7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 5738 times)

The Outdoor Type

What to do next?
« on: Dec 30 2002, 03:11 »

Just curious as to what people thought the order of difficulty was regarding the 7 Summits.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31 2002, 19:24 »

Hi Outdoor type!

thank you for your email and question; I think I will add this to the FAQ as more people need this info.

Anyway, there is already some logical progression when climbing the 7summits:

- Start with Kilimanjaro: no experience needed, you will find out how your body adapts to altitude
- Next should be Elbrus or Aconcagua: Aconcagua is non technical, but needs technical gear (plastic boots etc) due to the cold; Elbrus is snow and ice and needs basic crampon skills.
I would suggest you do a introductory Alpinism course before Elbrus.
- For Denali & Vinson you need more skills, a glacier course is recommended and needed, for example in the Alps, or on Mt Rainier. Rest is mostly physical training/workouts.
- For Carstensz you need rock climbing skills that can be learned in any indoor climbing gym whwre they also teach rope work. You can climb Carstensz as your first summit if you like as it is guided and rockclimbing can be learnt quickly.

If you climbed all of these 6, then you should be more than prepared for Everest, any additional things to learn can only be learned on the spot...

Let me know if you are interested in the 7summits trips and I can work with you to start your 7summits career!

Thanks in advance,
best regards,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Chadwick

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -1
  • I'm so cool!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 7 2003, 19:27 »

Harry,

Wow -- I was relieved when I saw the order you listed because that's pretty much the order I was looking at.  I am really new to this sort of thing -- I trekked to the Everest Base camp and then climbed Kili and that's it.  They were both fabulous trips, by the way.

Do you have any suggestions for people on the East Coast of the US who want to gain more experience and training?  

trunl

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9 2003, 04:08 »

good question, maybe you should make it an FAQ and post it up there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.836 seconds with 22 queries.