7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Predicament  (Read 9168 times)

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
Predicament
« on: Aug 31 2005, 14:45 »

Hey Harry and all....

All of a sudden I've got it into my head that I want to go back to Aconcagua in January 2006 and give it another go. I don't know why. I know there are many other places to see and other mountains to climb but with this one I feel there is some unfinished business. The only problem is my family. It will break their hearts if I tell them I want to go back. They thought that was it after last time. I suppose I did too but you know, it's hard to shake off the bug once you've caught it. What can I do? I don't want to upset anyone but I feel I have to do this....  :(
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Predicament
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31 2005, 15:24 »

Hi Daisy,

thanks for your honest question. It is always hard to do this. What I can say from experience that your family, (boy)friend in the end will want to see you alive and happy, mostly in that order. If you feel you need to go back, go back and tell them soonest.

Maybe they will cheer you unexpectedly. If not, let your family know that you are choosing for you, not against them. Thats a big difference and if they love and understand you they should agree. Of course they are worried that something bad might happen, but in the end they will want to see you live a happy life. You will break their hearts anyway if you feel sad because you didn't do something.

"When you"re my age, you must look back and regret the things you did and not
 the things you didn"t do." Michael Caine (1934 - ), actor.

Hope this helps,

Good luck,
Harry
« Last Edit: Aug 31 2005, 15:52 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31 2005, 15:41 »

Hi Daisy
In life one follows ones heart.  If you feel passionate or strongly enough about something then you should pursue it. If not you will get to a stage in your life where upon reflection you may regret not having pursued what you felt strongly about.
It will be hard for those around you who do not understand the reasons why you pursue these challenges in life, however in life we are all ultimately free agents to pursue our own paths.
If you have the health, desire and means then go on your journeys.  My outlook is that we live for our memories and those around you whilst not perhaps agreeing with your path will ultimately support your life choices.
I would have to say though that one mountain is never enough, the freedom, the clarity of thought-oh I could go on.
Dont dwell on why you need to do this one, just methodically begin the planning process and remember the lessons learnt from the last time.

Cheers
Roger
Sydney Australia

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31 2005, 15:42 »

You can't get rid of that bug. Forget it. In periods I have tried, but it has plagued me since I was 17.
I think you will live in an upset state if you don't go back to Aconcagua. Unfinished business is never nice to carry around.

Nowadays, I never try to fight the bug. I have accepted it to the full and really enjoy I once upon a time contracted it.
Where?
On Mt Egmont/Taranaki, New Zealand. A peak a failed to climb due to bad weather. That's a place I have to go back to one day.
 8)
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

Daisy

• Scrambler
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31 2005, 16:27 »

Thank you all for your advice. I think we all understand each other. I believe a lot of sacrifices have to be made in order to climb mountains I just don't want to sacrifice my family. At the same time I can't give up my own dreams either...its a tough one  :-\
Perhaps I can tell them I'm going to the Bahamas for a few weeks....
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

• Hiker
  • I'm too lazy to update this text!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31 2005, 22:43 »

Thank you all for your advice. I think we all understand each other. I believe a lot of sacrifices have to be made in order to climb mountains I just don't want to sacrifice my family. At the same time I can't give up my own dreams either...its a tough one  :-\
Perhaps I can tell them I'm going to the Bahamas for a few weeks....

I have three things to say:
- don't lie to friends / family
- don't live somebody ELSES life but choose your own road in life
- go out for dinner with me:)
Kilimanjaro (2005), Elbrus (2006), Kosciuszko (2010), next is Aconcagua

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #6 on: Sep 1 2005, 01:47 »

I have three things to say:
- don't lie to friends / family
- don't live somebody ELSES life but choose your own road in life
- go out for dinner with me:)

I agree about the first 2. Never lie to anyone! Honesty last longest. Last year we had a guy on the Everest team who told his mum he was diving! If he would've had an accident, I am not sure what would have hurt his family more: him being hurt or his lying..

But HEY 617! Respect the rules! You know you need at least 750 posts before you are allowed to ask Daisy for a date!
   ;) ;D 8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #7 on: Sep 1 2005, 10:05 »

I agree about the first 2. Never lie to anyone! Honesty last longest. Last year we had a guy on the Everest team who told his mum he was diving! If he would've had an accident, I am not sure what would have hurt his family more: him being hurt or his lying..

