7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit Deslauriers summits Everest and skies down 7 summits  (Read 16606 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Woman Skier Conquers Everest, 'Seven Summits'

by Melissa Block

October 23, 2006 · With her recent descent from the summit of Mt. Everest, Kit Deslauriers became the first person to ski the "seven summits" -- the tallest peaks on each continent.

Deslauriers skied down Mt. Everest on Oct. 18. The conditions deteriorated quickly while her expedition was on the summit, and she describes skiing down "5,000 vertical feet of 45-to-50 degree mostly shimmering blue and white ice."

Full story and some pictures here on NPR.

We are looking for more details on Kit for our statistics, please send them (Maiden name, dates etc) if you know them. Thanks!
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Kit Deslauriers summits Everest and skies down 7 summits
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24 2006, 04:24 »

I have been following the Berg Adventure’s autumn climb of “E” and was happy that the entire team along with the sherpas had summitted safely. I guess this was the first autumn summit since 2002 and first autumn south side summit since 2000. It was clear that Kit would be going for the ski descent (weather/conditions permitting); I just can not believe that she has done it! She is simply amazing! Kit wrote: “I developed a mantra during the descent that came to me from somewhere unknown…before each turn I would say to myself…like your life depends upon it…and then make a turn.” (From ExplorersWeb photo caption.) So she beat out Davo Karnicar! This is history in the making. Big time congrats to Kit and the team!
MC  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 25 2006, 03:29 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

MvdB

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24 2006, 12:22 »

yeah its amazing what they did... to climb "E" is one... but to ski down... if I ever get to the top I wont even think of skiing down(also because I've never skied before :P).

and funny to see another reader of ExplorersWeb.

btw MC: she beat out Davo Karnicar? as far as I know Davo skied down nonstop in one go from top to BC...
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24 2006, 12:47 »

btw MC: she beat out Davo Karnicar? as far as I know Davo skied down nonstop in one go from top to BC...

MvdB - Davo was indeed the first to make a complete ski descent down Everest on October 7, 2000. He is also going for the record to be the first person to ski down all seven summits. He just has Vinson left. If he succeeds this Nov./Dec., he will complete the seven. Sorry for the confusion!
Cheers, MC  :)

Harry
Being that Kit Deslauriers ski descent of Everest was not a "complete ski descent", how does that affect the record for being the first person to ski down the seven summits?

« Last Edit: Oct 25 2006, 03:25 by mc »

MvdB

• Hiker
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24 2006, 17:18 »

ahh ok MC :) thanks for explaining
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24 2006, 19:45 »

Hey Guys!

I don't want to be fussy, but you need a complete ski descent from the top to the snow line to count for having skied a summit. So Kit's Everest ski descent doesn't count, not that it's not an incredible feat to ski down the Lohtse face.

Quite a few people have skied on Everest but only Davo Karnicar has a complete ski descent from the summit to base camp with his skis on. When Stephen Koch wanted to be the first snowboarder to snowboard the 7 summits, he came on Everest a couple years back and skied from over 7000m on the north side. He never said he snowboarded the 7 summits because he never did a complete snowboard descent of Everest. Only Marco Siffredi did a complete snowboard descent of Everest and died trying for a second time on the Hornbein couloir.

So if Karnicar does the Vinson ski descent this year, he will be the only person to ski the 7 summits in my book.

MikeW
« Last Edit: Oct 24 2006, 19:48 by MikeW »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24 2006, 22:48 »

Hi Guys,

In my book skiing from the summit to the Hillary step and then 'only' down from the Lhotse face is no full ski descent from Everest.
To compare: Just imagine that someone is trying for an oxygenless ascent and (s)he was using oxygen on the section that Kit did not ski, and you will get the point :)

But still she finished the 7 summits, so we will add her for that.

Cheers all,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25 2006, 02:15 »

Hey Guys!

I don't want to be fussy, but you need a complete ski descent from the top to the snow line to count for having skied a summit. So Kit's Everest ski descent doesn't count, not that it's not an incredible feat to ski down the Lohtse face.

Hey Mike!
I would say you are not being "fussy", I did not think Kit's E ski descent should count either when I read it was not complete. Thanks for the explanation of a complete ski descent. I had wondered what the determination was for a mountain such as Kilimanjaro. I believe Davo's Everest ski descent was from the summit to right near BC - 5360m. So is it from the top to either the snow line or BC depending which comes first (or was 5360m the snow line that year?) 
Well at any rate, Davo has a great shot at being the first person to ski down the seven summits. Wonder if Kit will give it another go in the future. A complete ski descent down Everest is such an amazing feat! It really blows me away just thinking about it.
Cheers, MC   :)

We are looking for more details on Kit for our statistics, please send them (Maiden name, dates etc) if you know them. Thanks!

Harry
I couldn't find Kit's maiden name on any web-site but I found The North Face stats on Kit with good info. Interesting that The North Face currently has Kit listed as the first person to ski from all Seven Summits! (Under Recent Achievement.)
Kit is an accomplished stone mason with her own landscape design company whose name is a play on her name and the material she uses — Rockit Corporation. She graduated from the University of Arizona where she majored in environmental political science. (Taken from USAToday.com)
Kit has a great web-site. She is truly a remarkable woman!
MC
« Last Edit: Oct 25 2006, 06:26 by mc »

skicritic

• priscilla
  • Armchair...
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28 2006, 06:28 »

Ok so I need to clarify something real quick: Is it true that in 10 or 15 years (or less) when there is no snow a top Kilimanjaro, that this feat of skiing the 7 summits will no longer be attainable?  So if you are planning on knocking this off your things to do list, you need to get movin’?
When things "fall into place" then that is just reasurance that you are doing what is suppose to be...

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28 2006, 07:26 »

Ok so I need to clarify something real quick: Is it true that in 10 or 15 years (or less) when there is no snow a top Kilimanjaro, that this feat of skiing the 7 summits will no longer be attainable?  So if you are planning on knocking this off your things to do list, you need to get movin’?

Unfortunately it seems to be the case.

Which peak did Kit ski in Oceania?
I can't find any info about it, except that she has skied Mt Aspiring.
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

skicritic

• priscilla
  • Armchair...
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29 2006, 12:36 »

Unfortunately it seems to be the case.

Which peak did Kit ski in Oceania?
I can't find any info about it, except that she has skied Mt Aspiring.

I see that she skied kosciuszko
When things "fall into place" then that is just reasurance that you are doing what is suppose to be...

skicritic

• priscilla
  • Armchair...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29 2006, 12:38 »

So I am wondering what you think about skiing all the 7 summits.... do you think kili should be done sooner than later due to the melting snow/ glacier?

Corsair

• Scrambler
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30 2006, 08:38 »

I see that she skied kosciuszko

I mailed her last night and asked, and she told me she did ski kosciuszko in September last year.

Have you found any info about it online?

Corsair

• Scrambler
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18 2006, 19:28 »

Now the info is up on Kit's site.
http://kitdski.com/skiMountaineering.php
« Last Edit: Dec 18 2006, 20:12 by Corsair »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 23 queries.