7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full-time Summiteers?  (Read 7478 times)

Jay-Bear

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -3
  • It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
Full-time Summiteers?
« on: Sep 12 2005, 03:50 »

Hi to all! 

I have done enough climbing to know I love doing it and would love to pursue the 7 summits.  Unfortunately, I have a career which does not allow extended trips for serious mountain climbing. Because of this, I am seriously considering leaving this position to pursue the 7 summits full-time until the dream is achieved (2-3 years?).  I am not married and do have the financial resources to make it happen.  The only question is I am giving up a well-paying job and dipping into funds that could obviously be used for the retirement nest egg (I am not rich).  In addition, I would be reentering the job market at 43 years old. 

Is there anyone out there who has taken the plunge to put life on hold to follow this dream?  If so, how did it work out for you?

Thanks and happy climbing!

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • I'm too lazy to update this text!
Re: Full-time Summiteers?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7 2005, 05:11 »

Hi to all! 

I have done enough climbing to know I love doing it and would love to pursue the 7 summits.  Unfortunately, I have a career which does not allow extended trips for serious mountain climbing. Because of this, I am seriously considering leaving this position to pursue the 7 summits full-time until the dream is achieved (2-3 years?).  I am not married and do have the financial resources to make it happen.  The only question is I am giving up a well-paying job and dipping into funds that could obviously be used for the retirement nest egg (I am not rich).  In addition, I would be reentering the job market at 43 years old. 

Is there anyone out there who has taken the plunge to put life on hold to follow this dream?  If so, how did it work out for you?

Thanks and happy climbing!

Imagine you are 70 and about to die... what would you rather be thinking:
"what if..."

OR

"ah, what the !Yodel!, I lived a great life"

Question answered. Having big dreams is only half of living. Actively pursuing realizing them will be the only way to really feel alive!
Kilimanjaro (2005), Elbrus (2006), Kosciuszko (2010), next is Aconcagua

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #2 on: Oct 7 2005, 14:47 »

Hey JayBear,

some people have done it, see the statistcis for Jo and Rob Gambi for example. Now they are well sought after public speakers.
I also quit well paying and comfortable jobs, to be able to climb more, but also have my onw climbing company of course.

Refresh this page a few times for inspiration!

http://7summits.com/info/quotes2.php

8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #3 on: Oct 7 2005, 21:24 »

Hey JayBear,

some people have done it, see the statistcis for Jo and Rob Gambi for example. Now they are well sought after public speakers.
I also quit well paying and comfortable jobs, to be able to climb more, but also have my onw climbing company of course.

Refresh this page a few times for inspiration!

http://7summits.com/info/quotes2.php

8)

Hey Harry,

I certainly would love an opportunity to quit my job. But, its the only thing that keeps the $$ coming in so that I can save enough for my summits.

The downside is that my trips keep getting postponed because my project schedules keep moving...... *sigh*  ???

Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

Mary Clare

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7 2005, 22:43 »

Hi to all! 

Hi Jay-Bear

I believe this type of "plunge" is different for everyone.  You do have a lot going for you...financial resources, you are single at this time and most importantly, you obviously have a passion for climbing and living your dreams.  You are fortunate that you are in a position to consider climbing the 7 summits.  There are many risks in life...I guess you have to trust and believe in yourself enough to know that you will be able to continue with a career when you complete your climbs.  Good luck with your decision...it is an important one!

Best wishes
MC

søren gudmann

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1 2006, 20:54 »

GO FOR IT !

if you have the dream, if you have the money , there should be no hesitation. But it doesnt need to take you 2-3 years. I just did the 7 Zummits in a little more than 6 months. You can try to do it fast or you can do it a little more relaxed, say 1 year. But soon you can be back at work, if that concerns you. But I tell you, the coming back to work, sitting at a desk, looking into the PC is bad ! I think I have a depression, and my thoughts are longing for the mountains ! Thats the biggest risk

To quote another Dane, Søren Kierkegaard: " courage is to let things slip for a moment, not to have courage is to loose yourself forever"

I left work for 9 months to follow my dream of scaling Everest and the 7 Zummits, and as I said now I am back in the rat race. With the present state of the world economy you can get ajob anytime, even if you are out of circulation for a year.

Get your ass in gear !

Best regards

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 1 2006, 23:27 »

I like what Søren had to say.  And he is walking the talk.

The following quotes I just made up and they might help to inspire anyone who is considering climbing the 7 summits.  (I love inspirational quotes!)

However great your intentions may be, they will remain intentions until you act upon them.

The dream may be only one step away.  You will never know unless you take that next step.

Let your vision be your guide.  Let others inspire you but always stay true to your vision.

It starts with a dream, the dream continues with action and the action ends in your dream coming true.

Cheers
MC  :D
« Last Edit: Mar 16 2006, 12:22 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

earth-walker

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 8
« Reply #7 on: Mar 2 2006, 05:27 »

Go for it Jay.  Life is about experiences, not money or things.

"A man can live long, yet live very little."

sdoownek

• Armchair...
  • 28.57% done. Denali 1999, Kilimanjaro 1998
« Reply #8 on: Mar 2 2006, 19:57 »

www.80below.com/archives/114-You-guys-are-tired-of-looking-at-Schroedingers-dead-ones..html

That sums it up.

edit:  link was dead, harry removed popups.  Now fixed.
« Last Edit: Mar 3 2006, 08:33 by sdoownek »
Flying into Fairbanks to climb Denali?  I'll give you a ride to Talkeetna.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #9 on: Mar 3 2006, 00:32 »

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" -- Amelia Earhart

I made the switch about 6 years ago.
I turned out ok  ;D

80below.com/archives/114-You-guys-are-tired-of-looking-at-Schroedingers-dead-ones..html

That sums it up.
Link was dead and pop ups arrived, so I removed the http..

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 23 queries.