7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 7 Zummits Speed Ascent  (Read 30368 times)

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: 7 Zummits Speed Ascent
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14 2006, 21:11 »

Yes JC our countries are really friendly now with the election of our new prime minister Harper who is almost as conservative as Mighty George. And if you do come to our beautiful but frigid city of Montreal, we will go and grab a beer together and that goes to anybody who comes to Montreal, I'm not picky. ;D

And yes Harry, Vern is a great cook, lots of pancakes and bacon in the morning, pork chops, steaks, fish for dinners. We even got pizza in Patriot Hills. I almost didn't lose any weight on Vinson (it didn't help that we got stuck for 8 days doing nothing except eating and resting).

MikeW

Søren Gudmann

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29 2006, 23:47 »

Carstensz Pyramid trip

Well it seems that I am going to get a shot on Carstensz, a couple of months too late for record, but I want to finish the work anyway.

I am going 8th May with Manado Safaris and Franky.

Anybody who has some recent news from the mountain ?, I would appreciate that.

Thanks & regards
Søren

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #22 on: May 1 2006, 03:40 »

Søren

I do not have any news on the current situation of Carstensz but I wish you the best of luck on this climb. It is wonderful that you are getting a chance to finish your quest!
Go for it!!!

MC   ;D
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: May 1 2006, 10:31 »

Hi Soren
There is a comprehensive travel warning for the West Papua region, so I presume if you get into trouble your insurance will be voided.
Given that you are only flying in right to and out of the Zebra Wall it is unlikely that you will encouter issues.
Is it enjoyable just to whip in and bag the peak?
Wouldnt it be nice to trek into the region and actually spend time with the locals and also to give something back to the West Papuan people?
Must be very expensive flying in by helicopter from Indonesia. Are you going with a group of other similiar wealthy clients?
I will be trekking into the region in the future and look forward to spending time with the local people and learning of their culture and struggle for independance.
Kind Regards
Roger

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #24 on: May 1 2006, 23:13 »

Hi!

I've learned that 4 Japanese climbers haves summited Carstensz in March 2006, so it is open for climbers. 2 friends are going on May 8 with Mountain Trip (organized by Franky), so you might see them over there.

As for myself, I'm planning that trip in August 2006. Good luck and post your experience of the climb when you get back.

MikeW

Søren Gudmann

« Reply #25 on: May 3 2006, 22:05 »

To Roger about flying in to Carstenz:

While I do have sympathy with the Papua people and their wish to be independent, it must remind you that they have chosen an attitude that is equally agressive to tourists/climbers as it is to Indonesia. In february climbers on the jungle trek where threatened, and told there were equally unwelcome as Indonesians. They do apparently not want people from around the world to know their story and help them tell it.

And I do not have any bad feelings about being able to pay for my own sport.

To Mike W thanks

Best regards
Søren

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: May 5 2006, 11:28 »

Der Soren

I wish you well with your expedition. Please do not feel threatened by my questioning the great expense to fly in and out. I just find it sad that none of the large amounts of money given to the Indonesian expedition people finds its way to the Papuan people but then I guess that is just part of their issue with Indonesians and American companies who are raping and absolutely ruining the very mountain and region you are travelling into.

It will be good to hear of your trip report. When do you expect to be in the region? Will you be with a large group?

All the best

Roger

Eduard

• Carstensz Operator
  • Armchair...
  • Altitude: -1
  • Carstensz BC 1993
« Reply #27 on: May 5 2006, 18:56 »

Dear Soren,
I just want to let you know, recently Carstensz Area are being Very Wet. Much of rain after 2p.m. Year 2004 and 2005 weathers in May should be dry. The latest trip to Carstensz area (East Peak) is last week by 8 members of Mining Employee interest group.

I wish you All the BEST !
Thanks and Regards,
Eduard - Timika.

Carstensz Pyramid trip

Well it seems that I am going to get a shot on Carstensz, a couple of months too late for record, but I want to finish the work anyway.

I am going 8th May with Manado Safaris and Franky.

Anybody who has some recent news from the mountain ?, I would appreciate that.

Thanks & regards
Søren

sören gudmann

« Reply #28 on: May 7 2006, 13:47 »

Thanks guys

I will arrive in Manado tomorrow, so summit day is approx. 1,5 week down the road.
Would have loved to experience more of Papua, but this trip is mainly to do the climb.

Regards
Sören

Soren Gudmann

« Reply #29 on: May 19 2006, 19:35 »

Hi all

Then I finally managed to get to Carstensz. I summited 14th May , about 0900. We had a an absolutely beautiful day without a drop of rain or snow, and it is a nice climb.
I did not make a record, but become one of two persons who have made the Seven including Carstensz within 1 year, as far as I know for the time being.

Best regards
Soren Gudmann ;)

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #30 on: May 20 2006, 00:22 »

Hi Soren,

Congrats on your determination and accomplishment!!

John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #31 on: May 20 2006, 00:59 »

Echoing Mountain John's words...CONGRATS!

Good for you, Soren, doing the Carstensz and the Kosciusko version.  Though either version of the "7" is an amazing accomplishment.  And to do it within one year...well done!

Keep climbing
MC     :)
« Last Edit: May 20 2006, 01:05 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.