7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Western Breach open Dec. 2007  (Read 6111 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Western Breach open Dec. 2007
« on: Nov 13 2007, 15:19 »

Just read this on Zara's website. "The Tanzania National Parks authorities have recently announced that with effect from 1st of December 2007, the Western Breach Route of Kilimanjaro (Arrow Glacier) will be open to the public again." Zara

Maybe I'll have to go back (I wanted to climb the Western Breach route)!  ::)

MC  :)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Western Breach open Dec. 2007
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13 2007, 15:28 »

Thanks MC. yes, the route will likely be opened again. I will be in Tanzania next May/June and will try to check it out, to see if it is really safe.

Do note that the reason it was closed has not disappeared. Due to the melting of the ice, more and more rocks are getting loose and will fall down. This means that a risk of rockfall is always there, just like there was before it was closed off.

Also, the climb is steeper than the other routes and can be icy. Though normally you do not need crampons, you need some firm footing and not be afraid of some scrambling/basic rockclimbing.

The best thing is that this means that the exit route through the Breach is open again, so in case of emergencies in the crater, people can be evacuated more quickly. Now let's hope that nobody tries to climb the route in 6-7 days as this is too quick to safely sleep in the crater  8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.