7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Kilimanjaro Age Record  (Read 21163 times)

Mark Elliot

New Kilimanjaro Age Record
« on: Jan 12 2003, 05:10 »

;D Blair Elliot and Sydney Low, two 11- year-old classmates from St. Margaret’s Episcopal School in San Juan Capistrano, became the youngest climbers ever to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa.  The two girls set their world record at 8:30 am on December 31, 2002.

Blair and Sydney recorded two other significant achievements during their climb.  

Bypassing the standard “walk up” favored by most who attempt Kilimanjaro, the two girls instead tackled the Umbwe / Western Breach route, considered the toughest non-technical route on the mountain.  

After spending 90 minutes at the summit, the two girls descended the entire 13,000 feet to the park gate, arriving at 10pm that evening..

Their record was officially recorded at the Marangu Park gate the following day.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:New Kilimanjaro Age Record
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13 2003, 16:20 »

Hi, thanks for your message, however it's not accurate. On 22 nov 2001 Bouke van Dijk summited Kili aged 10. See the (dutch) news clipping below.
If children really enjoy climbing it's ok to take them into the mountains, but beware that they may have more problems in recognizing altitude sickness which might result in serious injury.
We do not like the record hunting by age, as it's hard to tell if the child really want to climb or is being dragged along. On Kilimanjaro there is an age limit of 10 years now, which is good, else peope would bring their baby's to the summit 'for the record'  ::)

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mark Elliot

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16 2003, 12:03 »

We were informed of the "record" when we returned to the gate the following morning to pick up our summit certificates.  We had no idea that they maintained "age records," which was the title of the sheet I looked at.  

I suppose that hearing of two children climbing Kilimanjaro is an irresistable lure to jump up on a soapbox but Blair and Sydney's achievements do not really lend themselves to the issues raised.  They trained hard and really proved themselves as climbers by tackling and succeeding on a very tough route.  They were not "brought" or "dragged."  Their climb of the Western Breech and then their summit to gate descent of the Normal Route in 1 day were significant achievements.

Records asside the real issue is did they have fun?  Their answer is a resounding "yes!"  Both girls have indicated that they would be happy to go again.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17 2003, 05:18 »

Right......no matter what age..being in the mountains should be fun.

And kids training and being active?...top..to many of them have no more activity then moving theur fingers on their gamepad.  Keep em moving ;D

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: New Kilimanjaro Age Record
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15 2008, 02:52 »

I just got a message from an unknown sender (he reported the post and I only received his IP):

The reporter has made the following comment:
"Bernard Fischer from South Africa holds the record for being the youngest ever to reach the top of Kilimanjaro. He summit on 13 December 1997 (9years) with his family, Pa Van Wyk, Ma Doret, Sister Mariiette (17) and Brothet Van Wyk jnr(13)."

Note that this is hard to check, but if it is true, it will (should) not be broken as the minimum age for Kili climbers is now 10 years.

Cheers,
harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17 2008, 00:35 »

Hey Harry,

What have you heard about lung capacity and age, as far as altitude?

When I drove and climbed Mauna Kea in Hawaii, the park service advised that people below about age 15 (I think) should not go above elevation about 10,000 feet (3,050 meters).

I have not researched this, but I took them seriously, as I was with a child and left him at 9,000 feet (2700 meters) at a tourist building there.

What have you heard on this?  Is there anything to this?

Mountain John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17 2008, 03:12 »

Hi John,

I do not know about lung capacity, but children generally have too much energy, which might affect them at altitude. They simply run around where they should be going Pole Pole, increasing the chance of AMS. Once they are tired, they are usually really tired, making it hard to eitehr go up or down..

Also they do not have the mountaineering or general experience to tell a headache from AMS, so care must be taken.
In general, it is great to take kids to the mountains, beats a playstation... but do take care. Don't want to ruin braincells that have not even fully developed yet!

Cheers,
Harry

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17 2008, 20:11 »

Hi John!

My son (10 years old) and I go to Chile to ski every summer. Last year at 9, he skied every day at 3000m without any problem. He went as high as 3500m. he did feel the effect of altitude (shortness of breath) but was able to adapt in the first few days by going a little bit slower than usual.

As for Kili, I hoped these kids went to mountains smaller than Kili as preparation prior to Kili. Like my kid, he's been to 3500m without problem for 2 weeks, I wouldn't have any problem bringing him to climb Kili at 11 or 12 years old if he really wants to. That's a big if.

MikeW

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18 2008, 02:37 »

Thanks Harry and Mike for the feedback.

