7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: April 17: Bill Tyler: Back from ABC  (Read 2645 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
April 17: Bill Tyler: Back from ABC
« on: Apr 17 2007, 22:41 »

Back Home!
We have just come down from ABC, where we spent the night. 2 days ago we headed up the moraines to IBC, where we spent the night. The distance is 9kilometers, and we gain 600m in altitude. The walk is pretty boring, with the constant Yak trains and other climbers going up or down. But you really do not get to see the mountain. THe walk to ABC from IBC sucks. It is 11kilometers, and although not strenuos, it is just long. Then you turn to the right on the moraines and there she is, Everest, in all her glory. What really gets me is the altitude, which is 6400m. I felt fine, just alittle tired, and I was able to beat last years time by over an hour. The air is quite thin. Just trying to move around brings on a breathing fit. We turned in early, as all were tired, but I only slept for a few hours. Spent most of the night tossing and turning. It got pretty cold out well below zero, but I was burning up in my sleeping bag. Actually had to open the bag and let some cold air in to keep me from sweating the night away. My heat exchanger mask is the BOMB. Keeps me from drying out in the night and I do not have a cough at all. By this time last year I was coughing my brains out all day and night.

The veiws are spectacular, although ABC is in a narrow valley and one end is a box canyon. But when you look out you know you are high in the sky. The air is misty, hazy and clean.

This morning we packed up our stuff and spent 7 hrs walking down to the thick air of BC. The plain has filled up more, with new expeditions arriving everyday. I am glad we got here early and only have 2 more aclimatization hikes up to ABC and beyond. This means that we will be ready by first week of May for summit bid.

Doc Aundry had to leave the expedition, and is not expected back. He was the expedition doctor. Not sure who is going to take his place.

Other than that, I have actually been working the last 3 days. That make 5 work days so far this expedition!! And you all thought climbing mountains was hard work, Sheesh, like a summer club up here!

Stay tuned....
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: April 17: Bill Tyler: Back from ABC
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18 2007, 06:19 »

Great post, Bill! I have heard great things about the heat exchanger masks. It is great that you are using one. Could make the difference! Btw, you think it's like a "summer club"...wait until you get to the "tavern on the col". I hear it is quite plush.

I'm sorry to hear that Doc Andrey Selivanov had to leave the expedition as I have read such good things about him. I am sure Alex will have a great replacement.

Wishing you, Bruce, the team members, the staff and sherpas a memorable, safe and successful expedition!

MC   :)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Milan

• Buckle up baby, it's a bumpy ride
  • Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
    • dutch picture industry (filmcompany)
Re: April 17: Bill Tyler: Back from ABC
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19 2007, 23:30 »

It is going fast this year. Already to ABC and back, I read on Alex site that they even walked up to the NC?
What happened to Andrey, he is 'the' doc.
Bill if you get bored by all those stupid rocks, remember you are there and I am here :-). Wish you and the rest of the team all the best.

Milan
follow me..... or show me the way

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.