7 summits and other mountain stuff > Books and movies

3x Everest, Harry Kikstra's new book (in Dutch) out now

(1/3) > >>

7summits:
Hi All,

for those of you that know the elusive Dutch language  ;D you might be interested in my new book, called:

3x Everest
(Over leven op grote hoogte)

The book is 259 pages + 24 full colour pages with photos (50 photos in total including 7 full page photos) + 2 pages maps and is divided into 3 parts:

I: Alleen op Everest (Alone on Everest): about my 2004 expedition (with the Dutch team),
II: 4 dagen in de Death Zone (4 days in the death zone): 2005 (where a teammate died and I summited, but almost did not get down)
III: Sight On Everest: 2006 (the season of Thomas Weber/SightOnEverest, Lincoln Hall, David Sharp etc).

It is not just a mountaineering book, but a personal account of the climbs, with reflections about the attraction of mountains, culture and nature, passion, fear and critiques.

I just received the first copy and it looks very nice; the rest of the first print of the books are being distributed now and should be available in the Dutch and Belgian bookshops and online shops in a few days.

Click here (new window) or the image below to buy it at online store Bruna.nl (from 1st Nov.):, or
 here to buy it al BOL.com if you prefer that store.

Update: I have a few copies myself, so if you want a signed copy (great Sinterklaas gift :)), paypal €22 including shipping within the Netherlands to "bookings at 7summits dot-com"

(it is an affiliate link, so we will receive a small percentage of sales! Even if you want to pick the book up in the Bruna store, you can still order and pay it online.)

English/Dutch data:
Title/Titel:                3x Everest
Subtitle/Ondertitel:    over leven op grote hoogte
Author/Auteur:          Kikstra, H. 
Publisher/Uitgever:    Ambo
ISBN:                       9789026320958
ISBN10:                    9026320957
Type/Bindwijze:         Paperback, 21.6x13.6cm, 410grams
Price/Prijs:                €19,95
Date/Datum              01-Nov-2007

(note that on most website a different cover is still shown;that was only a temporary one and has never been printed; the one above is the real one  8) ).

I am looking forward to your reactions and reviews, do not forget to post any reviews on the shop-websites as well (BOL.com, Selexyz.com, Bruna.nl etc). Thanks!

Dutch Blurb:

Drie tochten naar het hoogtepunt van de wereld - over het verlangen van een man om de grens tussen leven en dood op te zoeken, en deze ongewild te overschrijden

Waarom wil iemand de top van de hoogste berg ter wereld bereiken - en niet één maar drie keer? In 2004 beklimt Harry Kikstra voor het eerst de Mount Everest. Hij begint doodziek aan de tocht en het team waarvan hij deel uitmaakt, valt ten prooi aan onderlinge ruzies.
Een jaar later probeert hij het opnieuw. De expeditie verloopt dramatisch: een teamgenoot overlijdt, hijzelf bereikt, meer dood dan levend, als tiende Nederlander ooit de top. Maar dan moet de gevaarlijke afdaling nog komen.

In 2006 wordt Kikstra benaderd door een klimmer met een oogziekte. De expeditie eindigt rampzalig en is wereldnieuws: twee doden en één klimmer die ternauwernood gered kan worden. 3x Everest is behalve het spannende verslag van drie tochten naar de top van de hoogste berg ook een verhaal over de aantrekkingskracht van het klimmen, over de grote gevaren voor het menselijk lichaam, over angst, de aan gekte grenzende fascinatie voor het hoogste punt op aarde en de kritieken vanaf de zijlijn.

Harry Kikstra (1970) is avonturier en fotograaf. Hij beklom als derde Nederlander de '7 summits': de hoogste bergtop van elk continent op aarde. Hij publiceerde zijn foto's en verhalen in onder meer National Geographic, Panorama en Penthouse. Hij verliet het zakenleven, richtte de populaire klim- en adventuresite www.7summits.com op, en organiseert nu expedities over de hele wereld.

KarinS:
Hi Harry,
Congratulations to the new book! Would also like to read it .... But unfortunately, I can not "Dutch."  ???
Is planned, the book to be published in English or German? And if so, when?
Many greetings from the north German „lowlands“  :)
KarinS

7summits:
Hi Karin, thanks for your reaction.
Maybe if I can find some time, I might write an English version, though it is not planned yet, too many things to do  :P
But it is still in the back of my mind, so if a friendly agent or publisher comes along... 8)

m.c. reinhardt:
Hey Harry

I have been waiting for this book (only I too, need the English version). I sincerely hope you will find the time and maybe a friendly agent or publisher!

I want a signed copy!!!  8)

MC  :)

MvdB:
I can read it :) long live the dutch ;-)

Probably going to buy it when I am back in the netherlands. but first: study in the USA, and climb some peaks in the Adirondacks(nothing technical challenging, but a nice way to get more used to winter ascents on mountains :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version