7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TopOut oxygen masks  (Read 10191 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
TopOut oxygen masks
« on: Mar 16 2006, 12:50 »

I was wondering what the consensus was regarding the TopOut masks and were designed by Ted Atkins in 2003.  These masks are supposed to provide a good seal around your face to help conserve oxygen and prevent goggles from fogging up.  It is also suggested that the mask pools oxygen in a reservoir so that when you are breathing out, more oxygen is available when you are breathing in.

MC
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: TopOut oxygen masks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16 2006, 21:23 »

Haven't tried nor seen them yet.

It sounds good, though I wonder what hapens with the exhaled moist air, as even in the more open Poisk masks that tends to freeze, luckily mostly on the outside, but you still bave to 'empty' the mask every now and then, to prevent freezing the valve.

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: TopOut oxygen masks
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18 2006, 06:08 »

Haven't tried nor seen them yet.

It sounds good, though I wonder what hapens with the exhaled moist air, as even in the more open Poisk masks that tends to freeze, luckily mostly on the outside, but you still bave to 'empty' the mask every now and then, to prevent freezing the valve.

Cheers,
Harry

Well, you are exactly right.  Upon posing the question regarding the the exhaled moist air possibly freezing, I received this answer.  "Apparently this has been a problem with these masks, as it is with all masks, and I do know that this year they have modified the exhaust air valve to try to reduce this, but I am not 100% sure of the details".

I think the idea is great, it may need more testing and fine tuning.  Here is a link from MountEverest.net that talks about all the current oxygen systems including the TopOut.
http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=1294

Cheers
MC
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 23 queries.