7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Filipinos on Everest  (Read 21900 times)

ishtar

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
First Filipinos on Everest
« on: Jun 6 2006, 06:43 »

congratulations to the filipino mountaineers who made it to everest and back again! Leo Oracion, Emata and Romi Garduce..but then of course there is dale abenojar who claims that he happened to be the first on the summit coming from tibet side.. ahhh well judging from his reputation, i will have to wait for him to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was really there 2 days ahead of Leo Oracion... talk about stealing the limelight?!

toxicfish

• Armchair...
  • dream Big but prepare for it.
Re: First Filipinos on Everest
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14 2006, 06:57 »

Congratulations also to Dale for being the first Filipino to reach to summit of Everest! 

As acclaimed by Elizabeth Hawley.

Dale has evidence which was presented, submitted, supported and investigated by EMINENT Mount Everest chronicler Elizabeth Hawley with proof of photos and a certification from The Chinese Mountaineering Association and his witness Tsiring Sherpa presented that he was first to have summitted Mount Everest.

http://www.asianjournal.com/print.php?a=13675

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14 2006, 07:14 »

Congratulations also to Dale for being the first Filipino to reach to summit of Everest! 

As acclaimed by Elizabeth Hawley.

Dale has evidence which was presented, submitted, supported and investigated by EMINENT Mount Everest chronicler Elizabeth Hawley with proof of photos and a certification from The Chinese Mountaineering Association and his witness Tsiring Sherpa presented that he was first to have summitted Mount Everest.

http://www.asianjournal.com/print.php?a=13675

I had not seen info yet on the standard mountaineering new's sources regarding Dale Abenojar, AKA Landrover, being the first Filipino to summit Everest.  I was not able to retrieve the full story on your link above.  If indeed Elizabeth Hawley deemed there was enough evidence, well then bravo to Dale.  But congrats to all four of the Filipino climbers who summited "E" this year.

MC     :)
« Last Edit: Jul 15 2006, 09:22 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

toxicfish

• Armchair...

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25 2006, 09:18 »

Hi toxicfish

Thanks for the links...congrats to Dale Abenojar!!!

MC    :)

Milan

• Buckle up baby, it's a bumpy ride
  • Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
    • dutch picture industry (filmcompany)
« Reply #5 on: Aug 2 2006, 13:35 »

Isn't this the same old story? I read the articles but didn't see no prove. Everybody knows he was high on the mountain, as many people are, but a picture showing you're on the top would be very nice to prove something.

Cheers Milan
follow me..... or show me the way

toxicfish

• Armchair...
« Reply #6 on: Aug 5 2006, 10:58 »

I have watched the documentary of his ascent in SM Cinema Theater in PH last Aug 4, 2006.
It was shown to selected Press and Supporters.

I hope Landrover would show it to the public.

cheers,
txc

xavene

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 1
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
First Filipinos on Everest
« Reply #7 on: Aug 5 2006, 12:35 »

I watched Dale's documentary film last night at SM Megamall Cinema 1, Ortigas Center, Pasig City Philippines. It was full packed and almost SRO!

He doesn't need to prove anything by showing this film, but for the sake of Oracion, Emata, UPM,  and some members of the media who are quick to judge the veracity of his feat, the burden is actually on them to prove that he never reached the summit, it's up to them to dissect the cerebral evidences presented on the film.

I hope the network giants: GMA, ABS-CBN, and ABC5  should show this on National TV soon!

As for me, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to be convinced that he reached the summit.

Elizabeth Hawley's declaration has more weight than Emata and the entire UPM!

toxicfish

• Armchair...
« Reply #8 on: Aug 8 2006, 08:57 »

Palace mulls belated citation for Abenojar
By Paolo Romero
The Philippine Star 08/07/2006

Malacañang is studying the possibility of giving Filipino adventure sportsman Dale Abenojar a belated presidential citation for having scaled Mt. Everest, the world’s highest mountain, in May.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said he is awaiting the formal report of Director Jeremy Barns, presidential assistant for historical affairs and deputy head of the Chancellery of Philippine Orders and State Decorations, on whether Abenojar, 43, merits a citation from President Arroyo. The honors body is headed by presidential protocol chief Marciano Paynor Jr.

Barns, who is also curator of the Malacañang Museum, sent representatives from his office to view the film "A Child in Everest," the film documenting Abenojar’s bitter and lonely climb up Mt. Everest, at the SM Megamall Friday night.

The film drew tears and applause from an audience of over 500 people, including members of the media, government and Abenojar’s friends, family and supporters.

"We are still going to study the suggestions (to award Abenojar)," Ermita said in a telephone interview. "The government is generous when it comes to recognizing achievements of Filipinos that bring honor and pride to our country."

Ryan Faustino, who viewed the documentary on behalf of Barns along with Dianne Ellavera, said he will submit his report today. He said the honors body is expected to act on calls for the government to recognize Abenojar’s feat in a few weeks.

Abenojar claims to have reached the Everest summit on the morning of May 15, a good two days ahead of Heracleo "Leo" Oracion of the ABS-CBN-backed First Philippine Mount Everest Expedition (FPMEE), who reached Everest peak on May 17.

