7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: carstensz  (Read 8535 times)

mtnhombre

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
carstensz
« on: Nov 16 2007, 06:25 »

does anyone know of any outfitters who do carstensz other than the one listed here. their expedition dates never work out for me.
thanks,
dan
mtnhombre@aol.com

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: carstensz
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16 2007, 22:35 »

Hey!

There are a lot of outfitters that climbs Carstensz. Mountain Trip, Alpine Ascents International, Adventure Consultants, Jagged Globe, or if you know what you're doing on a big wall with some climbing over 5.8 with fixed ropes and over 600m of rappeling, you can go direct with the local Indonesian contact of those outfitters Mr Franky Kowass of Manado Adventure (www.manadoadventure.com). He is a nice guy and very ressourcefull but not a very technical climber.

It is a great climb mostly for the visit of the tribes of the Baliem Valley of Papua since the climb is done in about 12 hours round trip. If you can, go through Bali, it is a lot more fun than going through Manado, I know, I've done both!!!

MikeW

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
Re: carstensz
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18 2007, 13:24 »

Hi guys

Here is an interesting read of Carstensz access with Franky via the Freeport mine, he is currently paying the Brimob (special police) to gain access as they are the only ones who can gain this sort of access.

http://www.nickibranch.com/carstensz-updates.html

BTW Harry, I note your Carstensz trip is via Bali (Denpassar) to Timika then Jayapura, you may wish to check as Garuda no longer flies via Denpassar as of this week. Garuda goes Jakarta-Makarsar-Timika-Jayapura

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.