7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Media and David Sharp  (Read 27345 times)

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!
Media and David Sharp
« on: May 25 2006, 06:51 »

I am appalled at the media coverage and scorn for 40 climbers fighting to stay alive themselves. I am not a climber, but follow the expeditions closely. Over the past two years I have read up on the conditions in which these people are climbing to achieve their dream. What I have learnt is should I ever attempt to take on such a feat, I become totally reliant upon and responsible for my own life. Those that climb this mountain are well aware of the dangers, it is their personal decision to take that risk. For those of you that find it disgusting that climbers could walk by, then maybe you ought to educate yourself further on this Mother of all Mountains. While hanging onto you’re your own life by a thread in the same situation would you have done anything different? We were not there, the media was not there, we have no right to judge. Easy to sit in an armchair all comfy in our homes and cast stones at others.

I am sad for Davis Sharp and his Family, and angry with the media for jumping in to make others feel shame.

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Media and David Sharp
« Reply #1 on: May 25 2006, 07:20 »

smrtnupp

I understand your thoughts on this subject. It is interesting because for me, saving another human life is most important in any situation. But I also think Everest is the exception (or any "extreme" high altitude mountain for that matter.) Once you enter the death zone, it is truly you against the harsh elements of nature. (There are exceptions when a climber or climbers can make the brave decision to save another's life on one of these high altitude mountains.)

I'm actually thinking of writing a commentary on Mt. Everest. It is such a fascinating mountain for so many reasons.

MC   
« Last Edit: May 31 2006, 10:16 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 25 2006, 15:29 »

MountEverest.net mentions that "The world is outraged at a double-amputee who used his carbon legs to step over a dying man to reach the summit of Everest" but I've not seen anything like this here in the UK. Any pointers? Sounds like a lot of hot air from people who've probably never managed 4000m let alone 8000m.

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
« Reply #3 on: May 25 2006, 16:14 »

Answering my own question to some extent:

http://www.technorati.com/tags/everest

Chris.
KMi, The Open University

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #4 on: May 25 2006, 16:21 »

Not a perfect person, but a true person.

Cy Kaicener

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #5 on: May 25 2006, 17:34 »

Here are some interesting comments made on a New Zealand newspaper
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/466/story.cfm?c_id=466&ObjectID=10383279

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
« Reply #6 on: May 25 2006, 18:54 »

KMi, The Open University

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
« Reply #7 on: May 25 2006, 20:42 »

The climbers have not even had a chance to tell the facts of what had really happened, just maybe how close to death David was and people around the world are jumping all over climbers and coming to their own conclusions. I guess thats the media for you.

LET THE CLIMBERS SPEAK BEFORE JUDGEMENT IS PASSED. We do not have the full story from those that were there.

There have been many rescues and aborted summit attempts to save lives.  Incredible how this is not mentioned.
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #8 on: May 26 2006, 00:27 »

Yes, I have heard varying stories.  Some climbers say there was nothing they could do anyway.

Respected Everest expeditions warm climbers of the death zone, and there are NO rescues there.  Check out this poll on AOL today.

If you had the money, would you try to scale Everest?
No 90%
Yes 10%
Total Votes: 258,257

Mountain John

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
« Reply #9 on: May 26 2006, 02:57 »

The latest report from the BBC even manages to suggest that New Zealander Mark Inglis was to blame for David's tragic death.

The triumph of mountaineer Mark Inglis, who last week became the first double amputee to climb Everest, has been soured by the news he left a dying climber to his fate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5016536.stm

Chris.
KMi, The Open University

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #10 on: May 26 2006, 03:27 »

They have a 2 minute segment on CNN (television).  They mention Hillary's thought, but they did a much better job of not blaming any climbers, and said the family of the climber does not blame anyone.

By the way, on Alex and Harry's expedition, I was warned, over and over, last year when I climbed Everest, about the dangers.

John

Lee

« Reply #11 on: May 26 2006, 03:49 »

Absolutely John!!

