7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everest - Alex reports death of team member, Igor Plyushkin  (Read 10309 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.

Very sad news from Alex of 7summits-club.  On May 22nd, Igor Plyushkin perished after returning to camp 2 at 7800m from his summit attempt on the north side of Everest.  Igor was at approximately 8600 - 8700 m and had not reached the summit when he turned around.  According to Alex, on May 21st, all members of team A had started to descend to camp 3 at 8300 meters by 10:30 am.  At 3 p.m. all team members had reached camp 3.  After 2 hours rest, the team continued down to camp 2 at 7800m, still using oxygen.

http://www.7summits-club.com/index.php3?id=27&idi=120&action=showfull
http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=2088

Igor was a skilled mountaineer (he had climbed all 7000 m peaks in the former USSR.)

My condolences to his family and friends.

MC
« Last Edit: May 23 2006, 14:02 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Lee

My deepest sympathy to family, friends and climbers. Has been a tragic year on Everest. Stay safe the rest of you.

Jamie

This is terrible news. I am so sorry to hear this. Is there any news on the rest of the team? I have not heard anything about my friend David Lien...Thanks
Jamie

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer

Jamie

This is the last reported news I have seen regarding David Lien.  According to Alex Abramov, David descended back to АВС from the height of 8000 m. I do not know if he is making a second attempt.

http://www.7summits-club.com/index.php3?id=27&idi=119&action=showfull

MC

Jamie, here is an update:
Message from Harry on May 20th - "Just a quick update: 4 members have come down: Petter Kragset, Johnny Brevik, Frode & David Lien have safely arrived back in ABC and will go home. They felt not strong enough to push further than 7700m camp, so they are alive and well, which is the most important thing right now."

« Last Edit: Jun 1 2006, 22:49 by mc »

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!

mc, when would you think we may hear of a summit for Harry?
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
Re: Everest 2006 - Progress of Harry
« Reply #5 on: May 24 2006, 10:53 »

Hi Smrtnupp

Remember last year when we were anxiously awaiting news that Harry had made it back down to ABC? I loved your post...Landrover had posted after you. Check it out.

(Landrover is Dale Abenojar,  the guy that Harry saw coming down Everest this year on a yak...twice.) And now it turns out that he may have been the 1st Philippino to summit Everest! There is currently a discrepancy as to who was the 1st Philippino. Dale has to prove his summit claim!

Regarding your question about Harry and Thomas, there are a lot of factors at play as to if and when they summit. Romke just posted this message from Harry today (May 23rd):

"Hello everyone this is Harry calling from 7600 meters. The weather is beautiful, we just came up in four and a half hours from North Col. We're looking down now at ABC 1200 meters below, the views are amazing, it's very nice here. Now we're in camp 2, tomorrow we'll try to reach camp 3 at 8300 meters. If we're strong enough we'll continue to the summit the same night, we is: Thomas and I and 6 sherpas. It should be safe and easy to go up..."

If the weather holds out and they don't run into any problems, they could summit as early as Thurs. the 25th. If they have to stay at C-3 (8300 meters) overnight, they might summit on Fri. the 26th. Let's hope they don't have a repeat of last year at C-3 (2 very windy nights!)

Take care Lee,
MC   :)
« Last Edit: Jul 16 2006, 12:42 by mc »

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion

So sorry to hear of Igor.  Very sad.

As far as Harry and Thomas, based on their good time to camp 2, 7600 meters, they have, weather permitting, now reached Camp 3, 8300 meters.  It is a little past 4 pm Wednesday there.

That means they will, again weather permitting, leave for the summit in 8 hours, and it might take them maybe 10 hours.

Whether they leave camp 3 Thursday morning or Friday morning (probably Thursday morning), they will leave camp 3 at midnight +/- 1 hour.  then hopefully reach the summit late that morning, maybe as late as noon.

I am not sure your time zone.  So...

1) On the internet, do a search for "time zone conversion", put in your time zone, and Kathmandu, Nepal time zone. (to see the difference)
2) Now add 2 hours, 15 minutes to get Tibet time zone.

For instance, in California, I just add 15 hours to get Harry's time.

This is pretty exciting.  But I hope they be safe first, summit second.

Mountain John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
Re: Everest - Progress of Harry
« Reply #7 on: May 24 2006, 20:25 »

Update from Harry

"Now in C3, weather retardedly good, hopefully it'll stay this way tonight! Un abrazo de harry."

So, providing no serious obstacles, their health holds out and weather permitting, they could summit as early as tomorrow, May 25th! Sounds like a great day to summit to me!

Good luck Harry, Thomas and the 6 sherpas that are with you. It is awe inspiring what Thomas is about to attempt...the summit of Everest from the north side without vision! Climb safe, climb strong!

MC    ;D
« Last Edit: May 24 2006, 20:42 by mc »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.