7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Western Breach route closed on Kili until ....?  (Read 11129 times)

Marry

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 1
  • I am not too lazy too change this text!

Hi,

Does anybody know until when the Western Breach route will be closed on Kili? I had planned to take this route in September and avoid the nasty crowds and uphill-scree-sludge at the end.

Marry

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Western Breach route closed on Kili until ....?
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2006, 11:00 »

Echoing Marry's question, is there any new info on whether or not the Breach will re-open?  Also, if re-opened, will the Breach be re-routed above Arrow Glacier Camp as discussed by the Kilimanjaro Safety Patrol Reconnaissance Expedition?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

MC
« Last Edit: May 12 2006, 11:04 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

big wave dave

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I prefer to stay at sea level
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14 2006, 12:33 »

Anyone have current info on the Western Breach route?

Dave

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14 2006, 13:06 »

The route is still closed 'until further notice'. The situation will not improve due to global warming, so it i snot sure if the proposed alternative route will be used or not.

Theoretically it is possible to sleep in the crater, when coming from the Barafu/Marangu side, but then the problem is still that the altitude gain is too much (4600-5700m), so many people will get AMS, which can be fatal unless evacuated (lowered) quickly. And as the fastest rescue route is through the Breach, it is deemed to dangerous for now.

If you want to avoid crowds, go in March-May, November, or take the Rongai route.
Best regards,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15 2006, 09:02 »

I know someone that just returned from Kilimanjaro yesterday.  I forget the route but she slept in the crater and said they had a blizzard and it was -10 F.  They were 6 for 6 in reaching the summit.
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15 2006, 11:26 »

I know someone that just returned from Kilimanjaro yesterday.  I forget the route but she slept in the crater and said they had a blizzard and it was -10 F.  They were 6 for 6 in reaching the summit.

Mountain John

Can you find out what route and if it was the Barafu/Marangu side, did she stay at Barafu Camp?  I have heard there is a make-shift Camp above Barafu called Kossovo Camp.  I am hoping to get more info on that Camp.

Thanks
MC
« Last Edit: Aug 15 2006, 11:27 by mc »

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22 2006, 01:34 »

Here is her experience on Kilimanjaro, earlier this month:

"We actually were scheduled to go the Western Breach route, but as you heard the Western Breach section and Arrow Glacier Camp are closed due to an accident that occurred in January that killed several people.  However, we followed our planned route up until we got to Lava Tower Camp and then we started up and around the Barranco Wall and then ended up back down at Karanga Camp.  We then used Barafu Camp for our summit day (we saw people higher up at a makeshift camp, which I believe might be the Kossovo Camp that your sister is mentioning).  On our summit day we climbed from Barafu (leaving at dawn) to Uhuru Peak and then down to Crater Camp (18,500 ft) in one day.  The experience wasn’t too bad other than the cold and a few areas where there was a bit of steep scrambling using hands and feet to pull yourself up.  Some people we know on other tours climbed from Barafu Camp to the summit and then descended back down to Barafu Camp for lunch and later went all the way down to Mweka Camp on the same day.  They said that they would not recommend such a long day as it was really grueling; many of them were so sore from the experience they could not walk for several days afterwards."
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22 2006, 03:18 »

All options are possible in theory, some people descend all the way to the gate, so they can have a shower that night :-)

But we do not recommend (or offer at this moment) crater camp as it is still a huge step up from either Barafu or Kossovo camp. Many people will get AMS, which would not be so bad if the rescue route was ok. But the rescues take place through the Breach (because if you want to down the other routes, you first need to go up and over the crater rim).

So with a high risk of AMS and the onlly real quick rescue route being unsafe in itself it is currently not wise to camp in the crater, unless you just came from Aconcagua or another mountain of similar height..

Cheers,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22 2006, 13:34 »

Thanks, Mountain John.  I appreciate the info.  MC

Harry, I understand your thoughts on not camping in the crater.  If one were to do an 8 or 9 day trip to better acclimate, would it be possible to sleep at Kossovo Camp and then at Crater Camp?
Cheers, MC

earth-walker

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 8
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23 2006, 05:48 »

Just got back from Kili.  One guide told me that you can use the Western Breach, but you just have to find a company willing to take you on it (and there aren't many, if any).

I summited from Barafu then hiked the ash pit and spent the night at crater camp.  I had a mild headache that night, but was fine in the morning.  It was cold.  The truth is, I did not feel like sleeping in the crater once I summited and would have preferred to descend back to Barafu. 

The following day, I descended off the mountain via Mweka.  It was the only tough (defined as sore legged/needed to rest) day of the climb (8-day Lemosho/Southern Circuit/Uruhu/Crater Camp/Mweka).

I am going to sum up some thoughts on my climb in another topic.

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23 2006, 06:11 »

Congratulations, walktheearth!!!

I will look forward to reading your "thoughts of the climb" when you post your summitlog.

MC  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.