7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lincoln Hall-Dead Lucky  (Read 9263 times)

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
Lincoln Hall-Dead Lucky
« on: Jun 12 2007, 14:50 »

Hi all

Lincoln Hall has released a book called Dead Lucky a personal account of his survival on Everest.  Readers will recall Lincoln was given up for dead and remarkably was found to actually be alive. I listened to him talk today for an hour and it was a riveting account of his survival.

Harry you get a few mentions in it and some of your pics are included.

Cheers

Roger in Sydney

Cy Kaicener

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Lincoln Hall-Dead Lucky
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14 2007, 04:31 »

Lincoln Hall has released a book called Dead Lucky a personal account of his survival on Everest.  Readers will recall Lincoln was given up for dead and remarkably was found to actually be alive. I listened to him talk today for an hour and it was a riveting account of his survival.

Harry you get a few mentions in it and some of your pics are included.

Hi Roger, thanks. Actually I already have the book here, Lincoln send me some copies a month ago. I read it in one go and then again, it is well written. I did not have time to put up a proper report as I am busy finishing my own book - in Dutch I am afraid  :P

I will transfer this to the Books and movies forum, here is a bit of feedback I had sent Lincoln:

"Of course first I checked how I was mentioned, the index feature is very useful for my Google generation!, then I read the book in speed style the same day as it is a page turner, even when you already know what is going to happen. That reminded me of the time I met Joe Simpson, shook his hand, let him autograph the book I had already read before and then watched his presentation, during which I could not believe that he would actually survive, even when he was standing right in front of me!

I put your book aside for a few days and then read all of it with the proper attention for detail it deserves, here are some comments.

First of all I am amazed by the clear writing style. Having met you in person I know that often your spoken sentences can go on for many minutes in unidentifiable directions until they are lost in the dark. Then a well-placed 'anyway' gets them back on track :)

But your writing style is very clear and readable. I know you are an accomplished writer, but I had not seen any proof of it before this book and am looking forward to reading the others when I can find them. As you already mentioned in the story, your sense of humor is similar to mine and I laughed out loud several times when reading.

I was surprised that you did not know abut the expedition size and other backgrounders as these had been discussed with Mike and Richard in detail in the months before the expedition, but at least now I know why you looked so worried at thebrieefing in Kathmandu.

(some spoilers deleted  8) )

Overall, I could not put it down and assume that it will sell well. I am very curious about the critiques, I was impressed with it and honoured to be a part of your misadventure."

--------

And yes, there are about 5 pictures of mine in the book as well as the cover photograph, which I shot in BC after Lincoln arrived.

Not sure when it will be published outside Ozzieland, but it should as it is a pageturner like Into Thin Air or the aforementioned Touching The Void.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.