7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya  (Read 12904 times)

m.c. reinhardt

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: 50
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« on: Oct 21 2006, 10:27 »

I have a dilemma and I thought I would throw it out to my cyberspace mountain friends. As most of you know, I have been planning to climb Kili in June 2007 with 7summits.com. I now have an opportunity to trek to EBC this spring with climbers that I would be honored to trek with. She summited Everest last spring and her husband (who had oxygen issues) will be making another attempt this spring. I followed their climb last season and it would be very exciting to do this trek (and I have always wanted to.) I would have to postpone my Kili trip six months to a year and prices could go up. And sadly, the glaciers are slowly disappearing. Well, I know this is totally my decision but I thought I would throw it out there. I would love some feed back. Thanks!!! MC  ::)
The good news is that either way I have a great adventure to look forward to!
Logged
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Roger

  • Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • ***
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 78
  • Adventurer
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21 2006, 11:13 »

Hi MC

My tip is go with your gut feeling. I know you passionately followed Paul and Fi last year. The trek in with Paul and Fi will be nice as would spending time in East Africa. Both have their merits and I also believe the EBC trek will be quite affordable. You will get to see some remarkable moutains while there.

So what if Kili prices go up, its only money and cant be taken with you to your grave. Mountaineering is not a cheap business at any time!!

Go with gut feeling it is usually correct.

Cheers
Roger
Logged

7summits

  • 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • *******
  • Altitude: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1152
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21 2006, 21:54 »

Hi MC,

why choose :) ?
If you have the time and $$ you could combine the trips. If you had done the -beautiful- trekking first, then I would have no problem letting you sleep in the crater before summitday on Kili as you would be acclimatised.

Both places are stunning, so whatever you choose, you will have a great time. Kili normally does not increase in price during the year (last year an exception as the guide and porter salaries were increased), so if an increase price worries you, you can also go end of 2007. But normally the ticket costs are almost as high as the climb, so don't let that keep you away. 

BTW, not sure if it's an organised trek, but if you arrange your trek to BC yourself, you normally save many hundreds of $$.. I did not spend much last year and had a great time.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Harry
Logged
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: 50
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24 2006, 02:22 »

Thank you Roger and Harry. I appreciate your thoughts. Good advice, Roger, to go with my gut feeling. I am currently riding the fence but I still have some time. Whichever trip I take this May/June, my training will be pretty much the same. I will be doing some winter treks locally which should help if I do the EBC trek.
Harry, you always have a great solution. I love your plan but time and money will factor in some. I want to continue doing different “mountain adventures” so I'd like to spread them out a bit as my husband won’t be going along. We do many outdoor sports together (skiing, boating, white water canoeing, etc.) but he does not share my passion for spending quality time in the mountains. As I mentioned to you once before, Harry, he does love a good day hike! ::)
Thanks again, MC
« Last Edit: Oct 24 2006, 04:25 by mc »
Logged
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

m.c. reinhardt

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: 50
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10 2007, 14:22 »

Well, I have made my decision...I am going to climb Kili. My plan is to summit on June 30th. I still want to trek in the Himalayans but I would rather trek off season and do the Annapurna circuit.

A question for you, Harry. My plan is to climb Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams at the end of May. I have just applied for the Mt. Whitney lottery for the dates of June 9th and 10th. Providing that I summit all three, I am hoping this will be enough to help me to acclimate and be able to sleep at the Crater Camp. (I so wish the Breach would re-open but of course safety is the issue here.) I look forward to your thoughts, Harry.

MC  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 10 2007, 22:58 by mc »
Logged
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Roger

  • Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • ***
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 78
  • Adventurer
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12 2007, 13:26 »

Hi MC

I believe it is possible to go via the Western Breach. You should trek in via Shira Plateau-you will not regret it. This will give you more time to acclimatise and it is a lovely route with not too many people.

My tip also is to to Mt Meru first and take the long route day one. You must ask the guide to take you this way. More animals via this route.

The biggest tip is drink lots of water and Pole Pole is the key. Besides this you will have walked a fair bit in preparation with a small pack on your back.

You will have a lovely time on Mt Meru and Kili.

Let us know of any questions you have


Roger in Sydney
Logged

MikeW

  • Climber
  • ****
  • Altitude: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
  • To be is to climb!
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13 2007, 20:11 »

Hi mc!

Any decision is a good decision. I'm really sure that you will appreciate Kili, it is a beautiful mountain with great people. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I know that you followed them a lot last spring, Paul Adler is going back to Everest south side in March.

As for myself, I probably will postpone Denali for next year, so 2007 will be a relaxing year after a big 2006.

MikeW
Logged

m.c. reinhardt

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: 50
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14 2007, 06:06 »

Thank you Roger and Mike!

