7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cecilie Skog Cartsenz (translation required pls)  (Read 15058 times)

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer

Hi all

Does anyone know a site which has an english version of these weblogg.  Alternatively if someoone could translate from Feb 4. I am curious if she was trekking in via Ilaga as I see the name but do not understand the remainder. I need to know where she encountered problems.

http://www.dagbladet.no/weblogg/blog.php/cecsko31

Thankyou
Roger

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Cecilie Skog Cartsenz (translation required pls)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12 2006, 16:02 »

Hi Roger,

I cannot translate but know they were stopped in the jungle, after being 'threatened by local militia'.
No details yet, am trying to find out more.

They are headed for Kosciuszko now, so Cecilie can finish at leat one of the 7summits versions..

Cheers, Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Andreas

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -3
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12 2006, 16:55 »

Hi all

Does anyone know a site which has an english version of these weblogg.  Alternatively if someoone could translate from Feb 4. I am curious if she was trekking in via Ilaga as I see the name but do not understand the remainder. I need to know where she encountered problems.

http://www.dagbladet.no/weblogg/blog.php/cecsko31

Thankyou
Roger

Hi!
On her blogg from februar the 6th she describes the life in the Ilaga village so she is probarbly going in via there. From the 4th she is only talking about how most of her porters disepeard and how she is struggeling in the jungle.
She is also giving the position that is 3 dgr 58 min South og 137 dgr 38 min east

« Last Edit: Feb 12 2006, 17:22 by Andreas »
"I never drink water, that is the stuff that rusts pipes"

W. S. Fields

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12 2006, 17:31 »

Much appreciated Andreas

Roger

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13 2006, 06:07 »

Danish Everest summiteer Søren Gudmann (43) is going for the 7+1 Zummits in record time, namely less than 7 months. If things turn out according to plans, he will:

·   be the first Dane to finalize the seven
·   beat the existing record of 7 months, incl. Kosciusko
·   beat the existing record of 10 months, incl. Carstenz Pyramid
·   be the first Nordic person to do all 8

The end of the year will be hectic. This is the program: Kilimanjaro 23.09 – 06.10, Carstenz Pyramid 13.11 – 29.11, Mt. Vinson 02.12 – 19.12 and Aconcagua 20.12 –

I know Søren has completed 7 in record time.  I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not he has summited Carstenz Pyramid. (I am assuming he hasn't yet)  If not, when is he scheduled to climb it?  His original plan was for mid to end of Nov. 2005.  Is the situation with the local militia currently a  problem for anyone wanting to climb C.P.?

MC     ???
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13 2006, 07:24 »

Hi Roger,

I cannot translate but know they were stopped in the jungle, after being 'threatened by local militia'.
No details yet, am trying to find out more.

They are headed for Kosciuszko now, so Cecilie can finish at leat one of the 7summits versions..

Cheers, Harry

hey harry,

i think i know why she was stopped. not because she's a woman. not because she's a foreigner. i think she's stopped because she's a norwegian....on her posting for 04 Feb, she mentioned about the cartoon controversy involving the muslim prophet.

norway and denmark were the first to publish the controversial cartoons. ever since then, the people of these two countries have taken the flak all over the world. finland has been spared among the scandinavian countries.

Carstensz is part of Indonesia, which is the world most populous muslim nation. until the situation die down, its best not to let people know you are from scandinavian countries, especially if you travel to places like indonesia or the middle east.

its just for your safety, as some of these people are extremists and fanatics.

cheerio mate....
jk
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13 2006, 07:31 »

Very interesting insight, JK.  I always enjoy your 2 cents worth!

MC      :D

Andreas

• Scrambler
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14 2006, 02:58 »

hey harry,

i think i know why she was stopped. not because she's a woman. not because she's a foreigner. i think she's stopped because she's a norwegian....on her posting for 04 Feb, she mentioned about the cartoon controversy involving the muslim prophet.

norway and denmark were the first to publish the controversial cartoons. ever since then, the people of these two countries have taken the flak all over the world. finland has been spared among the scandinavian countries.

Carstensz is part of Indonesia, which is the world most populous muslim nation. until the situation die down, its best not to let people know you are from scandinavian countries, especially if you travel to places like indonesia or the middle east.

its just for your safety, as some of these people are extremists and fanatics.

cheerio mate....
jk

On her blogg from 11 february she explain that it had nothing nothing to do with the cartoons but is more an issue of an group that fights for  independence of Papua Ny Guinea from Indonesia.  It was a group called "Free West Papua Movement" that stopped her by giving a note/letter witch said something like " You are not welcome in this area. We dont want either foreigner nor indonesians, and if you continue you do that on your own risk. Neogotiatons with dollar or words will not be accepted

But of course you should be careful if your country have published the cartoons and you are in a muslim country.
« Last Edit: Feb 14 2006, 03:12 by Andreas »

W. S. Fields

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14 2006, 04:38 »

Actually though Indonesia is the bigggest muslim country, Irian Jaya has been catholic mostly as a result of the missionaries and dutch occupation.
You will also see the locals eat porc.

The OPM has been fighting for independence ever since the strange 'vote' in 1969... but the financial interest of USA & Indonesia is so big (Freeport mine) that money will keep that from happening...  :?)

And btw, Indonesians are amongst the most friendly people on earth. They will welcome any person in their house, no matter from what country, and share their last piece of bread with you, it is one of the pillars of Islam. Do not let your vision of the world get blurred by fear, media and extremists, western nor eastern..
Peace, Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14 2006, 07:02 »

andreas, what did her blog for the 4th feb say then?

hmm... perhaps they should blow up Carstensz so that it is no longer the highest summit in Oceania...too much politicial overtones.........

then we can go to the next highest summit....  ;D

Andreas

• Scrambler
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14 2006, 13:06 »

andreas, what did her blog for the 4th feb say then?

hmm... perhaps they should blow up Carstensz so that it is no longer the highest summit in Oceania...too much politicial overtones.........

then we can go to the next highest summit....   

