7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Researching Kilimanjaro Outfitters  (Read 24788 times)

Tatro43

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -1
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Researching Kilimanjaro Outfitters
« on: Jan 12 2006, 01:42 »

Hello all,

I am researching some outfitters for a climb in January 07, and am wondering if anyone has every used this company?

EWP (UK) Executive Wilderness Programmes

www,ewpnet.com/Kili.htm

This looks like a fine company, but I want to know if any of YOU all have used them???

Please let me know.

Thank You
« Last Edit: Jan 13 2006, 04:37 by 7summits »

Brad

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
Re: Researching Kilimanjaro Outfitters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12 2006, 21:31 »

I don't know anything about that company but the company I used last summer was spectacular.  Nature Discovery www,naturediscovery.com was really great to our group and was reasonably priced.  We had 6 people and paid about $2,800 for a 7 day ascent of Kilimanjaro and a 4 day safari afterwards.  Everything was included in the price for the entire trip execpt maybe 1 or 2 meals.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: Jan 13 2006, 04:37 by 7summits »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13 2006, 04:36 »

I don't know anything about that company but the company I used last summer was spectacular.  Nature Discovery naturediscovery.com was really great to our group and was reasonably priced.  We had 6 people and paid about $2,800 for a 7 day ascent of Kilimanjaro and a 4 day safari afterwards.  Everything was included in the price for the entire trip execpt maybe 1 or 2 meals.

Hope this helps
You could have saved yourself over $1000 and have gone with 7summits.com ... Even with 2006 prices we are still under $2000!
see
http://7summits.com/kilimanjaro/trips.php

btw, EWP uses Zara for local logistics, just like 7summits does.
Cheers,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Tatro43

• Armchair...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13 2006, 08:23 »

Harry,
Thank you for the reply....But I have a question.

What did you mean by "Local Logistics"??

Thank you again.....

Chris

mparsons

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15 2006, 20:50 »

cost and timing aside, we highly recommend you take a look at Tusker (www.tusker.com).
no not the beer, the climb company. there adherence to safety, excellent guides, and awesome porters are unmatched on kili.  we went with them in december and discussed other climbers experiences with ours on the way up and the way down.  worth consideration.
the guides are trained and certified wilderness first responders and their hiring criteria for porters (the "local logistics") is impressive.

mp

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15 2006, 21:23 »

Harry,
Thank you for the reply....But I have a question.

What did you mean by "Local Logistics"??

Thank you again.....

Chris

hey chris,

most if not all the western companies work hand in hand with the local (tanzanian) companies. the local companies will then supply the porters, guides, and arrange all the logistics in kili on behalf of the western companies. some western companies also send a western guide along, though they tend to charge a lot more. examples of the local outfitters are zara, kili warriors, etc.

its good that you do your research before you go, but check out who the local outfitters are for these western companies. sometimes, the western companies are good, but their local outfitters arent good. i cant say which are good and which arent...depends a lot on your comfort level. some of us can make do with basic stuff....some wants more comfort.

its also not just the pricing....sometimes too expensive dont mean good service. too cheap can be dangerous too...lest they hire guides that arent experience. look ard the forum. lots of people here have been to kili....

i'll let you know if the company i'm going with is good.....after my trip later part of this year.... ;D

i've done my research too u know   8)

cheers mate!
jk
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

• Hiker
  • I'm too lazy to update this text!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17 2006, 01:18 »

I went via EWP - who indeed book local services at Zara.

I was thoroughly content with the service. Didn't pay a penny too much nor did I feel I was economizing excessively on anything important.

Having said that, I did bring my own sleeping bag / inflatable mattress and I suggest you do this too.

Kilimanjaro (2005), Elbrus (2006), Kosciuszko (2010), next is Aconcagua

Larry

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22 2006, 19:59 »

I also went with EWP, and found everything very smooth. The local guide company was Zara.  I would personally use EWP again.  Thinking about going to Elbrus with them.

John Christiana

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26 2006, 03:57 »

Zara was great.  Nothing but good things to say.  Good food, good lodging, good service, good guide.

I went backwards with it, though, and got the best price.  I booked with Zara (same price as Harry will give) but they had me pay through EWP.  This was just 2 years ago and it was under $1000.  Prices have gone up, but if they were among the best price then, I would think they are now too.  My friend and I threw in a 3-day Safari for like $450. extra.  Others paid over $1000 for that.  Again, this was over 2 years ago.

I am confident Harry will get you the best price.  On my Elbrus trip, I booked through Harry, and I paid the same as those booking direct, and there was no difference on the trip.

John

Tatro43

• Armchair...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30 2006, 07:42 »

Thank you all for replying to my post.

It seems that MANY of you are quite experienced with Kili...and this is a good thing, I can trust what many of you are saying.

I have booked with EWP, and as we know, they use Zara. The trip is planned for january 07, and we have made a few changes in our Itinerary...Like we are camping in the crater one night, and we are taking one whole day to cave explore and search the cathedral....

So, now I am trying to get my equipment together, and am short a few things....

The boots post that I made on this forum is my main concern:

http://7summits.com/forum/index.php?topic=1169.0

Also, I need some mid-layers, and gloves...so I'd appreciate some help here. I was looking today at some midlayers at REI from Mountian hardware, and patagonia, but they are all so darn expensive.....Any thoughts??

Really....Thank you all for the help! You guys actually care about other people on these forums...than's a good thing!

Chris

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31 2006, 04:40 »

Chris, couple a things.

Boots for Kili.  I bought Zamberlan boots, and I love them.  They were perfect.  When I tried them on at the REI store, I felt like I was wearing tennis shoes...right from the start....no break-in was needed.  try on different sizes.  So comfort, yet sturdy, is most important.  They are goretex too.  I also used these to travel from BC to ABC on Everest.

