7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was anybody watching Everest Beyond The Limit on Discovery?  (Read 19020 times)

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET

A pretty good show - it was the first time i'd ever had a chance to see decent footage of the Northeast Ridge route (and the first time i'd seen exactly what the route is like above the third step with the dihedral etc...). Some very dramatic stuff above and below the high camps. Everest's first reality show!

Having said that - i wasn't mad on the idea of them showing the close-up shots of two dead climbers. Perhaps a bit self indulgent. I know they had a point to make but the second climber's face was completely visible as was his frozen distorted body, still attached to an old safety rope. I think that might have been a bit over the top.

Any thoughts?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Hey MoT,

nope, was not on over here yet. And though the Dutch Discovery Channel is filled with info about the series, the only thing they do not mention anywhere is when they will show it!

Do you know which climbers they showed/where?

Cheers,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MvdB

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0

I dont know who they showed there,

But what I read on http://www.mounteverest.net/ a ~year ago was that they did film a dying climber, asked for his name, and moved on...(not sure if I recall the correct name, but I tought it was David Sharpe).. and knowing that part, I wont watch it. They left him dying.(yes I have never been so high, but still treating a dying person this way is something I dont like, not being capable of bringing someone down is a thing I can understand, but filming a dying person.. no dun like that)
"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."  -Mahatma Gandhi

MoT

• Climber
    • TightropeNET

Hey MoT,

nope, was not on over here yet. And though the Dutch Discovery Channel is filled with info about the series, the only thing they do not mention anywhere is when they will show it!

Do you know which climbers they showed/where?

Cheers,

Harry

They showed footage of one of the Himex climbers (Max) who tried to help a dying climber under a rock below the second step on his descent. That climber died the same day (?david sharp perhaps?). They showed two climbers later. I think the first may have been the same guy, half buried by snow under a rock. They also showed a body, frozen, attached to a fixed rope lying onhis back in a pinkish climbing suit (or perhaps faded red). You could see his face but not his location. They also made references over the radios during the show to a body at the top of the snowfield above the third step just before the dihedral - could this have been Marko Lihteneker, or was his body moved after he died?
« Last Edit: Mar 15 2007, 19:04 by MoT »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Thanks MoT, I was alerted by both Tinkje as well as Gijs (Thanks!) that it will start on Dutch TV on mondays, starting the 26th.

Anyway, Marko is still in the same place, I passed him in 2006. His suit is red and he is on his back, so maybe it was him. It was not at the top of the snowfield, but the bottom though (close to the top of 3rd step).

It seems like they showed 'Green Boots', the indian climber who died I think in 1996. He is under a rock/in a small cave filled with snow, only his (green) plastic boots are sticking out of the snow and David Sharpe is sitting a few meters away, almost next to him, but outside the cave...

Keep us posted, I welcome anybody's thoughts about this.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
    • TightropeNET

Anyway, Marko is still in the same place, I passed him in 2006. His suit is red and he is on his back, so maybe it was him. It was not at the top of the snowfield, but the bottom though (close to the top of 3rd step).

I suppose you'll know when you see the show - it's near the end of the last episode. Because it's a closeup all you can see is that he/she is clipped into the fixed rope. No identifying landmarks nearby really

All controversy aside though - it was riveting viewing. Even friends of mine who have ZERO interest in climbing have been glued to the TV watching it.

Andreas

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -3

Is it always a sherpa that summit first since they are organizing the fixed ropes? Never happen that for example a alpine style climber make the summit before them?

Very funny when the legless man broke his artificial foot and people where making jokes about it. This year there will be an armless man going "unarmed" to Everest http://thehendricksreport.wordpress.com/2007/03/03/unarmed-on-everest-2007/ he has walked to the South Pole earlier.

"I never drink water, that is the stuff that rusts pipes"

W. S. Fields

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion

I was disappointed to see them show Marko.  Yes, that was him.  I guess mainly disappointed because I knew him.  I will not forget that picture in my memory.  Exactly the same except for one small detail.

If they do not show it over there, pick up a tape from me when you visit.  i was in Antarctica with Alex for 4 of the 6 weeks that it aired.  We tried to watch it but could not find it on in Punta Arenas.

But several people taped it here (without me asking) so I have it.

Oh, speaking of rope at the everest summit.  I don't know why, but in 2005, they did not lay rope on the summit ridge.  nothing, and exposure for sure.  and i remember checking, the ice on both sides was rock hard so self arrest would probably not work, so it would have been a long drop.

Mountain john
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 2
  • Live your Passion

Andreas,

to answer your question, maybe in 2005.  I don't know.  But if there was no rope on the summit ridge (probably because of the strong wind), then it would be possible.

and Harry, wasn't our friend Victor the first to summit (or was he like third) in 2005.

By the way Andreas, you look a lot like me :)  Mountain John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

I suppose you'll know when you see the show - it's near the end of the last episode. Because it's a closeup all you can see is that he/she is clipped into the fixed rope. No identifying landmarks nearby really

All controversy aside though - it was riveting viewing. Even friends of mine who have ZERO interest in climbing have been glued to the TV watching it.
Just saw the last episode last night. They showed Green Boots and Marko. They also incorrectly marked some long distance shot as being Max with David Sharpe (they circled two people on the face while David and Greenboots are on the ridge). As far as I could see in the fast editing and drop-outs on the footage, there was no shot of David Sharpe.

Well-made production though, will be interesting to see how Motorman Tim & Mogens will do this year - Discovery is filming them again.

Andreas/John: I think that Victor summited around the same time, do not recall if he used the ropes. Yes,in 2005 the ropes stopped after the rock traverse, the last bit was interesting without them. Just yesterday two friends of Alex summited Everest (without oxygen), beating the rope-sherpas one day :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.