7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: News from Harry about Thomas  (Read 10382 times)

Arnout

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 4
  • Friend
News from Harry about Thomas
« on: May 26 2006, 19:50 »

I just spoke with Romke from Prague who had just spoken briefly with Harry. Harry doing ok, but is devastated by the events that have transpired. He does feel that he made the right decisions at the right time. It was apparently Harry's call to turn Thomas back at 50m from the summit. Thomas wanted to go on, but Harry noted that Thomas's behaviors had become lethargic  (don't ask me for details, this is all I know). For the rest I know what everyone knows who has read Abramov's reports regarding what happend on the way down. Thomas's death came suddenly and unexpected.

http://www.7summits-club.com/index.php3?id=27&idi=122&action=showfull ]

Harry's plan is to be in base-camp tomorrow and log in with updates.

My deepest thoughts and sympathy goes out to all involved.

- Arnout

edit: Changed the title so that it is more to the point. Also deleted the outdated info about Lincoln. As far as I know, this is the most relevant news we have on the events surrounding Thomas for now. As Sightoneverst.com is down, I wanted it to be clear. Please update if you hear anything new.
« Last Edit: May 27 2006, 02:16 by Arnout »

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!
Re: Harry in basecamp tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 26 2006, 20:02 »

Thank you so much for the update Arnout!!!!  As terrible as recent events have been, there is wonderful news that Harry is ok, and the miracle rescue going on at this moment.
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
Re: Harry in basecamp tomorrow (May 27)
« Reply #2 on: May 26 2006, 23:10 »

So happy Harry is still doing well.  Everest can be devastating.  Harry, I am glad you turned Thomas around, and were going down.  We are with you.

John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

ap

Re: News from Harry about Thomas
« Reply #3 on: May 27 2006, 16:16 »

Blij dat Harry bijna heelhuids is teruggekeerd!
Allemaal heel veel sterkte toegewenst,

Ap en Petra

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #4 on: May 27 2006, 16:41 »

Hello everybody, thanks so much for your support so far after all the dramatic events of the past days. I am now in BC and will be typing a detailed report about what happened on Everest past few days. For now the good news is that Lincoln is well and in ABC, so our enormous rescue operation, in which many Sherpas risked their own lives for our client has paid off as well as could be. Hats off to our people on the mountain including Doctor Andrey Selivanov, lifesaver extraordinaire.

My apologies for not reporting sooner; we would like to have informed Thomas' family and friends but Lorenzo apparently found it appropriate to post it online before we could even have the chance to get off the mountain and contact them..

All PC's are broken in ABC, Alex reported by phone and I wanted towait until I could personally post things to avoid confusion, mis-communication/mis-translation etc.

Anyway, to prevent rumours and speculations, I will try to be precise as possible. Due to enormous media attention the Sight OnEverest.com site is still down, so I will use 7summits.com for now. Please give me some hours to type it up, will post the story on the blog as well on this forum.

Thanks in advance, warm regards from BC
« Last Edit: May 28 2006, 00:28 by erikv »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #5 on: May 27 2006, 16:56 »

Good to hear from you, Harry.

I have been thinking about you, Alex and everyone connected to this terrible tragedy...non-stop.  I know it doesn't help much but just know that so many people are with you in spirit.  You were trying to help Thomas achieve a dream; I am very sorry that his dream ended like this.

I'm not sure why people did not understand the need to check your site and Alex's before this news was posted onto this site and others.  Hopefully lessons will be learned.

Take good care and please don't feel pressured in any way by the media.

MC

P.S. I am amazed at the rescue effort that has taken place for Lincoln.  I am so relieved that he is in ABC and doing well.  And double hats off to all the Sherpas who helped Lincoln right after his summit and those who participated in the rescue operation.  Tremendous effort by all.
« Last Edit: May 28 2006, 08:13 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

claudiabern

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
« Reply #6 on: May 27 2006, 19:15 »

Harry,
Claudia here a friend of Thomas's. When you can, please inform me of what happened. I still can't believe what happened he was so strong. Such a wonderful and giving person. I would like to get in contact with his family but only have his info in Abu Dhabi and an old address in Germany...my e-mail: claudiabern33@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
Claudia

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 27 2006, 20:55 »

Harry, You have no idea just how wonderful it is to see you post. My blood pressure is sky rocketing with all that has happened and I am not even there living this. I cannot imagine what it has been like for all of you.

My sincere condolences to all the families and friends affected by the tragedies, My congratulations to the heroes for the Miracles performed on the Mother of All Mountains, Everest.

I am sure most would agree, it has been difficult writing in the forum, experiencing extreme anger, sadness and elation at the same time. Yes, has been quite a year on Everest.
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Bill Tyler

« Reply #8 on: May 27 2006, 21:13 »

Harry,
Worlds biggest Bill here. So glad you are down off the mountain. I am so sorry that you had to experience something like this. Thomas was a really cool guy and Barbi and I liked him. I would like to send something to his family if possible. Contact me at 2btyler@gmail.com off line.

What a true miracle about Lincoln!!

Bill

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #9 on: May 28 2006, 02:05 »

Thanks all; I am falling asleep now, as I just posted a long story about what happened:
please read it here:
http://7summits.com/forum/index.php?topic=1287.0

Bear with me if not all spelling and grammar is correct.
Thanks,

Harry
« Last Edit: May 28 2006, 09:39 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #10 on: May 28 2006, 06:48 »

Harry,

So so happy to hear from you.  I know you had Thomas' safety in mind and like i said before, I am glad you were going down already, when Thomas got ill.

As you, I know Lorenzo, and he is my friend, and I am sure he would not have posted the story on the internet if he had known the family had not been notified.

I am with you in spirit, Harry, and we all love ya man.

Mountain John

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #11 on: May 28 2006, 09:43 »

As you, I know Lorenzo, and he is my friend, and I am sure he would not have posted the story on the internet if he had known the family had not been notified.

hey John, thanks for your words and many comments on this forum. Much appreciated as you know what goes on up there. Yes, Lorenzo is basically a very good man  8)

Enjoy the pasta, but you will be swept away by the pasta in Lorenzo's town!

Cheers from BC,

Harry

Bill Tyler

« Reply #12 on: May 28 2006, 11:16 »

Harry,
How are Kevin and Milan holding up? Let them know we are thinking of them too.

Bill

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #13 on: May 28 2006, 11:24 »

Harry,

I am looking forward to climbing with you soon.

Mountain John

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: News from Harry
« Reply #14 on: May 28 2006, 23:03 »

Yes, Lorenzo is basically a very good man  8)

Enjoy the pasta, but you will be swept away by the pasta in Lorenzo's town!

Lorenzo is the best of the best...a truly genuine man.

And btw, the pasta in Poggi, Lorenzo's town, may be good but the pizza is the BEST I have ever had!!!

MC    ;)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.