7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Korean - American becomes the oldest to climb the Seven Summits  (Read 7747 times)

Cy Kaicener

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

The following article says that a 64 year old man has become the oldest person to climb the Seven Summits
Link
« Last Edit: Nov 4 2006, 16:08 by 7summits »

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Adventurer

I wonder if there is any point to being the "Oldest" to conquer the 7 summits?
Although the seven summits is a feat in itself, one could attempt at an earlier age the 6 harder climbs and save Mt Kosciusko until say your 70-100 and enjoy the nice stroll to its summit.

Another example is the longest time taken to attempt all 7 or 8 summits. I did Kosciusko when I was a young wiper snapper, back in the days you could actually drive to the summit and now I am 45. Now if I conquered the remaining summits I could have taken the longest. Point is, is there a point to some of these records.

Food for thought

Roger in Sydney

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.

I wonder if there is any point to being the "Oldest" to conquer the 7 summits?
Although the seven summits is a feat in itself, one could attempt at an earlier age the 6 harder climbs and save Mt Kosciusko until say your 70-100 and enjoy the nice stroll to its summit.
Food for thought

Roger
I could not agree more. I even addressed "the oldest record for the 7" last year on this site. I think the criteria for the record of the oldest person to climb the 7 summits could be as follows: The completion of the 7 summits; being the oldest to start and finish all 7. Just my food for thought. Records and stats are interesting. I understand people wanting to be the first to do something or breaking a record but really the bottom line is to enjoy what you are doing.
MC  :)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Thanks Cy, for the note; when we get his details the stats will be updated. By the way, Malli mastan also climbed Carstensz last week and he broke the Carstensz speed record.

I agree with Roger and MC, some records are quite silly. I hope that people still climb for the enjoyment of it, not to be the oldest, youngest, baldest or smallest person to climb them!
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Cy Kaicener

• Scrambler
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Roger and MC - In this case I agree with you also, but it is quite an accomplishment when a 70 year old climbs Everest like a Japanese climber did recently.

MvdB

• Hiker

thats true Cy, it is certainly an awesome accomplishment to do something like that at an age of 70. But regardless, I dont think being the oldest to climb all 7 is such a remarkable feat since you can idneed do the 6 toughest when you're 20-30 and then just wait for many years... anyways: I am and think climbing should be done because you enjoy/love/like it or whatsoever... breaking records is a fun thing if it comes alongs.
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.