As far as cost and gear, it is good you have so much time.  Search around and look for sales, use your 20% off REI on a big item.  Isn't that coming up soon?  I got the best of everything, but everything was on sale.

Max a 5-layer system.  1) synthetic (or any non-cotton) t-shirt    2) same for over shirt (long sleeve)  3) "300" fleese  4) the 700 down jacket was suffice  5) gore-tex shell is optional (for wind and maybe rain protection).

for Denali, i bumped it up to the 800 down-jacket.  I know some people don't focus on gear so much. but for me, i made sure i had the perfect gear for every trip.

Mountain John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31 2006, 09:44 »

Max a 5-layer system.  1) synthetic (or any non-cotton) t-shirt    2) same for over shirt (long sleeve)  3) "300" fleese  4) the 700 down jacket was suffice  5) gore-tex shell is optional (for wind and maybe rain protection).

for Denali, i bumped it up to the 800 down-jacket.  I know some people don't focus on gear so much. but for me, i made sure i had the perfect gear for every trip.

Mountain John

john, just a quick question.....

i have
(1) expedition weight polypropelene thermals
(2) synthetic long sleeve over shirt
(3) midweight fleece (its at least 300 i think)

i am thinking of getting a goretex outer shell. do you reckon it would be good enough for kili? do i need a down jacket? or should i go for down jacket instead of the goretex outer shell. what say you?

i know that the down jacket can be re-used for other summits, but dont know if i should buy them now.

cheers mate!

jk
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31 2006, 15:09 »

hey j-k,

If i had to choose, I would go for the warmth.  having said that, it depends on the season.  Kili is best December and January.  if you go in the Spring, they get the rain, so you would want a light shell.  like Toto's song..."the rains down in Africa".

It doesn't get really cold, until summit day, but then it does get cold, as you leave the camp at 15,000 feet, at midnight and arrive on the summit at 6 or 7 AM.  If you go the Marangu route, you are in huts, but the other routes you are in tents.

But generally, it is best to prepare for the worst, and it could get very cold.  a regular jacket might suffice, as porters are required, so weight is not a huge concern here.

if at all possible, get the zippered, both top and bottom, so you can "cool down" when it is hot, and zip up when it gets cold.  that zipper is like a window in your house.  if you get hot and sweat, you can dehydrate and lose energy and worse (hace).

check this out.  on Denali, on the entire trip, I did not wear the 800 down jacket until the last 4 hours of summit day, but then it was really needed, as we hit a snowstorm on the summit.  it was minus 25 F, at 17,000 feet on the way down.  i should point out though, that we did not spend the night at 17,000 camp, like everyone else.  also, on my lower half, I only wore thermals, synthetic pants, and a thin shell - no fleece - even on the summit.

keep climbing my friend, John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 1 2006, 02:49 »

Hey Mate!

Didn't need my down jacket on Kili at all even on summit day at -15c, but I got a complete day in the rain so bring a Gore-Tex shell, it's a must. But my suggestion would be to bring your down jacket just in case (you don't carry it and you will have it for other mountains).

I just came back from Vinson and I brought down pant that I thought I would never used. But man I was glad to have them to wear when the temperature dropped to -40c / -40f for 2 days.

So always be on the safe side.

MikeW

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: Feb 1 2006, 04:56 »

Hes my input
Kili in July via Western Breach
3 layers on legs, light and mid weight thermals and overpants
4 layers on top, light, mid weight thermals, long sleeve shirt and gore tex shell
Good balaclava, maybe layer of two and hood of jacket over.

Remember to remove layers as you desend as you will get hot. Easy to forget to remove layers when heating up.

You need good gloves as you want warm hands, I like outdoor research gloves. Bring gel activated hand warmers also as backup.

Water bottle parkas from Outdoor research to keep your nalgene bottles from freezing over.

Make sure sleeping bag is warm enough, I use feathered friends

If going via breach dont go at night-no point and stay overnight at crater.

Bring your own tasty treats that you are used to.  Power bars are good and they force you to drink more water. The gels are easier to stomach though.

Cheers
Roger

Mary Clare

« Reply #15 on: Feb 1 2006, 05:20 »

Water bottle parkas from Outdoor research to keep your nalgene bottles from freezing over.

Hey Roger

Great tip...What stores carry Outdoor research?  I've been out of the loop with mountaineering gear.  I'm not familiar with this line.

Thanks
MC

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 1 2006, 09:59 »

Hi MC

http://www.orgear.com/home/page/home

top bar find a dealer

Hope this helps
Roger

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 1 2006, 10:55 »

Roger

There are dealers for O.R. fairly close to where I live.  Thank you very much.

MC     :D
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #18 on: Feb 2 2006, 01:12 »

Hey Mate!

Didn't need my down jacket on Kili at all even on summit day at -15c, but I got a complete day in the rain so bring a Gore-Tex shell, it's a must. But my suggestion would be to bring your down jacket just in case (you don't carry it and you will have it for other mountains).

I just came back from Vinson and I brought down pant that I thought I would never used. But man I was glad to have them to wear when the temperature dropped to -40c / -40f for 2 days.

So always be on the safe side.

MikeW

Mike! Welcome back, I assume you summited?
It was so nice to finally meet you!

(Mike and I briefly met, when he was landing on Vinson, I was heading out  8)

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 2 2006, 02:14 »

Hi Harry!

Yep I did in quite beautiful weather (a bit of wind but hey it's Antarctica ;D). I will post some pics soon.

I was glad to finally meet you in person!!! Great job for the 7 btw.

MikeW
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.