I am looking forward to climbing Kili and spending a little time on the Serengeti. And you are right Mike, either decision would have been good. I will be following Paul again this year. I hope he summits; he has earned it.

Roger, are you quite sure the Western Breach route has re-opened? This is great news!

MC  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 14 2007, 06:09 by mc »
Logged
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Roger

  • Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • ***
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 78
  • Adventurer
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14 2007, 11:01 »

Hi MC

My understanding was it is possible to go via WB if a disclaimer is signed and I also understood this is not offered by many outfitters. Now this is all purely speculation as I am not on the ground  in this region so you might wish to clarify this with Harry who is in contact with Zara whom I am sure would have current and correct information


BTW these water bottle parkas are a handy thing as it gets really cold up high on Kili and frozen water is not really palatable. I use them and they work well. Used them on Muztagata and that is heaps colder than Kili.

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_insulat_organize/WPB

Do you think you may do Mt Meru?

Cheers

Roger
Logged

7summits

  • 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • *******
  • Altitude: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1152
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15 2007, 19:10 »

Hi all,

good to see you all here :)
The Breach is still closed 'until further notice', signing agreements would be breaking park rules and also very dangerous as everything is loose there. And until we fix Global Warming it will stay that way.
What I do do with some clients is setting up a longer trip (10 days), where the crater camp is used after a night at Barafu camp. But this is always dangerous as simply the jump in altitude is high.
When summiting Whitney (make sure to take your camera ;-) ) etc, you will enjoy Kili a lot more as the first few days you will not suffer from the altitude. But the jump to crater camp from Barafu is still more than 1100m/3600ft, which can be anything from uncomfortable to very dangerous. This can not be predicted beforehand.

As you know I only set up private trips, so tailormade and can look with you about the best option. For some clients I have added the crater camp, with the notion that the guide will decide if you are acclimatised enough when at Barafu (and when walking a bit higher than Barafu when arriving there).

With best regards,
Harry
Logged
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: 50
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22 2007, 13:20 »

Thanks Harry. Btw, a friend of mine just summited Kili. She recommended doing the safari first. One, to avoid jet lag and two, after climbing Kili, she would have been a little tired to enjoy the safari. I had originally thought I would enjoy the safari more after doing Kilimanjaro. What do you guys think?

Roger, I don't have a lot of time so I won't be doing Mt. Meru. I can only imagine it would be spectacular. Thanks so much for your input.

MC  :)
Logged
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

  • 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • *******
  • Altitude: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1152
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23 2007, 14:08 »

Hi MC, actually there is a FAQ about that which I will copy here:

-----------
Q:   I want to climb Kilimanjaro and go on safari. What should I do first?
A:   Both are possible. We can organize any trip you like in any order and any length.
Most people climb first and afterwards go on safari as the safari is obviously more relaxed :-)

But it actually makes a lot of sense to go on safari first, especially if you do not have time to take a rest day after landing (see this FAQ about the advantages of taking a rest day). Your digestive system gets time to adjust to the timezone while on safari, so your body will be stronger and more effective when starting the climb afterwards.

When going on safari first you do not only acclimatize to the temperature and culture, you even acclimatize a bit to the altitude as the parks are located in the highlands with the NgorNgoro lodges and campsites above 2200m / 7200ft. This might not seem much, but might make a difference between a hard and a comfortable climb.
-----------

In short, I recommend especially the clients from the US/Canada to do the safari first.

Best regards,

Harry
Logged
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MvdB

  • Hiker
  • **
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26 2007, 00:22 »

It works out better that way yes, at least when you do have to coop with a Jetlag and such. although I must say, some people are really quick adapters, and for them it might not be necessary.

I did the same in ecaudor, instead of going straight for Cotopaxi(6 feet higher then Kili) I did some jungle trips and volunteer work first. So when I started climbing my body was already used to some altitude. It saved a lot of trouble I think.

On the other hand, depending on how strong you are and how well you function at high altitude( I assume you have previous experience) its definatly a nice reward to go on safari after climbing Kili. But once again: dont forget to acclamtize...

just my 2 cents

have fun over there :)
Logged
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi

m.c. reinhardt

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: 50
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Spring 2007 dilemma – Kili vs. The Himalaya
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28 2007, 06:31 »

Thanks MvdB and all who have been kind enough to post comments regarding my climb of Kili. I am still deciding whether to do the safari before or after the climb. As with most decisions, there are pro and cons. Either way, I know I will throughly enjoy my time in Africa! This week I am leaving for the Caribbean for some diving, sunshine and R & R but I will continue my training (I will have access to a gym.)

Cheers!
MC  :)
Logged
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.