7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accident on Kilimanjaro in February - any information?  (Read 6955 times)

Helle

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 3
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Hi

As I was on my way to the summit of Kilimanjaro, leading af group of Danish climbers, an accident happened. An american climber fell into the crater, app. 10 minutes from Uhuru Peak.
He was brought up by a group of Tanzanian guides and I returned from Uhuru with my First Aid kit - trying to provide what little help I could. He was severely injured.

I know he was American, his name was Steve and he was a physician. He was with a friend named Dough, I think, who also was a physician. They were climbing with a guide from the company "Good Earth". I know that a third American participated, but he returned at Gilman's Point.

Does anyone know anything? I left Steve and Dough with four Tanzanian guides at about 2 o'clock, for Barafu camp to push the rescue team.

I will be very grateful to know how everything went. I know Steve was hospitalised in Moshi and transferred to Nairobi on the following day.

Best regards
Helle

Cy Kaicener

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
Re: Accident on Kilimanjaro in February - any information?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27 2006, 06:10 »

Here is a little information but not much
http://english.sina.com/life/1/2006/0222/66552.html

Helle

• Armchair...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27 2006, 11:21 »

Thank you, Cy

This must be another climber. The climber, I assisted, was unconscious but alive, when he was brought to Moshi. The accident was very close to Uhuru Peak og not near Gilman's Point. We brought him to Stella Point, while waiting for the rescue team.. I think he climbed the Marangu Route - he came from Kibo hut.

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27 2006, 19:39 »

What were the circumstances surounding the fall? And anyway, how do you fall into the crater? It's not like the edge is hard to miss - it's a pretty broad path leading up to Uhuru... Was the guy peering over the edge of an overhanging rock?

Helle

• Armchair...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27 2006, 19:48 »

He was on his way back from Uhuru Peak among a bunch of people. Ten minutes from Uhuru there is a spot with rocks. You can either walk in the middle or you can walk on the edge of the crater. He stood still at the edge, looking into the crater, when he suddenly lost his balance and fell - head first.
It is not a dangerous spot, and his friend couldn't explain the exact reason for the fall. You will have to pass the rocks in a narrow part of the trail, though. But this didn't happen for any reason. It just happened.

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28 2006, 02:00 »

Helle

He is still doing well, and in Nairobi, Kenya.

He is supposed to fly back to US in the next few days.

Kind Regards
Roger

Helle

• Armchair...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28 2006, 02:36 »

Thank you again, Roger.

My best regards and wishes.

Helle

sak

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15 2006, 12:00 »

I just came back from Mt. Kilimanjaro.  When I got back to Wisconsin, my parents gave me an article on Steve Ziebell from Port Washington, WI.  (a supburb just north of Milwaukee)

This information comes from an article on the front page of the Ozaukee Press dated March 9, 2006. 

Steve Ziebell is a pharmacist who was climbing with Port Washington physicians Doug McManus and Bob Pfeffer.  Pfeffer had altitiude sickness and did not make the trek after the last camp.  Ziebell and McManus made it to the summit on the morning of February 14.

On the way down, Ziebell apparently reached into his backpack for water when he hit his head on an overhanging rock.  He fell 20 feet into a crevasse seriously injuring himself.

Several guides carried him out of the crevasse.  He was taken down by stretcher to the Kilimanjaro hospital.  He had severe bleeding in his brain as well as a fractured eye socket and a torn ear.

He was helicoptored to a hospital in Nairobi where he had brain surgery and plastic surgery.  He was released on March 1 and is currently recovering at home in Wisconsin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.