7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best guide service for unfit people wanting to climb Kilimanjaro.  (Read 21954 times)

Ted

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -1
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

I am more than just a few kilos overweight and I am not really in great shape. I am wanting to visit the the seven summits with two co-workers (who haven't been to the gym for a while eighter). After reading about this challenge on different web sites, I understand that the natrual starting point for people like us would be Kilimanjaro. I got the feeling that Alpine Ascents is great for people like us, who just want a taste of the adventure. And that their sucess rate is very high. Is that true, or is there some other guide services that would suit my group better?

Thank you.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Hi Ted,
well, they are successful in emptying your pockets sooner  ;)

Kidding, they are very nice guys and colleagues and very experienced & professional and always a safe choice. They just charge double what we do for the same trip. (also see this FAQ about expensive vs cheap Kili operators.

Do not believe summit % from companies. No-one can check them and they are defined different ways.

Of course you need to be able to hike on easy angled terrain for several hours with a daypack. But that you will have to do with every company. On Kili the only thing that really matters is the time you spend on the mountain. Every day longer will improve your chances. It is not a technical mountain and even overweight people will summit in 8 or 9 days. Even very fit people will not in 4 or 5 days.

Also see this FAQ about trip length.

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ted

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Thank you do much for your reply.

I have talked to someone from my work place ad he told me that he had done the Kili with two friends, and thay had used a local African guide + 2 other porters. They had made it to the summit and back on day five after arriving at the airport. Or not quite his friend had to stop just before some glacier, and he had to walk down from the glacier, but the third person mad made it all the way to to peak with one of the porters. He told me that the trip had been the hardest and thougest thing he had done in his life, and he and his friends are all athletes!!! He is is so much better shape than I would ever be in (he is a marathon runner)so I feel that this challenge might be a bit to much.

I thank you so much for taking your time answering me, but I think I need to re evaluate my limits and my dreams.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Hi Ted,

it doesn't seem if you've read my reply, this is what I wrote:

On Kili the only thing that really matters is the time you spend on the mountain. Every day longer will improve your chances. It is not a technical mountain and even overweight people will summit in 8 or 9 days. Even very fit people will not in 4 or 5 days.

The story about your friends proves this is correct.
It is crazy to go up and down in 5 days. This means going up in 3.5 days! This is plain dangerous, maybe their fitness made them survive it. And as you said (and what I mentioned in the reply and FAQ's): even most fit people will not make it in 5 days.

Do not give up your dreams, just take your time for it.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET

Ted,

Don't underestimate your fitness. In any case fitness is only partially responsible for summitting. While I was on Aconcagua last January we watched evacuation after evacuation by helicpoter of climbers at 4200m from base camp. We thought it was just ordinary average joes being evacuated. It later transpired that some of these guys were Chamonix mountain guides, and one Norwegian who had been planning some difficult South Face climbing while some people of very questionable fitness/experience got very high on the mountain.

The point is - even some really fit people can't climb at high altitude - it just depends on whether you are susceptible to the deleterious effects of it or not. A slow ascent on Kilimanjaro is going to definitely boost your chances. I climbed it having done little or no training at all (I was rather naive at that time - it was my first mountain) and yes, it was hell but I think if you allow yourself to adjust to the altitude then this challenge could be well within your grasp.

You could try hiking on some peaks at maybe 3000 or 4000 metres before going to Kili and see how you get on. You might be pleasantly surprised. And most importantly remember that the trip was probably the hardest thing those athletic friends had ever done ever and you can be sure that they felt ill - but plenty of non athletes were probably climbing that same night and most likely summitted too.

Give it a shot - and let us know how you get on

PS - I'm not a marathon runner, or even a runner for that matter. I drink a lot of beer and stay out late lots... I'm usually hungover when I'm out climbing. It's all about your state of mind

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer

Hi Ted
My tip is to also do Mt Meru prior to Kili and this will really help you acclimatise and have a feel for altitude. If  you do Mt Meru go ask the guide to take you the longer route from the gate as you will see more animals.
Mt Meru is around 40k away from Kili and you will see Kili looming in the distance if you climb Mt Meru.
Many miss doing Meru and it is a really nice mountain especially when you see the Ash cone when returning from the summit.
Also take your time, there is no point rushing things as you only end up in the next camp really early and you will miss seeing things as you go. When you get to the camp early all you do is sit around so take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Cheers
Roger

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1

hi ted,

if you want to try out a trek at 3000-4000m, check out Mt Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia. its about 4095m....and just like kili....its a trek up....no climbing....typically, it takes about 4-5 days.....but i find it good practice.....its cheap anyways...only difference is that kili is much higher....and colder.....at the peak of kinabalu, temperature (with the wind) is about 5 degrees or lower......quite alright....

trek up from base of mountain (about 1800-1900m) to a resthouse (3300m). this takes about 7-8 hours...if you go slow.....the terrain can be steep and tiring though.....overnight at resthouse....

next day, wake up at 2 am for summit bid....which is at 4095m....if you are fast, can reach by sunrise....else you can reach around 7 or 8 am....after that, you can either go down all the way.....or rest at resthouse...and go down the next day....in my case, i choose to rest at the resthouse....and give my knees a rest....

i am not that fit....but i still manage to summit and enjoy the view.....then again, there are others who are very fit....but gave up 100m from the summit.....

good luck with kili mate! dun give up.....it can be done....just need to be patient....and take your time.....and may the Force be with You  ;D

cheers.... O0
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

Leafy

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy to change this text!

Hey

I did it with 6 other friends in June.  Only one didnt make it and that was due to mountain sickness, and having a cold during the trek.

We were of all different fitness levels, like was said previously, mountain sickness can affect anyone, regardless of fitness.  I took diamox, half a tab in the morning and half in the evening.  If I took a whole one at a time I would get pins and needles in my hands and feet.

We booked ours through onthegotours, but the local agency there was Zara.  I 100% recommend these guys.  The leader was nicknamed Photo, I cant remember his real name now.  He was very good and worked with all of us to make sure we made it to the top (well nearly all of us).  The food that was cooked was also amazing.

Good Luck

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Hi there, as you might know, if you book with us (7summits.com), then your trip will be handled by Zara and our private guides, who know my clients, know my programs etc.

See some customer comments about 7summits.com & Zara here:
http://7summits.com/expeditions.php#clientcomments

Oh, and there is no price difference when booking through 7summits.com, but we are better able to tailormake a climb for you :)

So let me know your wishes and we will set something suitable up!
Best regards,

Harry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 23 queries.