7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take over my Life??????  (Read 6261 times)

Corrin

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 9
  • Go hard or go home, but don't go home hard!
Take over my Life??????
« on: Nov 18 2005, 02:16 »

I have been discussing my plans to Summit all 7 with some friends, and many have said that this endeavor will take over my life.  They say that I will have no time for anything besides the summits.  My boyfriend has even said that he doesn't think he can support me because he believes that the summits will become my life. For those of you in the process, is this true?  Will the summits take over my life?  Or will I have time for friends, family, and a career?  I am a teacher so summers are always free, but is this enough?  Please be honest, no matter what the answer. 

:eek)
"As in any alpine region, the weather is changeable, protection questionable, route-finding bewildering, rockfall frequent and descents tedious. In short, it's everything you could ever ask for."

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
Re: Take over my Life??????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18 2005, 16:15 »

Don't know if this one is serious?....People dedicate their lives to all sorts of things! what if you wanted to do something else like play football or write a novel? are these not things that might 'take over your life' too. Would your friends and boyfriend also not support you in these?

Climbing mountains does not have to take over your life. There is such a thing as balance and i know many climbers who manage to do other things as well as climb. Look at MoT - Climber/Doctor/Musician etc etc etc ;)

So your boyfriend won't support you in your dream to climb the 7 summits? well here's an idea...ditch him and get yourself a boyfriend who will support you or better still get one who climbs mountains too    >:D

A friend of mine told me his friends call him a freak for spending 5 hours on the hills on a Sunday. These are people who think nothing of spending those 5 hours or more sitting in the pub on a Sunday... Its all about priorities. If you really want to do it ignore the negativity and start saving  8)
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Corrin

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 9
  • Go hard or go home, but don't go home hard!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19 2005, 02:40 »

Daisy,

Thanks for the sound advice.  This is the response I have been giving my friends and boyfriend.  I too believe in balance.  I too want to spend my entire weekends and time off climbing.  I really liked your point on how some people will spend 5 hours + in the pub, or even watching TV.  I also liked your point about priorities.

Thanks, now I have some retorts for when they try and discourage me again!!!
"As in any alpine region, the weather is changeable, protection questionable, route-finding bewildering, rockfall frequent and descents tedious. In short, it's everything you could ever ask for."

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20 2005, 04:30 »

Hey Daisy,

You forgot to mention boozing! Very important that Arthur Guinness gets a mention!  ;D

Corrin - it doesn't have to take over your life. A lot of people thought my job woulod leave me no time to do anything else but there's ALWAYS time for everything else. Heck I worked 108 hours one week, played 3 gigs with my band and STILL managed time for an 8 hour climb of the Glencloghan Horseshoe in Connemara in the one week. That left about 37 hours for eating, drinking and sleeping!

Don't be discouraged - if you enjoy it you'll find others around who do too. Go for it

Milan

• Buckle up baby, it's a bumpy ride
  • Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
    • dutch picture industry (filmcompany)
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11 2006, 18:44 »

Hey MoT,

what about spending some time with  friends :-*

I think like Daisy said, that balance is the keyword for everything. But will your boyfriend believe in this, that's for u to decide.
Believing in yourself and the power to become everything you like and still do whatever you have to do is a very nice quality.
Maybe one day I'll do the 7 summits to. Good luck
follow me..... or show me the way

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11 2006, 19:49 »

Ditch the boyfriend!  ;D Romance causes too much hassle anyway >:D

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11 2006, 23:36 »

I am curious to know a particular stat.  Regarding the 7 summits, who has the record for climbing all 7 and being the oldest to start?  I don't mean the oldest to finish but rather the oldest to start and finish all 7.  Just curious.

MC    ::)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12 2006, 07:34 »

I am curious to know a particular stat.  Regarding the 7 summits, who has the record for climbing all 7 and being the oldest to start?  I don't mean the oldest to finish but rather the oldest to start and finish all 7.  Just curious.

MC    ::)

i havent started.....but dont think i am the oldest....or maybe i should wait till i am older? hehehehe  O0
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.