7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puncak Jaya (Carstensz)access  (Read 3552 times)

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
Puncak Jaya (Carstensz)access
« on: Feb 25 2006, 15:46 »

The Freeport mine production has been suspended for 4 days now and I mean totally. Indonesia is sending in a large number of troops to further protect the mine and assist in qwelling the "peacefull" protest.
local people had barricaded Mile 72-74, a route to PT Freeportís gold mines following a clash between illegal gold miners and the companyís security personnel.
Here is my prediction for Carstenz access for now, all access to the mountain via any route will probably be suspended and it couid be expected that any Surat Julans that have been issued will be revoked and any applications for these permits to this region will be denied.
I could be wrong but as I become more involved in the region and its people you begin to learn just how powerful this company's influence is over the indonesian government and its total control and protection of this region.
It will be interesting if the couple of expedition providers in the region suspend any plans for travel to the region.
I could post tons of stuff on this issue but it probably is of little interest to most.
Cheers
Roger

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Puncak Jaya (Carstensz)access
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26 2006, 06:29 »

Roger

Actually, I find this info very interesting.  There seems to be so much politics and controversy around several of the 7 summits.  Namely Everest and CP.  I think at times even Elbrus has some political challenges.  And certainly, other high altitude peaks have politic issues, also.  Then there is the logistics of just arriving to B.C. at Vinson!  I truly marvel at those individuals who have done the 7 or who are on a quest do to the 7 summits.  The obvious mental and physical stamina requires such dedication and focus.  Then there is the financial aspect of the expeditions.  Even for those who are able to get sponsorship, that requires a lot of time and effort.  But just getting to the base camps of some of these 7 summits is a challenge.  (e.g. the 2005 7summit and 7summit-club Everest expedition was an amazing feat in itself just to get to base camp!)
So thanks for the information on the "politics" surrounding C.P.  You seem to do your research well and it is very interesting.

Cheers
MC   :D

"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Puncak Jaya (Carstensz)access
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26 2006, 16:16 »

Hi Roger,

this is very interesting, for everybody. Yes, the U$D speaks louder than human rights and climber's ambitions over there. Freeport can forbid people using the mine route, but officially they cannot stop people climbing in the park as it is just outside the boundaries (see also the pictures I posted in the Carstensz section).
But money speaks louder than rules.  :_)

Yes MC, many times the actual climbing is the easy part. Getting funds, and physically getting there are queste's in their own right. But that is all part of the great adventure that is called the 7 summits!

But I can tell you that running a company trying to get these trips set up properly is even more challenging  ;D

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.