7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever happened of past users!!!  (Read 41704 times)

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Whatever happened of past users!!!
« on: Sep 28 2006, 20:28 »

Hey Harry and everybody else!

I was wondering what happened to Ron, trunl and Buddha who were once very active users. Does anybody have some news if Buddha and trunl finally did climb a 7 summit.

I always loved the Whitney controversy. We need more actions on this forum.

MikeW

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
Re: Whatever happened of past users!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28 2006, 21:26 »

I think Ron just got fed up with people with no experience posting nonsense as if they knew what they were talking about, having never climbed.

Maybe trunl and Buddha went and climbed some hill somewhere and got lost in fog? :D

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29 2006, 00:43 »

Hi!

Ron - no clue. Probably Trunl pissed him off too many times.
Trunl - was kicked out from Summitpost, but returned under the name daa
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=21692
He still claims to have summited Whitney and that his camera got stolen.
I was in contact with Buddha "off-site" now and then, but one day he just disappeared. Haven't heard from him for a long time, even if I've sent him a mail now and then.

I've been climbing a lot lately in Asia, so I haven't been online much.

Cheers, Corsair.
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29 2006, 01:45 »

Great to see you guys posting!  Corsair...you are definitely "in the know".  I had saved Ron's web-site on my favorites to see how he was doing but I don't think it is current.  He does have a contact page.  Here is the link.
Btw, Mike, just for your info, I actually did climb Whitney back in '86!!!  Unfortunately, the summit pic was not on a digital camera.  Maybe I could send a copy to Harry and he could load it onto this site?!
Cheers
MC  :)

Hey Mot...I have missed your great, Irish sense of humor!  And where the heck is Daisy???
« Last Edit: Sep 29 2006, 01:51 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29 2006, 03:58 »

Hi guys :-)

feels like a little reunion up here..

Welcome back Corsair & MoT!
Love to see a real Whitney pic, MC!

I did reactivate Trunl, but I guess he did not feel quite welcome. Buddha just vanished, maybe he reincarnated..

Ron is doing ok, but has chosen a less dangerous life with his better half, though he still skis a lot.. And he has a special 'friends sale' for extra discount  in his outdoor shop on saturday. Tilburg, Netherlands if you are interested..

I only saw some small mountains recently, the Apenines and some smaller Alps: just cycled from Rome to Munich past weeks, quite fun..

Cheers from the lowlands,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MvdB

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29 2006, 12:23 »

Sorry to go offtopic.. I'm new here, so I cant tell anything at all about all those people... but Harry, did you by chance happen to be in Eindhoven yesterday... coming back from Rome and all? Cause I met 2 people there on the railway station who just came back from a similair Cycle trip... would be funny coincidence imo
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29 2006, 12:49 »

Nope , wasn't me. I returned by train from Munich after a devastating night at the Oktoberfeste.. Was nice to see Europe from the inside again, instead of from above only.. and you pass some interesting placenames.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • I'm too lazy to update this text!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29 2006, 18:46 »

Hi!

Ron - no clue. Probably Trunl pissed him off too many times.
Trunl - was kicked out from Summitpost, but returned under the name daa
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=21692
He still claims to have summited Whitney and that his camera got stolen.
I was in contact with Buddha "off-site" now and then, but one day he just disappeared. Haven't heard from him for a long time, even if I've sent him a mail now and then.

I've been climbing a lot lately in Asia, so I haven't been online much.

Cheers, Corsair.

Wasn't Buddha the odd guy who had never climbed an anthill, planned, planned and continued to plan for Elbrus (incl. buying Olympus Mons) but then never actually went?

See, dreaming is good. Without dreamers there'd be no progress. But at the end of the day, dreams are only so good as far as you at least TRY to realize them.
Kilimanjaro (2005), Elbrus (2006), Kosciuszko (2010), next is Aconcagua

MikeW

• Climber
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29 2006, 19:46 »

Hey everybody!

You're right mc, Daisy and Mari who was supposed to go on that famous Elbrus 2005 trip have also vanished.

MoT, you must know what happened to Daisy!! When are you going back to Aconcagua to finish the job you started.

As for myself, I'm trying to get to Carstensz, was in Papua last month but couldn't get to the mountain (no helicopter pilot and impossible to trek because of the army). I'll probably go back on October 16 to try to knock off number 5.

Could start a new topic but anyone interested in Denali in May/June 2007. I'm going for sure, just don't know with whom. Would love to do it with fellow 7summits.com users. Harry, 3rd time is a charm, you should come.

MikeW

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29 2006, 20:05 »

haha, -40 degrees in May 2000 & getting arrested in June 2003... Maybe 2 times is enough, though the view from that summit is almost unbeatable... hmmm, maybe I will skip Everest for a year, so... But I cannot guide :)
How about Karstens ridge on the White one? Or up the West Rib and down Karstens..

Be careful with Carstensz, lots of fake operators now there and many climbs have been canceled recently..

Cheers,
Harry

MikeW

• Climber
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29 2006, 20:43 »

Hey Harry!

I'm up for anything (or almost!!!). You don't need to guide, I'm a big boy, but your experience will be welcome anytime.

Anybody else!

MikeW

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30 2006, 02:45 »

As for myself, I'm trying to get to Carstensz, was in Papua last month but couldn't get to the mountain (no helicopter pilot and impossible to trek because of the army). I'll probably go back on October 16 to try to knock off number 5.

Could start a new topic but anyone interested in Denali in May/June 2007. I'm going for sure, just don't know with whom. Would love to do it with fellow 7summits.com users. Harry, 3rd time is a charm, you should come.

