7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conditions on Kili?  (Read 12251 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Conditions on Kili?
« on: Jun 18 2007, 09:48 »

Hey Harry and all

Is there much snow at the top of Kili? Will I need crampons? My trip is from June 25th - July 1st. Also, would there be any reason to bring my SteriPen?

Thanks!
MC   :) 
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
Re: Conditions on Kili?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18 2007, 11:49 »

Crampons only required if by chance you are going out from the crater and investigating the glaciers.

I never used any purification.

Porters will boil all water for you and for my money up high I just water from glacial melt.

Will be cold at nights up high and especially on summit night if you are doing the summit trek at night.

Insulate your water bottles, add stuff to the water to make it taste nice and palatable. Plain water may be hard to consume.

Have good balaclavas and gloves for summit so you can enjoy it more without worrying about frozen head/hands. Maybe good quality hand warmers for summit trek also. I use outdoor research balaclavas and their Peruvian Hat to keep head warm.

Keep the questions coming

Roger

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18 2007, 20:17 »

Hey mc!

Porters boil the water but I didn't take any chances, I purified it to be sure. 50% of the group came down with stomach problems in the first 2 days, but me and my climbing mate were ok, is it related, I don't know but I wouldn't risk it.

No crampons needed anytime of year but a good and warm pair of socks to keep toes warm on summit day is appreciated.

MikeW

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18 2007, 21:51 »

Hey MC  8)

I have only heard of one of my clients from the past year that he had stomach problems on Kili (some other guy had trouble on Aconcagua, but that is another story  ::)), and he did not even know if he was suffering already before the trip. Whatever you decide with purification, personal hygiene is the most important, as well as shaking hands etc.

Crampons are not needed, it can be snowy any night of the year, but it will not be packed. I definitely second the warm boots/socks/gloves and the tasty drinks the other guys mentioned.

few nights to go!
Cheers,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19 2007, 10:17 »

Thanks everyone!!!

I went to REI and several other stores tonight looking for an insulator for my 3 liter CamelBak. I wanted a neoprene sleeve but could not find one. I do not want the CamelBak that is insulated as one piece (as I normally would not want something so bulky). I am assuming that I will be o.k. as long as I have something between the CamelBak and the outer part of my pack. Just wanted to confirm.

Thanks!
MC  :)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19 2007, 13:30 »

Hey MC,

for summit night I do not find Camelpacks very usable, it is better to have a thermos with sweet tea and some other bottle with a powdered drink, which you can drink at stops. If you drink a lot before departure, take some and then when coming down again a lot, you will be fine.

The hose will freeze, does not matter how insulated the bag itself is. Every kilo/pound counts and there is nothing worse than carrying frozen water up a mountain (though it might help against the receding glaciers).
If you will use the pack, always blow the hose clean after each sip (blow air into it until you feel no resistance), so that you have no water standing still in the hose at any time. If you forget it once, chances are it will freeze  :P

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19 2007, 14:26 »

Harry

I bought a CamelBak Thermal Control Kit (insulation for the hose and mouthpiece). How reliable is this; do you know? I used my CamelBak on Whitney and it spoiled me; I'd love to use it on summit night if possible. I did buy some GU2O to flavor the water.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19 2007, 19:20 »

It works a little but not much. Unlike a human body, water cannot keep itself warm, so you just slow down heat loss until it freezes. Do not compare it to a down jacket for a climber, where it balances out the heatloss and heat generation!

I used it and it still froze the moment I forgot to blow the tube empty after drinking, a real pain  O0

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20 2007, 03:56 »

O.K. then; a nalgene bottle on summit night. I have an insulated sleeve; so do I still need to keep it in my pack? I drink lots of water even at low altitudes...for me sipping every 5/10 minutes works best (I realize that this will not be practical on summit night).

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20 2007, 07:50 »

Might be worth drinking an extra litre or two the day before summit attempt (if possible). Prehydration will allow slightly less frequent drinks stops. Doesn't work for everyone though
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.