7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aconcagua Training Plan  (Read 15744 times)

Leafy

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -1
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
Aconcagua Training Plan
« on: Sep 27 2006, 18:18 »

Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a training plan for Aconcagua.  I am climbing this in February, so its about time I got some training in.
Does anyone know where I can get a plan from ?

Thanks

MvdB

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
Re: Aconcagua Training Plan
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27 2006, 20:15 »

WHat I am doing currently(and I dont say that its the correct program, but its at least an idea) is the following:
swimming 4 hours a week (two times 1 hour and once two hours)
3 hours of yoga
and I am planning to add 1-2 hours of spinning to it soon.
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi

climbhigh

• climber
  • Armchair...
  • All work and no play is no good at all!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12 2006, 16:35 »

Swimming and Spinning but what about running???
There's a lot of climbing/walking to be done on Aconcagua but swimming and spinning makes only sense for getting fit, not training the muscles you need on the mountain !!

Spinning and/or cycling is considered as bad if you do it without running as you're developing the "wrong" muscles which "get's in the way" with the muscles you need or will decvelop while climbing.

Yoga is nice but has nothing to do with training.

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12 2006, 20:46 »

Er, what do you mean by 'spinning'?

I cycled 100 miles per week coming up to Aconcagua along with 8 hour hillwalking type hikes once or twice a fortnight and once/twice weekly runs.

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12 2006, 21:51 »

Spinning is an indoor cycling class at the gym, there is an instructor in front and he motivates you by telling you what to do with some music in the background. It's fun when the temperatures sucks and you want to cycle which happens 8 months a year in Montreal.

MikeW

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13 2006, 04:53 »

Leafy
I cycle around 300-400+ km a week
Long walks on hilly terrain and gradually increase my load in the backpack and for me that goes up to around 30kilos or so.
This way you can also sort out any issues or rub spots with your back gradually.
I walk in my trekking boots
Drink lots of fluids and you may care to try additives to your water as it may not be palatable up higher.
I also use GU Gel as they are easy to ingest up high and a peanut/raisin mix.
Main thing on the mountain is go slow as it is not a race to see who can get to the next camp the fastest.  Take frequent rests, relax, hydrate and eat.
Cheers
Roger

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13 2006, 19:56 »

Swimming and Spinning but what about running???
There's a lot of climbing/walking to be done on Aconcagua but swimming and spinning makes only sense for getting fit, not training the muscles you need on the mountain !!

Spinning and/or cycling is considered as bad if you do it without running as you're developing the "wrong" muscles which "get's in the way" with the muscles you need or will decvelop while climbing.

Yoga is nice but has nothing to do with training.

I agree with what Roger says about training. Good post.

I disagree with basically everything in the above quoted section.
Who consider cycling bad?
Cycling is excellent training for high altitude mountaineering. Sometimes before climbing higher peaks it has been my only form of training. Kuntner (R.I.P.) for example cycled long distances with a fully packed bicycle in odd parts of the world and considered that the best way to get fit for another 8000'r.
Still, this is just a detail.
The important point is; ALL kind of training is beneficial for you. Don't bother to think too much about certain muscle groups, just train instead.
Your cardiovascular and lung capacity is really important up there and both are enhanced by any kind of training.
Swimming is good for this by the way.

One thing that I do consider not very useful on high altitude is a lot of muscles. Especially those really bulky gym guys usually have a hard time high up. Endurance is a key word, not weight lifter strength.

I'm not a believer in yoga.
But anything that can give you mental strength is good for you. That's what you need up there.
Joe Simpson once said he thought over 90% after passing 7000m is down to the mental capacity. I don't know if that's true, but for sure it's a very important parameter.
High altitude mountaineering is a lot about suffering and enduring.
Get ready for it.
All the training and right muscle groups in the world will not help you if you're not mentally strong.
How you gain your mental strength is not important. As long as you believe in your model, go for it.
Yoga may be the way for some.
« Last Edit: Oct 13 2006, 20:00 by Corsair »
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.