You mean the last part with
For øvrig merker vi lite til kampen om Muhammed-karikaturer her nede. Tror kanskje de er litt løsere i snippen her. Her er det jo jungelens lov, og ikke sharia som gjelder.

?

I will try to translate it directly:
By the way we havent noticed any anger because of the Muhammed-cartoon down here. Maybe thay are a little bit less sensible about it here. Here it is the law of the jungle that matters, not sharia.

I don`t think blowing up the mountain is a good idea, too noisy... Instead someone should build a gondola-track there. Than it would be very easy to summit, and therefore people would choose Mt. Cook as the highest mountain of Oceania and climb that instead. But this is of course another discusson...  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 14 2006, 14:13 by Andreas »

W. S. Fields

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15 2006, 19:45 »

***cough*** Mt Wilhelm ***cough**
 ;)
Anyway, the Freeport way is doing their best to remove all mountains in the area..
They are digging very close to CP now and reportedly already underneath.

My friend and Everest teammember Petter Kragset talked to Cecilies teammate on thsi CP climb:
"He told me that a little bit after they left Ilaga, they met a man with a message from the OPM that said that nobody, could be safe if they went further, porters and people from the goverment included. It wouldn't help having permission from the goverment, dollars or any negotiations. Therefore they gave up. "

Cheers,
Harry

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15 2006, 20:32 »

we should send them encouragement cards...ask them to dig faster....so that we can climb the next highest peak....

so much problems just to get to CP....*sigh*

bbd

• Armchair...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18 2006, 19:31 »

we should send them encouragement cards...ask them to dig faster....so that we can climb the next highest peak....

so much problems just to get to CP....*sigh*

I'm not sure if this was a joke or a serious note, either way, this is probably one of the worst ideas ever.  First of all, you propose to get rid of the problem so "we" can climb the next highest peak. By saying that you show how selfish and immature you are. As long as the mountain is there, I see no problem in waiting for the situation to be resolved the best way possible.

People who want to climb the seven summits do it for personal reasons rather than to impress people. When you argument that if it's not there anymore people could move on to the next highest peak you would be somewhat settling for a lesser/different challenge. In other words, it will not be the same thing.

Gangkhar Puensum, in Bhutan is believed to be the highest unclimbed mountain in the world since climbing in the country is prohibited. In your view, the solution to the problem is to destroy the mountain, so the next highest unclimbed peak is open, and if not, destroying a series of mountains until there are no political or other non natural obstacles. The thing is, governments change over time and in the future the country may open the mountain to climbers. So, the best solution is to wait.

What do you think the people who actually climbed the Carstensz Pyramid would say? Their memories of the summit would be saddened by the knowledge that it no longer exists.

If anything people should be fighting so the mining would stop in the area so in the future people would have the opportunity to experience the view from the top of the Carstensz Pyramid. 
bbd

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19 2006, 21:34 »

dude,

you have to lighten up a bit....i wasnt serious abt it. as for the Bhutan example, you put words into my mouth. i never generalise my comments, as i was just talking specifically about CP. and when i said "we", it is a reference to whoever wants to climb. had i said "i" instead of "we", then yes, that would be selfish. but i didnt.

you need to have an open mind and not equate maturity level with just one sentence, as you may not necessarily know what i was really talking about. if in doubt, ask or clarify, instead of slamming.

yes, pple should climb 7 summits for personal reasons, although not all do that. 

take the guy who wanted to summit all 7 mountains in record time. he got stucked because of CP. there are too many political tensions over in CP. just like Nepal right now. if CP is eventually no longer the highest mountain in that part of the world, climbers who wants to complete the 7 summits can simply move on and climb another summit. it also means that new climbers wont hv the opportunity to do what others have done in the past.

if CP is no longer around, although i can climb another summit, it wont be the same if i compare myself to those before me. its just like Everest. they say Everest is getting shorter. does that mean that if one day Everest gets lower than K2, would people climb it as part of the 7 summits?

things come and go...thats life, but memories will always remain in our minds and hearts.

as for the mining situation, i wont wanna get involved in that discussion as it is a political conflict within that region. just like the conflict between the rebels and Nepali government.

cheerio mate....
 ;D

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20 2006, 07:20 »

People who want to climb the seven summits do it for personal reasons rather than to impress people.

I believe the majority of climbers do the 7 summits for personal reasons but there are definitely climbers who do it for both.     ::)     (I am sure we all know of one or two.)  Whatever the reasons climbers choose to do the big 7, it is O.K. so long as they do not endanger fellow climbers (including sherpas and porters) as they persue their hopes, dreams and goals.
By the way, it seemed pretty obvious to me that jk was not "serious" about his comment to encourage the Freeport way to dig faster!!!

Cheers
MC

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20 2006, 14:23 »

By the way Cecilie has climbed Kosciuszko instead, so she has finished that version of the 7summits!

Congrats Cecilie  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 21 2006, 13:17 by 7summits »

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21 2006, 10:02 »

All the politics set aside...good for Cecilie to make the best of the situation and climb Kosciuszko to complete the 7 summits. I hope Cecilie will be able to climb Carstensz Pyramid in the near future. But more importantly I truly hope this conflict and the fight for independence vs. capitalism will somehow get resolved. From the sounds of things, it may take a long time.
But again, a sincere congratulations to Cecilie!!!

MC

Andreas

• Scrambler
« Reply #18 on: Mar 2 2006, 22:03 »

Read that she is heading for the north pole right now. Where does people like she take the energy from?   :eek)

W. S. Fields
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 23 queries.