7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 28 March: Bill Tyler: training for Everest  (Read 3484 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
28 March: Bill Tyler: training for Everest
« on: Mar 29 2007, 16:33 »

'The Worlds Biggest Bill' Tyler was on our team last year and this year he is back. He will also write updates which I will post here. This is his report looking back at the preparations:
-------------------------

"I can't remember which update number this is, so lets go with #11.

Tomorrow evening I will be winging my way yonder across the ocean and beyond. Back to the front!

I have a layover in Bangkok again and hope to get out to see a few more sights.

All is in place, and I will meet up with the expedition in Kathmandu on Sunday. This expedition promises to be great, with one returning friend and a stop in Lhasa, the home of the Dali Lama ( one of the places I wanted to see in this life so that is awesome).

Here are some stats from my work out program:

I decided to go in Nov (19th). I also wanted to rest 2 days a week. So:

19 weeks
130 possible workout days
Did: 85 workout days
Did: 45 rest days (7 days can be subtracted due to holidays, business trip, sore knees for anyone who wants to give me a break. )
Longest workout = 3.25hrs, (I was mad when I was recording the info, I thought I did 3.5hrs.)
Ran (treadmill or low impact machine)= 372.32 miles
Stair mill (not a stair master, but the rotating stair one, much harder) = 283.13 miles
Total of = 655.45 miles (seems like a lot, but....) That avgs 34.49 miles per week, or 7.71 miles per workout. Gosh that does not seem like a lot!!! My whole life revolved around that darn gym!!
Avg workout 1.75hrs. (the early days messed up the stats, since I was only doing .5-1hr workouts to get the body back) Most of the workouts for the last 2.5 months were 2-3 hrs in length.
Weight loss, well, I gave up after coming home from the gym after 3 hours of cardio and eating 5 diet food things and still being hungry. I was like, what the heck for! But, depending on the mood of the scale, I lost 11-14lbs. Everyone tells me I look thinner!!

It will have to do.

I would like to thank so many people. My wife first and foremost, for her strength and endurance to support me. She set up a surprise sendoff party which touched me deeply and I am so grateful for those who were able to make it. A huge thanks goes out for those folks who believed enough in me to help me with the cost of this climb. Thank you so much for all the kind notes and emails supporting me. I am undeserving of so much love from so many people. It is truly humbling.

I will be sending out updates (I have not asked, but if anyone doesn't want to get the updates, let me know and I will take your name off the list, no worries, I know how it is!) so keep an eye out. Here are some websites that will have lots of info on the goings on at Everest.

http://www.mounteverest.net/
http://www.everestnews.com/
www.fitlifenz.com  (this is a guy on the expedition)
http://7summits.com/  (look in the forums section)
http://www.7summits-club.com/

So, once again into the fray. The artillery is lifting, it won't be long now....

--------------
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: 28 March: Bill Tyler: training for Everest
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30 2007, 05:16 »

Good luck this year, Bill. I know the saying goes "third time is a charm". But I'm going with "second time is a charm"!

Wishing you good health, good weather and good luck!

MC  :)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.