But HEY 617! Respect the rules! You know you need at least 750 posts before you are allowed to ask Daisy for a date!
   ;) ;D 8)

daisy,
perhaps you should try to win them over....or at least give some time before you attempt again. in the meantime, go for lower peaks.

maybe they will be won over by your determination. n i definitely agree that its unfinished business. in your position, i wud do the same......try again n again till i finally summit  ;D

harry,
does that mean as of now, only you qualify?  ;D

Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

Daisy

• Scrambler
« Reply #8 on: Sep 1 2005, 15:59 »

Well of course I'm not *really* going to lie. I think they'd suspect something when they see me packing my plastic boots instead of a bikini...

So, Harry..about that date. Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis in October? You can lead though because I'm useless on rock :)
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

• Hiker
  • I'm too lazy to update this text!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 1 2005, 19:01 »

Well of course I'm not *really* going to lie. I think they'd suspect something when they see me packing my plastic boots instead of a bikini...

That reminds me of another nice (relatively easy) mountain to climb: Gran Paradiso. After the long hike to the hut finding Italian women in skimpy bikini's sunbathing on the terrace in front of the hut with the view of the face of the Gran Paradiso - that and excellent wine and food in the hut.

There you go... boots, crampons... and bikinis... Mmm:)
Kilimanjaro (2005), Elbrus (2006), Kosciuszko (2010), next is Aconcagua

Mary Clare

« Reply #10 on: Sep 2 2005, 01:05 »

Hi Daisy

It looks like "the boys" are lining up at the door!   8)

Regarding your delimea, I have to agree with everything that has been said.  I think the key is to reassure your family that even though you may be a risk taker, a true adventurist, you are safe and take all precautions necessary.  It is imperative that you follow your heart and let your family know that in doing so, you are inspiring others to do the same.  (Including me!!!)

Briefly, I will tell you that I have followed my adventurist spirit most of my life.  From white water canoeing, some mountaineering and many outdoor sports.  But just when I was getting the "climbing bug" to the extreme...my life took a turn and I got married (I gave up my mountaineering but luckily my husband loves all of the other outdoor sports
that I enjoy.)  He knows that climbing is in my blood and he has some concerns...but recently I have decided to get back to my passion and I have his support.  He would prefer that I not climb but he knows that it is something I long to do.

Maybe one day we will climb a mountain together...as Lorenzo says, "you never know destiny".

Good luck with your situation.  Something tells me that you will be attending to some unfinished business in the future!

Sincerely,
mc

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #11 on: Sep 4 2005, 01:25 »

So, Harry..about that date. Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis in October? You can lead though because I'm useless on rock :)
hmmm, would love to, but have no time at all until december due to another project I am currently working on, fulltime. Actually I will be in Scotland early october for promotion of the Aconcagua book, but only about 40 hours before I have to head back and those hours are mainly filled with business stuff.
So can I take a raincheck on that date? 8)
I climbed the last part of the ridge once (from the Gap, after climbing Gloover's Chimney), very nice area, would love to get back there soon.

Oh, and you can bring that bikini, no problem  ;D

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #12 on: Sep 5 2005, 21:00 »

Ah crap... Well here's ONE more  ;D

MoT

• Climber
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #13 on: Sep 5 2005, 21:07 »

;) ;D 8)

And another - are we there yet?  :-\

Or maybe I'll wait till we get to the gap on Tower Ridge and I'll refuse to lead any further unless you agree to my demands!  >:D

Heh heh heh heh...

ArraLookit

« Reply #14 on: Sep 7 2005, 02:30 »

Dating service anyone... new forum required?

MoT

• Climber
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #15 on: Sep 7 2005, 17:48 »

Dating service anyone... new forum required?

Ah now ArraLookit (if that IS your real name Brendan)...

That's one more!  ;D

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #16 on: Sep 8 2005, 01:51 »

Ah now ArraLookit (if that IS your real name Brendan)...

That's one more!  ;D

Go on MoT! You can do better than that! Or I might raise the Daisy-level up to 800  >:D
 :lol)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 8 2005, 22:46 »

Hey Harry

Just curious...(I am not asking for me because I am very happily married.)  How many posts would it take for a sweet, good looking, athletic and adventurist girl to get a date with you?  I am sure there are women out there who would like to know!!!     :lol)    ;D

Again...just curious
mc
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #18 on: Sep 9 2005, 03:29 »

Hey Harry

Just curious...(I am not asking for me because I am very happily married.)  How many posts would it take for a sweet, good looking, athletic and adventurist girl to get a date with you?  I am sure there are women out there who would like to know!!!     :lol)    ;D

Again...just curious
mc

LOL
One would be enough, though I'd settle for zero, if she's really all of the above  :P ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.