not necessarily 'accept' this document to be the ultimate truth. I refer to your own comment which I agree with:

People should be fully informed and not have true information denied them as though they were children and unable to discern. Information is not advice. A prospective climber ought always to arrange access to a person who is experienced and well placed to discuss their individual needs, prior to an expedition. We allow this and we've no doubt you do also.

This document is information, which raises some valid points and should be seen as such. My clients come to me for additional and personalized advice, prior to an expedition as you allow as well.

By the way, also the 'climb high, sleep low' philosophy is not sacred as well to me. There are numerous cases of people getting sick due to climbing too high, even if they slept low afterwards. I find the 300m per day increase usually very effective, without the need to climb higher during the day. This is how I climbed Denali twice actually, though it is not possible in the last sections. But there is already a huge difference in altitude gain on the equator vs the poles anyway. Imagine climbing Denali in 6 days!

In the end the mountain, the conditions and the climber's own conditions will determine which strategy works best and which is possible at all. Fortunately there is no fixed manual for ascending a mountain, else it would be quite boring  ;)

Btw, I noticed that on your upcoming speedclimb people will go sleep in the crater after only 4 days and then stay there for a few days, do you think this is wise? And I do not mean wise as in acclimatising for the speedclimb, that is needed of course, but in ascending so fast and then sleeping in the crater.

Cheers,
Harry O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Frans

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17 2005, 17:04 »

Hi,

after reading all this I'm wandering what I have to do as a customer?  ???
If I have to follow all the golden rules to avoid HAPE/HACE and get to the top safely then I need an outfitter who can adapt the ascent to my own acclimatisation rate. Which organisation can offer me this ?? I don't want to pay a lot of money to go to Tanzania and stop the ascent after 3 days because I just need e.g. 1 day more adaptation to the new altitude.

thx,Frans

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17 2005, 19:25 »

Hi Frans,

after reading all this I'm wandering what I have to do as a customer?  ???
If I have to follow all the golden rules to avoid HAPE/HACE and get to the top safely then I need an outfitter who can adapt the ascent to my own acclimatisation rate. Which organisation can offer me this ??

we can  8)
7summits only offers private dates, so you can determine beforehand how long your trip should be and ask me for advice if you have questions. See the FAQ referenced above for guidelines.

What is not possible is to stay longer on the mountain than planned beforehand as the park fees have to be paid in advance for a certain period. You cannot stay longer than the time paid for. Besides, our porters and cooks only bring food and supplies for the planned amount of days.

Cheers,

Harry
www.7summits.com

maubrey

• Hiker
  • Altitude: -2
  • 0 of 7/8
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18 2005, 00:52 »

What is not possible is to stay longer on the mountain than planned beforehand as the park fees have to be paid in advance for a certain period. You cannot stay longer than the time paid for. Besides, our porters and cooks only bring food and supplies for the planned amount of days.

Not that I have the money to do this _BUT_ if I did, can I build in an extra "float" day (to include park fees, food, porters, and other expenses) into my itinerary to spend on the mountain (Kili) and use it where I need to (as determined by me and my guide) as I go up? And, if not needed for additional acclimatization on the way up, then spend this extra day in the crater to explore? 

Also if I come down early, for any reason, is there any reimbursement of any unused park fees?

THX

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18 2005, 02:08 »

Hi Maubrey,

You can pay for a longer trip and then decide if you need the extra days or not while climbing. The days are quite flexible (not on the Maragu route as there are limited hut spaces), so you can discuss with your guide if you want to adjust the itinerary a bit.

But extra time in the crater must be booked beforehand, not much flexibility there as part of the porters will build camp and will bring food for one night (unless ordered otherwise), the rest of the team will go around and wait at the other side for you to come down.

You will not get a refund if you come down early. The only bonus is getting to a shower 24 hours sooner than planned  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.