Thanks for the update, Mike. I was curious which peak was next for you. (Secretly I knew you would be doing the Carstensz version.) Do you plan on doing Kosciuszko also? Good luck getting to Carstensz mid October.
Denali is one that I would love to do someday...but my priority after Kili next June is to head down to Argentina and try a few 6000 m peaks.

Cheers

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30 2006, 11:27 »

I remember Trunl the most.  He had high hopes of sponsors.  It helps if you can knock off one or two first, to show you are really serious.
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)
« Reply #13 on: Oct 1 2006, 22:22 »

I haven't been very active lately because I spend most of my time in the army...

I can start to focus on climbing again in april...but until then I just have to run in the woods and shoot things... :)
Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..

MoT

• Climber
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #14 on: Oct 2 2006, 16:22 »

Hey everybody!

You're right mc, Daisy and Mari who was supposed to go on that famous Elbrus 2005 trip have also vanished.

MoT, you must know what happened to Daisy!! When are you going back to Aconcagua to finish the job you started.

MikeW

I havent seen/spoken with Daisy in months either, long story. I think she might be off trekking in Nepal at the moment. We've kind of lost touch, unfortunately. As for Denali - I'm kind of regretting getting back into full time work - the freedom to travel wherever and whenever i wanted while doing locum work was fantastic! I'm now contracted until June 30th '07 minimum.

I really want to get into the big hills again - had an epic time in the Alps this summer with my good friend Tobias Hartung who i met on Elbrus last year, highlights included an unscheduled overnight bivouac on a knife edge ridge (first 4000er in the Alps! Definitely memorable. I've done lower and higher but now the 4000ers hold a great appeal) as well as collapse of a snowbridge under my feet while crossing a glacier! You always wonder what that would be like - I laughed like a maniac, amazing how inappropriate our reactions can be to a potential disaster! Great time though and I miss the snow and ice now!  We got some grade III and one section of IV climbing in (range AD to 1 short section of D-) and I've got the bug to consolidate our experiences! I'm definitely going to the Alps in winter, considering getting on an expedition medicine course in January, they allow time for skiers as part of the course, but of course i will be looking to climb some icefalls!

T
« Last Edit: Jan 4 2007, 00:13 by MoT »

MoT

• Climber
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #15 on: Oct 2 2006, 19:19 »

By the way Harry, is that a cucumber down your bike shorts or are you just happy to see everybody? (Ref: Bastardo.jpg) :D

MikeW

• Climber
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 2 2006, 20:17 »

Hey mc!

Yeah, I'll do Kozzie too but with my 3 kids and my wife, part of an Australian getaway, during their winter (my summer) so we can ski down from the summit since everydody can telemark, alpine touring or snowboard in the family. That will be fun!

As for you mc, good luck on Kili in June, such a beautiful mountain. And the Andes are great too, either in winter to ski in Portillo (great place) or in summer.

Great job in the Alps MoT, I'll join you in a couple of years after finishing the 7 summits. I want to do some 4000ers in France and Switzerland.

MikeW

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #17 on: Oct 2 2006, 20:30 »

By the way Harry, is that a cucumber down your bike shorts or are you just happy to see everybody? (Ref: Bastardo.jpg) :D

Hehehe, you do not know who took the picture :D

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #18 on: Oct 3 2006, 04:27 »

Hmm, I can't recall ever wanting to buy Mt. Olympus..

As for climbing, sure I had both hopes and dreams. I have tons of gear stashed away in the basement so if anyone is interested in something send me a PM and I'll make you a good price ;-)

Anthill, sure I haven't been outside Scandinavia to climb so I guess in some eyes I'm not eligible to write or even read in this forum.. This summer I climbed Kebnekaise (Sweden's highest peak) and some hills in Norway. Heck, I wouldn't call it climbing but rather trekking. I did use crampons though.
I was hoping to go there with Mari since we talked a lot about it last year. Replied to a mail she sent me earlier this year but sadly no response..

So, why didn't it go the way I wanted? Well, many reasons I guess. The main thing though is that my girlfriend didn't want me to go on any "dangerous" trips. In january 2005 we had a son, Hugo and then again this summer in june we had our third child, this time a girl. No matter how good a climber you are you are always putting yourself at risk when you're doing a seventh summit climb and since I'm basically totally inexperienced I didn't want my kids growing up without a dad, because their dad had a dream about climbing some mountains. If things had been different (read without kids) I would have gone ahead and climbed..

I still read these forums though and enjoy the experience it must be to climb a mountain through others tales and pictures.

Now I will shut up and climb back into the little hole that I came from..

[EDIT] After re-reading the topic I noticed that 617 was talking about Olympus Mons, not Mt. Olympus.. I have to read more carefully from now on. You are correct though, I was thinking about those boots but Ron got me on other plans so now I have a pair of size EU 12.5 Koflach Arctis Expe in my closet. Care to buy them?
« Last Edit: Oct 3 2006, 04:32 by Buddha »

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 3 2006, 06:35 »

Hey Budda!!!
I'm glad to see you on this forum. In my opinion, it's o.k. to dream and it's great to live those dreams. Either way, it can be positive. And ensuring your chances that you will be around for your kids is a great thing if you're not experienced enough to do the 7 summits.

Hey Mike!
I love your plan to bring your family to Kozzie for part of an Australian getaway. That is awesome! I, too, am an avid skier but I haven't tried telemark skiing or snowboarding...YET. Thanks for the good wishes...I'd like to know more about skiing Portillo in the winter. Might be nice to combine skiing and climbing in the Andes (though I'm not sure I have enough mountaineering experience to climb in winter.) I would like to go in 2008 and make it a one month trip, minimum, if possible.

Hey Harry!
I will dig up that summit pic on Whitney and see if I can scan and load it to this site...just for "old times sake".
p.s. love the new spell check option!

Cheers
« Last Edit: Oct 3 2006, 15:59 by mc »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.