7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Machines  (Read 12368 times)

Jay-Bear

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -3
  • It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
Machines
« on: Jan 8 2008, 18:55 »

Hi Folks,

I believe the best exercise to prepare for climbing IS climbing, but not all of us live in mountainous areas...So, does anyone have any thoughts on the best machine to supplement an exercise program (e.g. running, swimming, hiking, biking, etc.) to help prepare specifically for mountaineering? 

I was kicking around purchasing a Versaclimber (108HP) or a Stairmaster StepMill (7000PT).  The Versaclimber is much cheaper but I`m concerned more about results than price. Any experience with these or other machines?  One can wear a backpack with the stepmill, but I think you would need to wear a weighted vest for the Versaclimber.

BTW, I was fortunate enough to summit Kili and Elbrus in 2006 and Aconcagua in 2007.  Can`t wait to get on another mountain when time allows!!  Thanks and a Happy New Climbing Year to everyone!

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Re: Machines
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9 2008, 03:09 »

Hey Jay-Bear!

Congrats on summiting Kili, Elbrus and Aconcagua; well done! Where's the TR and pix? ;)

I am one of the lucky ones who live near beautiful/challenging mountains and I agree hiking/climbing is the best training. But I also belong to a gym and I am a FIRM believer in the Stairmaster StepMill (7000PT). For me, it is the next best thing. Recently, to mix it up, I've started on the treadmill at an incline of 12 for 30 min. (will take it to the highest incline of 15 this month). I go at a fast walk, level 4. All of the activities you mentioned are good. A lot of mountaineers I know choose cycling.

Here's to climbing many mountains in '08! 8)

Best,
MC
« Last Edit: Jan 10 2008, 03:30 by m.c. reinhardt »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Jay-Bear

• Armchair...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 9 2008, 20:03 »

Thanks for your thoughts MC!

I tend to agree with you about the stepmill.  I think it does a better job replicating the movements done in hiking/climbing and also allows you to wear your heavy duty (though not plastic  :( ) hiking boots and backpack.  Besides, it`s always fun to get the strange looks from gym-goers when you get on the stepmill with your boots and backpack.   :o

I also think it is a good workout.  While I usually do not sweat much during exercise, I am dripping after an hour on the stepmill (ok, tmi).   ;D

As far as trip pics...sadly, I have not yet figured out how to attach them here. One day...

Happy Climbing!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10 2008, 18:29 »

I have zero mountain close where I live, so for me the best training is roadbiking, preferably with a strong headwind. In the gym a rowing machine is also very good to strengthen often-forgotten back and stomach muscles as well as your heart.

As for adding images, click the "additional options" link at the bottom when posting and you can add images!

Cheers,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Jay-Bear

• Armchair...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11 2008, 01:56 »

Thanks Harry!

Hero shots added in this and the next post due to size limitations...

Jay-Bear

• Armchair...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11 2008, 02:04 »

Last summit shot...for now!  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.