Other climbers who reached summit on May 18 and 19, respectively, were the FPMEE’s Erwin "Pastor" Emata and solo climber Romeo Garduce, who was backed by GMA-7.

The climbers were bestowed last month the title "Champions for Life" by the President, along with athletes of the Philippine Team who won gold medals in the last Southeast Asian Games and gave the Philippines its first ever SEA Games championship, Ms. International Precious Lara Quigaman and boxing idol Manny Pacquiao.

Abenojar admitted he was deeply hurt when he was not included in the citation list and that some of the Filipinos who also scaled Mt. Everest last May doubted his claim.

He said the success of the special screening of his trek up the world’s highest mountain pleased him almost as much as the moment he had reached the Everest summit. Abenojar said the documentary was made and aired so he could share his success with the Filipino people.

The documentary was edited by Orly Lavarde and directed by television commercial director Gus Cruz. Its executive producer is Abenojar’s publicist and friend Robin Mendoza.

The documentary melded the video footage and still photographs taken by Abenojar and his guides, Tshiring Jangbu Sherpa and Pasang Dorchi Sherpa, as they climbed the perilous north face of Mt. Everest with television newsreel footage covering Abenojar’s race to the top of the world with other Filipino mountaineers.

"A Child in Everest" also showed revealing interviews with Abenojar’s wife Lisa and Ramkrishna Tripathi, the Nepalese camp manager of the Monterosa International Treks and Expedition group Abenojar joined, as well as Canadian-Australian Vince Walters, who was with Abenojar in the Monterosa group.

Abenojar lost his left big toe and his guide, Pasang Sherpa, lost all his toes to gangrene caused by frostbite in making the climb.

He also confirmed a blurb at the end of the documentary that declared Abenojar’s desire to again climb to the Everest summit, this time "without the aid of supplementary oxygen."

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #9 on: Aug 8 2006, 22:28 »

Are there any images published of Dale's climb? If he summited, then he should be recognized, but until now I have seen no proof. Only mention was an image of Makalu, but that can be shot anywhere after reaching the summitridge, less than one quarter of the way to the summit.
Wasn't there a mention that he passed David Sharpe at 10am? That would mean he would have climbed less than 1/3rd in 8-10 hours (what time did he leave camp?), which seems an impossible base for continuing to the summit.

The certificate does not prove anything, the LO last year gave us as teamleaders also some certificates for people that did not summit that year (Lorenzo for example, who came back this year to summit).

What footage was on the video/presentation, any summit shots?

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

toxicfish

• Armchair...
« Reply #10 on: Aug 9 2006, 09:05 »

hi xavene,

not all UPM are critisizing Dale. Romy for one is a UPM but never said anying against him.

Only the LUPN Oldies are actively spreading the chain letter against him.

tks,
txc

toxicfish

• Armchair...
« Reply #11 on: Aug 9 2006, 09:33 »

hi harry,

you should ask Landrover a copy it was on a DVD format.  As for me I saw only a footage of  him in North Col. Next a distance footage of the 2nd step where he is already wearing a google. 

Outside the Cinema there's a trampoline showing he is 500m below d summit. ( this is my opinion. d image needs to be verify by an Everest summitter.)

The footage confirms he is a 8000ers

Landrover if you are reading this kindly provide harry your documentary film.  I think that would help you.

tks,
Toxic

toxicfish

• Armchair...
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23 2006, 14:04 »

here is another picture of Dale in E

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/toxicfish1/album/576460762307727438#page1

i use cellphone camera to capture this from a tarpoline displayed at SM Megamall.

tks,
Toxic

toxicfish

• Armchair...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20 2007, 09:54 »

Dale Abenojar additional proofs :

"Discovery Channel has a 30-minute video footage of him and other mountaineers on Mt. Everest on May 15 last year, or days ahead of the two other Filipino climbers who were officially acknowledged as the first Filipinos at the summit of the world’s highest mountain. "

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/show_content.asp?article=302828

Has anyone watched "Beyond the Limit" the Season 1 there in US?

tks,
Toxic

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21 2007, 05:51 »

The image on Yahoo is a composite (fake) and not even the background is nowhere near the summit, though the captions states it...
That makes me very doubtful about the footage claim.

Why does dale not have a real picture of him? There were 30-40 people passing David Sharpe on their way to the summit, so even if Dale forgot (?) to take some pictures somebody else must have one with him on it?

Just the fact that he has a picture with Makalu on it is not enough, whu does he just not settle it with a-real- image on the summit?
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21 2007, 07:59 »

One question...is Dale related to Trunl??? mc   :)

Moral of story: always take a summit pic!!!

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23 2007, 00:23 »

Heh heh heh! :)

Anyway - is it not just getting boring now being the first 'anything' on Everest? Personally I'm waiting to see the first siamese twins to summit everest. That would be great fun crossing the the ladders :D

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23 2007, 14:12 »

Hey, give the guy a break, he did not claim anything about Whitney. Dale I mean :)

If the siamese twins are like the ones in Big Fish, it might be useful: one est of legs for the ladders, 2 pairs of arms (or did they have one?) for climbing the rocks...

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23 2007, 21:24 »

Hey guys!

You're getting sick, laughing at handicap people!!! It was not his fault that trunl was a teenager then.

MikeW   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 23 queries.