7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bruce Matthews: Photographs from Kathmandu  (Read 8140 times)

bruce matthews

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 2
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
Bruce Matthews: Photographs from Kathmandu
« on: Mar 25 2007, 22:00 »

Photographs of Kathmandu will be posted by the web master in the next couple of days.

These can be viewed on my web site under the link "Everest Stuff" - www.fitlifenz.com

A full report on the trek up from Lukla will be posted on my return to Kathmandu on March 31.

Bruce Matthews
« Last Edit: Mar 29 2007, 16:30 by 7summits »

OzCapie

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
Re: Photographs from Kathmandu
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27 2007, 21:18 »

Hey Blue,

Go you good thing, go. All the best, looking forward to the reports. Leaving for Cape Town in two days, will follow you from there when I get a chance.

You know who I am.:)

stoelle

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28 2007, 12:39 »

Photographs of Kathmandu will be posted by the web master in the next couple of days.

These can be viewed on my web site under the link "Everest Stuff" - www.fitlifenz.com

Bruce Matthews

Hi Bruce

When I go to "Everest stuff", I am just getting your itinerary and one pic of an aerial shot of Everest and surrounding peaks.

Wishing you and the team a safe journey to BC.

MC  :)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28 2007, 18:19 »

Hi Bruce,

could not find them either, you can also upload/attach them to your posts here, ro email them and I can do it for you.

Have fun!
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

bruce matthews

• Hiker
This one is for you MC
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28 2007, 18:21 »

Hi MC

I have sent mail to my web master and hope he will have photographs up soon...keep checking!

If you like the way I described Kathmandu, wait for Namche!

I arrived on Monday in Lukla and met up with a young Japanese trekker. We were strong and managed to get to Monjo in 3:07 of walking time...My Forerunner GPS measured 12.6 kilometers so I've called it 13! I think a young, healthy trekker could easily do Namche in a day but am not advising this!
Next day we did the roughly 5 kilometers in 1:50 and were in Namche in time for morning tea.
As we had time on our hands and were feeling fresh we decided to walk up to Everest View Hotel for afternon tea...this is 3880 meters and a very easy walk up via the airstrip.
Today was a big day to Thame and Thame Monastery at 4000 meters... the round trip was 19 kilometers and again , for a fit trekker, a worthwhile day! The highlight was lunch at Everest Summiteers Lodge owned by Apa Sherpa who has the record for 16 Everest Summits...his brother Nawang Sherpa prepared  lunch
Namche Bazar is wonderful with 40 lodges that are very clean and welcoming. The village, as you know, nestles against the mountain and is very colourful. The shops all sell the necessaries and if you have left something behind, you can get it here. The food in the lodges is of a very high standard and varied...we are having steak, egg and fries for dinner tonight along with a cold Budweiser! And all for less than $US 10.00
There are many Internet Cafe's so communications good. There are also a number of very fine bakeries serving up wonderful pastries and coffee!
I will be posting a full report of this acclimatisation phase of my trip once back in Kathmandu on the weekend!

Stay well

Bruce

bruce matthews

• Hiker
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28 2007, 18:33 »

Thanks Harry

If they are not up by the weekend I will get them to you!

Thanks

Bruce

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
Re: Thanks, Bruce!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29 2007, 06:24 »

Great descriptions of your trek to Namche Bazar. It sounds fantastic...I so look forward to the day when I am trekking through the Himalayan region!!!

I did not know that Apa Sherpa owned a Lodge called, Everest Summiteers. He is definitely one of my "heroes"!

Enjoy!!!

treefrog

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29 2007, 11:18 »

Hey Bruce,
Following your every step and have notified your Cape Town buddies as well.
We all have our collective thoughts right behind you supporting your back.
If ever in doubt just remember our focus is right there on your very next step...
Best wishes,
Gary, Sir Knigel, JB.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
Bruce Matthews: Photographs from Kathmandu & Namche
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30 2007, 03:17 »

Hi all,

Bruce just sent a bunch of nice photographs from Kathmandu, Namche bazaar, Thame, Khumjung and other places in the Khumbu valley. I have added all 40 images to a zipfile which can be dowloaded below, here is a selection:

Thanks Bruce, they look great!
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
Re: Bruce Matthews: Photographs from Kathmandu
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30 2007, 05:20 »

GREAT photos, Bruce! Viewing your photos make me wish I were there....one day soon!

Btw, Harry, I downloaded the zip file. Is there a way to view the photos without having to click on each one?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30 2007, 14:52 »

GREAT photos, Bruce! Viewing your photos make me wish I were there....one day soon!

Btw, Harry, I downloaded the zip file. Is there a way to view the photos without having to click on each one?

Hi MC, if you can open it, then you have WinZip or similar programs. Just select all and 'extract' to a folder on your harddrive, then you can browse through them more easy :)

bruce matthews

• Hiker
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31 2007, 18:43 »

Hi Harry

Thanks for setting up the photos and for your selection!

I am back in Kathmandu with Alex and some of the team...I hope to start reporting on their profiles in the next couple of days!

I will post the report on the Namche Bazar  leg of this trip tomorrow.

All of the pictures I  sent you are posted on  my web site as well and can be opened directly on a scrolling page.  www.fitlifenz.com

Big Bill arrives tomorrow so will send your best wishes.

Kind regards

Bruce

bruce matthews

• Hiker
« Reply #12 on: Apr 1 2007, 15:42 »

Hi Boet, we are here sitting on your stoep, drinking your excellent wine and beer. we finally did it.  Mowed the lawn this afternoon and garden is looking great!!! Only thing missing?   Some oke half way up Everest. It is great to be able to follow your adventure via this website.  We will follow with keen interest.  Just be sure to come home safely as I am not going to be mowing your bloody lawn forever!!!! Our best wishes and love, PJ, Trace and gals

A full report on the trek up from Lukla will be posted on my return to Kathmandu on March 31.

Bruce Matthews

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 23 queries.