7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 7 Summits Record!  (Read 10759 times)

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
New 7 Summits Record!
« on: Jul 1 2007, 18:10 »

Just heard a report on the radio that Irishman IanMcKeever has smashed the 7 summits record from 187 days to around 156 days. Can't find much news on it though and his blog hasn't been updated in a while...

http://www.takemehigher.ie/blog.html

(They did the Carstenz verison)
« Last Edit: Jul 1 2007, 18:17 by MoT »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: New 7 Summits Record!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1 2007, 18:18 »

Yep, it's true, Grania Willis just sent me this this morning:

An Irish climber has smashed the world record for a Seven Summits speed ascent by a full month. Ian McKeever summitted Mount McKinley in Alaska at 11.10pm (8.10am Irish time) on Saturday (June 30), slicing an incredible 31 days off the previous record of 187 days set by Canadian Daniel Griffith in November of last year.

"What an ordeal!", McKeever said in a phonecall back to Ireland after the descent to Camp II on McKinley. "It was horrendous, the weather was horrific and it took us three attempts, but I feel incredible now and very proud to be Irish."

McKeever's Ulster Bank Seven Summits challenge kicked off on January 25, the day he reached the summit of the 4,897 metres Antartic peak Mount Vinson. Aconcagua (6,959 metres) in South America followed on February 11, then Kilimanjaro (5,895 metres) in Africa on March 3 and Carstensz Pyramid (4,884 metres) in Australasia on March 16.

An attempt on the highest European peak, Mount Elbrus in Russia, had to be aborted in mid-April when temperatures plummeted to -40, forcing the team to abandon the bid for the 5,642 metre summit just over 200 vertical metres from their goal. But there was success on the north-east ridge of Everest just over a month later, when 37-year-old McKeever stood on the 8,848 metre summit on May 16 after just 25 days on the mountain.

Despite being hit by snowblindness on the Everest descent, McKeever was back in Russia less than a fortnight later, summitting Elbrus on May 31. But McKinley didn't give up her summit easily, lashing the expedition with ferocious winds and snow, twice forcing the team to turn back on the summit push. McKeever, who used the record attempt to raise funds for two Irish charities, finally reached the top of the 6,104 metre peak on the last day of June, setting a new world record of 156 days for the Seven Summits

Grania Willis
Irish Times

---------------
Interesting that Elbrus has kept him from an even shorter time. The one to beat this has to do a winterclimb of Denali!
« Last Edit: Jul 1 2007, 18:41 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Cy Kaicener

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 7 2007, 15:56 »

http://www.climbingnews.com  says Dave Pritt of the UK has beaten the 156 day record by 31 days if I read it correctly.

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #3 on: Jul 8 2007, 21:03 »

No, I think he was McKeevers guide/partner for the climb. I guess they must have both done it in 156 days, although the Adventure Peaks website only credits McKeever with the record. Dave Pritt is a guide with Adventure Peaks and he certainly finished the 7 summits challenge on Denali but I don't know if he did the seven in 156 days or not.

Typical though, the British media didn't even mention the Irish climber in a lot of cases. And when it's comercial or convenient they try to hail our heroes as their own. I remember the time they hailed Bob Geldof as 'our English saint'... Grrrr... :)

Annnyway - back to the point. Here's the blog on Adventure Peaks' website

http://www.adventurepeaks.com/news/IanmckeeverNews2007.html
« Last Edit: Jul 8 2007, 21:12 by MoT »

Nudge

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 2
  • Enjoying myself.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 1 2007, 00:58 »

I met them both (and their camera man) on Denali. Dave Pritt did not summit everest thats why Ian McKeever has the record. Also for the record they used my phone and were "guided" as I was by Mountaintrip.com 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 23 queries.