7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andes mining project  (Read 4154 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Andes mining project
« on: Oct 5 2006, 01:03 »

I was quite saddened to read the following articles: Explorersweb and Mountain Wilderness . It is amazing to me how these mining companies are so driven by the bottom line without a second thought to the "big picture". They have no regard for the consequences of their actions. I hope this mining project will not come to fruition.

MC
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: Andes mining project
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5 2006, 02:59 »

Hey mc!

Have you seen what they have done on Carstensz! If they continue another 10 years, Carstensz won't exist anymore. All done by a good corporate citizen of the USA, Freeport MacMoran.

MikeW

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Andes mining project
« Reply #2 on: Oct 5 2006, 09:19 »

Hey mc!

Have you seen what they have done on Carstensz! If they continue another 10 years, Carstensz won't exist anymore. All done by a good corporate citizen of the USA, Freeport MacMoran.

Yes, mostly through the postings of Roger and Harry. It is hard to comprehend that an entire mountain could disappear from the face of the earth over money. And of course there are the politics that effect many people, namely the locals. And climbers! It is nice that you will probably get the opportunity to climb Carstensz while it is still a mountain!  ::)

MC
« Last Edit: Oct 5 2006, 09:23 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.