I am not a climber in the slightest and realize just how dangerous it is.  I lost a friend a Base Camp will be 2 years ago October. Very dangerous place....

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #12 on: May 26 2006, 05:21 »

Regarding the controversy surrounding the death of climber David Sharp.  Mark Inglis wants to talk in private to Sir Edmund Hillary.

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=3300

MC

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: May 26 2006, 11:04 »

Regardless I would stop and assist a climber who has fallen unwell, wherever that was on a mountain. To me the summit is not that important but regard for other human beings rises higher than any summit.

At least a Sherpa had the decency to stop and render assistance.

We can see how those payiing great amounts of money and bound to sponsors may choose the need for a summit at all costs.

Truly sad state of affairs

Roger from Sydney

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
« Reply #14 on: May 26 2006, 19:49 »

Absolutley Roger, and they did stop. However,  judgement is not ours until we have the full story on events, I feel the media has almost ruined Inglis and other climbers have made some pretty bad comments without having all the FACTS.

Kim

« Reply #15 on: May 27 2006, 09:46 »

What particularly bothered me was the quote by Mark Inglis - that Sharp was 'effectively dead'.  Those words say it all.  What does 'effectively dead' mean?  I suppose Lincoln Hall was 'effectively dead' too, but someone with a less callous attitude towards a fellow member of the human race didn't have the blinkers on and has saved his life.

People loathe the idea of other people not helping to save a life for good reason.  The potential of human beings to sacrifice their own lives to save another is what separates us from other animals.

Also, my understanding is that people were passing by Sharp on the their way UP the mountain, not struggling to save their own lives on the way DOWN the mountain.  And even if he couldn't be saved, there's just something utterly inhumane about the though of a man dying alone in the midst of this 'circus'.

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
« Reply #16 on: May 27 2006, 11:34 »

We do not have all the facts, period, and to further my point, the media cannot even get the simple height of the worlds most known tallest mountain right.

I am just cautioning about what the media reports, there have been numerous errors in the reporting. So, until climbers have had a chance to tell their story, I refuse to make a judgement call.

We were not there as witness to the events.

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
« Reply #17 on: May 27 2006, 11:52 »

Apparently Dan Mazur did not Summit as REPORTED... and helped Lincoln...

read this article   http://www.everestnews.com/Summitclimb2005/everesttibet2006disps05272006.htm

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
Re: Media and David Sharp and new hero Dan Mazur
« Reply #18 on: May 27 2006, 12:03 »

What a hero Dan Mazur is; champion of champions.
Hats off to Dan, his fellow climbers and the sherpas who helped with Lincoln Hall's rescue.

Smrtnupp - When you first began this topic, before the rescue of Lincoln took place, I had posted the following.

smrtnupp

I understand your thoughts on this subject. It is interesting because for me, saving another human life is most important in any situation. But I also think Everest is the exception (or any "extreme" high altitude mountain for that matter.) Once you enter the death zone, it is truly you against the harsh elements of nature. (There are exceptions when a climber or climbers can make the brave decision to save another's life on one of these high altitude mountains.)

MC   

It seems that Dan Mazur is one of these brave climbers.  I agree with you that each situation is different and many times all the facts are not available.  I'm sure this will be a topic for discussion for some time.  But in the meantime...bravo to Dan and his fellow climbers!!!  Also, big time bravo to all the Sherpas who stayed with Lincoln and those that helped him back down this mountain!

I understand the controversy regarding the death of David Sharp due to his location just above C-3, 8400m (not as dangerous for a rescue attempt but still in the "death zone"), good weather and the amount of climbers that passed him by.  Each circumstance on the mountain is individual and should be looked at that way.  Hopefully, lessons will be learned.

MC   

« Last Edit: Jun 6 2006, 11:55 by mc »

Arnout

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 4
  • Friend
« Reply #19 on: May 27 2006, 12:11 »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.