7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrow Glacier Rock Collapse and other stories thereafter -Kilimanjaro, Tanzania  (Read 3584 times)

aboutkilimanjaromt

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

On 5th January 2006, Reports Thursday from park officials at Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro confirm that three climbers from the United States were killed by a rare rockfall event high on the mountain. The climbers were asleep in their tent before an alpine start for the summit of Africa's highest peak when boulders rained down on their camp. The climbers died when large rocks crushed the tent where they were sleeping Wednesday.
The dead were identified as Kristian Ferguson, 27, of Longmont, Colo.; Mary Lou Sammis, 58, of Huntington, N.Y., and Betty Orrik Sapp, 63, of Melrose, Mass.
More than 50 climbers were evacuated from the climbing route and campsite near Arrow Glacier at about 4,800 metres (15,800ft). Park official speculate that global warming, which has caused significant melting to Kilimanjaro's glaciers, might have loosened the rocks, which triggered the rockfall.
Preliminary reports indicate that rockfall or avalanche on Kilimanjaro's Arrow glacier has taken the lives of at least four North American climbers and possibly local guides as well, according to climbers and guides on the scene in Tanzania. The party involved in the accident was said to have left late in the day, rather than early in the morning, as is the norm on Africa's highest peak.

The arrow glacier-machame route was temporarily closed for investigation and making situation better for climbers.

More stories go to[/url] http://www.freewebs.com/kilimanjarotanzanite[/url]

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Thank you for the backgrounders. I had to remove the otehr post as it was an total advertisement. You are welcome to share info and discuss here, but it is a commerical site and we organise Kilimanjaro trips ourselves. If you want to advertise, buy Google ads and you will appear on the top of the pages. But that way, you will at least be donating towards the server fund ;-)

Thanks,
Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Johan Whlin

Hi,

Just wanted to say that rockfall on western breach (above Arrow glacier) isn't that unusual. When I was there in August a rockfall killed my friend and in December a porter got badly injured from a rock.

Johan Whlin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.