7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Situation in Nepal  (Read 4139 times)

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
Situation in Nepal
« on: Feb 5 2006, 17:34 »

hi folks,

i've been reading about the situation in Nepal. its getting from bad to worse, with the military and the rebels having a go at each other.

just wondering what impact this will have, considering that the climbing season is almost here.

jk
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
Re: Situation in Nepal
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6 2006, 15:14 »

jk,

always a general worry, but no one should let it effect their Everest plans.  of course, always check the latest reports

last year, just a month before the Everest season, the King had shut down the Kathmandu airport, and jammed all phone lines, including cell phones.  no communication in or out.  I was a little worried but still went with my plans.  well, it was resolved in a couple weeks or so.

then, of course, we had the rebels call the transportation strike about April 1, but even that passed.

when i climbed Kili, the us govt. put out a travel advisory again travel in Kenya.  well, I went anyway, and had a great time.  but i will say, my friend and i were the only Americans on the mountain.

John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

Rajan

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8 2006, 21:31 »

It may sound silly, but there is not trouble in every part of Nepal. The only problem is when there are general shutdowns of transport. But these only last a day or two. A week at most and you will find out about it in advance. So, if you prepare your plan ahead with a cushion time in between, you should be all right. Once you're outside of the political arena (mainly cities), life is pretty much normal in the country, unless there is a clash between the rebels and the army. But what are the chances of that happening at where you will be?
Rajan

jk,

always a general worry, but no one should let it effect their Everest plans.  of course, always check the latest reports

last year, just a month before the Everest season, the King had shut down the Kathmandu airport, and jammed all phone lines, including cell phones.  no communication in or out.  I was a little worried but still went with my plans.  well, it was resolved in a couple weeks or so.

then, of course, we had the rebels call the transportation strike about April 1, but even that passed.

when i climbed Kili, the us govt. put out a travel advisory again travel in Kenya.  well, I went anyway, and had a great time.  but i will say, my friend and i were the only Americans on the mountain.

John

Andreas

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -3
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11 2006, 18:55 »

Just read that a norwegian woman, Cecilie Skog, had to cancelled her atempt on Cartsenz because of threats from a guerilla group somewhere in the jungle. Carstenz was her last mountain to complete the seven summits. She is now heading for Kouschikou instead.
"I never drink water, that is the stuff that rusts pipes"

W. S. Fields
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.