I know you are both experienced mountain climbers, and like myself, i am sure you like to share your experience and what we have learned.  So it might be case to case, but everyone should at least think about this and take it into consideration when bringing a child to these high altitudes.

Good stuff. Mountain John

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #9 on: May 6 2008, 05:28 »

Ian McKeever just guided his godson up Kili recently - 10 yrs old. Apparently now this kid is the youngest European to climb Kili.

;)

Nudge

• Hiker
  • Enjoying myself.
« Reply #10 on: May 10 2008, 13:06 »

Ian McKeever "Guided" ???

Is he now a guide now as a well as being a "renowned adventurer"

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #11 on: May 15 2008, 06:18 »

Sorry, that should've read 'coached' his godson in training. They have tp hire guides locally as part of the local rules - but in fairness, it doesnt take a genius to guide someone up Kili if they hve reasonable experience.

Sorry for the poor syntax in my last post tho :)

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #12 on: May 15 2008, 13:42 »

Interesting thoughts.  I, myself, thought about being a guide and starting an expedition company.  This was when I was engaged and we were going to do this together as a business.

To keep the high standards of mountaineering, I had already completed my first rescue course and was enrolling in certified mountaineering cpr, safety backcountry first aid and search and rescue classes (with my now ex).  Further, i considered working for another comapny first for a year to get some business experience as far as mountaineering.  (learn about the insurance etc. aspect).

As it is, as far as the 7 summits, I entirely planned my private 2 man expedition to the summit of Aconcagua (was not a paid guide as I had no experience on that mountain), and both my friend Thom and I summitted and we had many decisions to make.  We actually had differing opinions on which camp to start the summit push (as we had just turned around trying to summit from the 17,000 Nido de Condores Camp - instead of the normal 19,000 Berlin Camp).  So on the second summit push, I voted the higher camp and my friend voted the lower camp again).

HERE'S THE GREAT NEWS.  HERE WE ARE AT THE CRUTIAL POINT ON (DAY BEFORE) SUMMIT DAY, AND WE BOTH MADE DECISIONS WITH THE OTHER CLIMBER'S BEST INTEREST IN MIND - NOT OUR OWN!!!!!!!   BOTH OF US.

First Thom said since I planned the whole trip, I should take the mountain tent up to the higher Berlin camp, and he will give up the summit attempt, and descend down to Plaza de Mulas Camp where we had left set-up our bigger "base camp type" tent (I had decided to bring 2 tents).  What a guy!

I said NO.  We are a team.  I said YOU keep the tent at this camp (17,000 Nido de Condores) and I will hike up to the Berlin camp and sleep in one of the huts that are there.  Thom caught up with me the next morning.

This is what we did and we both summitted!  John

Bernard

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 15 2008, 21:21 »

Hey, I recently came accros an website saying that there was a 7year old from america who attempted to climb the mountain in january 2008, but as far as i know, i am the youngest to reach the summit (Bernard Fischer at the age of 9) you can find all the details at www.karibukilimanjaro.com

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #14 on: May 16 2008, 02:52 »

Hey, I recently came accros an website saying that there was a 7year old from america who attempted to climb the mountain in january 2008, but as far as i know, i am the youngest to reach the summit (Bernard Fischer at the age of 9) you can find all the details at www.karibukilimanjaro.com

Bernard...amazing that you summited Kili at the age of 9! There will most likely be some controversy on a record such as youngest to summit Kili. If you are the youngest, it will be hard to break that record with the legal minimum age to hike the mountain being 10. Then again, as in your case, an exception was made with the special release form signed by your parents. I think it is an astonishing accomplishment that you stood on the rooftop of Africa at such a young age.   

Btw, I stood on the summit on my 50th b-day (my guide brought a candle, lit it and sang Happy Birthday to me)! This was my first big mountain and was an accomplishment for me!  ;D

MC :)
« Last Edit: May 17 2008, 09:01 by m.c. reinhardt »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Scott Patterson

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
« Reply #15 on: May 17 2008, 03:05 »

When we were in Africa in 1997, we were told that a six year old had recently climbed it, so seven might not be the record.    I'm not sure why the six year old record seems not to be mentioned.   Perhaps it was only to Gilman's Point?

Anyway climbing Kili with a six or seven year old who is very well acclimatized and in good shape is not unreasonable, but you must be extremely cautious.    At age five, my son has been to 18,000 feet.

Anyway, here's one of our trip reports at fairly high altitudes:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/378565/Father-and-Son-Adventures-in-Peru.html

My son wants to climb Kili, but we were told we had to wait until he was 10.     I wonder how the 7 year old got away with it and if the authorities knew of it?
« Last Edit: May 17 2008, 03:09 by Scott Patterson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.