7 summits and other mountain stuff > Books and movies

New series Everest on Discovery Beyon the Limit starting today

(1/1)

7summits:
Just got a note that Discovery is starting with the new Everest series today. It seems almost a reply of last year's series with the returning Tim Medvetz who clashes with Russel Brice and Mogens who so badly want to climb without oxygen.

The first 4 weeks seem to be summarized in one show with the other 7 show covering the following 2-3 weeks, so expect a lot of nice footage and repeated cliffhangers.
Will be interesting to see their accompanying series, After The Climb, where other climbers are being interviewed.

Here is a little warming up video trailer (no pun intented)
[youtube=425,350]DO8H0F4H33o[/youtube]

As I am in Amsterdam and later in Argentina, I cannot see it here, so let us know how it is!

----------------------------
EPISODE DESCRIPTIONS
EVEREST 2: BEYOND THE LIMIT
AND AFTER THE CLIMB

[SPOILER ALERT] These are the contents of the episodes, if you want to be surprised, do not read this, though I assume the images will be great anyway.

The eight-part, limited-run series EVEREST 2: BEYOND THE LIMIT premieres Tuesday, October 30, at 10 PM (ET/PT) and airs through Tuesday, December 18.  A four-part companion series, AFTER THE CLIMB premieres Tuesdays at 11 PM (ET/PT) beginning November 27.

EVEREST 2: BEYOND THE LIMIT

EPISODE 1: DREAM CHASERS
Tuesday, October 30, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

Everest has killed more than 200 people, yet nothing will stop amateur climbers from risking their lives to conquer it.  Discovery Channel returns to Everest for another climbing season with legendary expedition leader Russell Brice and a new team of daring men and women.  High resolution cameras capture the action as the climbers and an elite team of Sherpas attempt an early summit. Back at camp, Russell realizes that he’ll have his work cut out for him in preparing this year’s team for the climb of their lives.  Meanwhile the climbers realize the true dangers that lie ahead when they witness two professional climbers fighting for their lives in the Death Zone.

EPISODE 2: ON THE ROPES
Tuesday, November 6, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

Russell Brice's team of amateur climbers faces their first big test. He's set a five hour deadline for them to climb 2000 feet to the first high camp, perched atop a punishing ice cliff. The climbers set off for Camp One, but almost immediately, British climber Rod Baber is in trouble. He's struck by a crippling headache which could be the first warning sign of Acute Mountain Sickness or even cerebral edema - a swelling of the brain that can kill within minutes.  Los Angeles journalist Betsy Huelskamp is also struggling to make the deadline.  Meanwhile, two climbers from Kazakhstan, who the team saw fighting for their lives in the Death Zone, are still missing.

EPISODE 3: JUDGEMENT DAY
Tuesday, November 13, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

The team is at 24,500 feet - higher than anywhere outside the Himalayas - but the sun is beating down and it's incredibly hot. Even the fittest climbers are struggling with dehydration and exhaustion as they try to reach Camp Two.  Only one climber makes Russell's deadline and there are serious questions about who'll be allowed to try for the summit.  Tim Medvetz is told by Russell to: "Get your s**t together man", and ordered to stop being so arrogant.  Mogens, who is determined to summit without bottled oxygen, faces some hard truths when Russell tells him: "I don't think you can make it without oxygen." Betsy Huelskamp's summit dreams are left hanging by a thread after Russell's guides turn her around just below the Death Zone.

EPISODE 4: WORLD RECORD
Tuesday, November 20, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

The training and the acclimatization climbs are over. The expedition leaves Base Camp heading for the summit, as the death toll for this year’s climbing season continues to grow.  High above the rest of the team, David Tait and Phurba Tashi are within hours of the summit, but even if they make it, they're only a quarter of the way through their extraordinary world record, double traverse attempt. Neither of them has ever been on the south side of Everest, where they will fall into the shadow of the mountain – radio silence – and be on their own.

EPISODE 5: LONG WAY DOWN
Tuesday, November 27, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

Word comes from the south side that the two team members attempting a double traverse, David Tait and Phurba Tashi, have been spotted making their way down toward the highest camp and relative safety. But their world record attempt may be over.  Russell Brice gives a pre-summit pep talk to the team, and reiterates how dangerous the climb will be and how he won't tolerate anyone disobeying his orders.  As Team One sets off for the summit, Tim Medvetz is last out of camp and taking his time on the first leg to Camp One. When Tim eventually arrives there, Russell threatens to throw him off the team.

EPISODE 6: THE DEATH ZONE
Tuesday, December 4, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

Team One fights their way to Camp 4 inside the Death Zone at 27,500 feet, where their bodies are slowly dying from lack of oxygen. As they arrive they're met with the sight of a dead climber lying in the snow.  Meanwhile, as Team Two gets ready to leave Advance Base Camp, an Irish mountaineer with excruciatingly painful snow blindness is brought to see expedition doctor Monica Piris.  Asthmatic Mogens Jensen has made it to Camp 2, but suffers a bad asthma attack during the climb. He must determine whether or not he’ll continue his pursuit of a summit without supplemental oxygen.

EPISODE 7: BREAKING POINT
Tuesday, December 11, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

Five miles high in the Death Zone, Team One sets off for the summit at midnight in minus 30 degrees.  Before the sun rises, Tim Medvetz falls and snaps two bones in his left hand. Any accident in the Death Zone is potentially fatal, but Tim has decided not to radio expedition leader Russell Brice because he knows he'll be ordered to turn around. He's now gambling with his life - hoping he can make it up and down with only one good hand.  British climber Rod Baber is hoping to make the world’s first mobile phone call from the summit, while Californian doctor Fred Ziel continues to forge ahead. 

EPISODE 8: NOW OR NEVER
Tuesday, December 18, 10-11 PM (ET/PT)

Conditions are uncharacteristically perfect as Team Two attempts early morning summits.   Asthmatic Mogens Jensen and 71-year-old Katsusuke Yanagisawa ascend toward the summit.  Even for those who do make it to the highest point on Earth, it's not over yet; 80 percent of deaths happen on the descent, and dangers lurk ahead.  Tim Medvetz is still struggling with his badly broken hand, which is so swollen he can't remove his glove. An anchor for the safety ropes gives way, leaving Mogens dangling perilously over an 8,000 foot drop.

AFTER THE CLIMB
Tuesdays at 11 PM ET/PT beginning November 27

Hosted by Phil Keoghan (The Amazing Race), this four-part series features amateur climbers from the 2007 climb, joined by an illustrious pantheon of Everest mountaineers, for a candid conversation about climbing the mother of all mountains, their individual climb experiences, their motivations and concerns about attempting something so dangerous, whether technology and willpower are enough in the face of the power of nature, whether any of them could survive without the Sherpas, and more. 

###

m.c. reinhardt:
Thanks for the heads up, Harry. I just watched the first episode. After following the 2007 season, it is very interesting to see Russel's expedition on film.

MC 8)

Peggy:
Hi everybody,

I bought the DVD "Beyond the Limit" and enjoyed it very much.

Since I`m a "really armchair" - I watched ALL 6 episodes one after the other!!!!

Even my elderly dad (83 years old) watched it with me, but took several naps inbetween and was impatient if they would ever reach the summit!!!

But I think it is an excellent documentary for those who can not imagine how strenuous and exhausting Everest is!!!

Greetings from Germany,

Peggy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version