7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 3948 times)

Corrin

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 9
  • Go hard or go home, but don't go home hard!
Getting Started
« on: Nov 10 2005, 01:54 »

Hello all,
I am new here, and I have just recently started some climbing over the last 3 or 4 years.  I have made it my goal to summit the seven peaks by the time I am 30 years old (I am 24 right now).  I was wondering how I could get started - any tips?  I am taking some ice climbing lessons this winter, but is there anything else I need to know to help me start my journey?  Am I not giving myself enough time?  ???

Thanks for your advice!

Corrin
p.s.  I live in Canada just a short trip from the Rocky Mountains if this helps.
"As in any alpine region, the weather is changeable, protection questionable, route-finding bewildering, rockfall frequent and descents tedious. In short, it's everything you could ever ask for."

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10 2005, 02:40 »

Hey Corrin!

Ice climbing is good, but you should also take a mountaineering class this winter to help you with the self arrest, crampons technique, crevasse rescue, etc. Rock climbing is also good indoor and outdoor.

But most of all, go climbing and hiking in the Rockies, summer and winter, go as high as possible to get the feeling about altitude. You're lucky to have that playground closeby, I'm from Montreal and our mountains are quite small compared to yours ;D

The last thing you need is one of the most important one, MONEY. Kili, Elbrus and Aconcagua are not that expensive, but the others are.

Cheers and good luck with your project, I have already 3 of the 7 done, doing my 4th in January.

MikeW

Brad

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10 2005, 21:02 »

Corrin,

I too am just getting in to climbing.  I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro this past summer and got hooked.  I am seriously considering attempting another summit in the next 12 months.  I am hoping to take some mountaineering courses this spring since I have no previous training.  I am 27 and live in Louisiana (well below sea level) however I do have a second home in Colorado where I hope to get some training in.

In trying to plan a trip it's hard to find people who can take several weeks off of work or afford some of these summit attempts. :-\  What summit are you interested in trying first?  When do you plan on going?

Brad

Corrin

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 9
  • Go hard or go home, but don't go home hard!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11 2005, 00:01 »

Brad,
    Well, I was thinking of trying Denali first.  I realize that it is a big one to start on, but flying to Alaska is pretty close for me, plus I have some friends who live up there. 
  My plan is to start climbing after I get my first job teaching.  I am thinking I would like to try Denali in the summer of 2007.  I realize that this is a very long time away, but financially I need to wait until then.
  If you do ever want to come up north to hike/climb/boulder/backpack in the Rockies, let me know.  We have some great peaks up this way (Mount Alberta, for example).

I hope everything is going well in Louisiana,
Thanks,
Corrin
"As in any alpine region, the weather is changeable, protection questionable, route-finding bewildering, rockfall frequent and descents tedious. In short, it's everything you could ever ask for."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.