7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vern Tejas breaks Seven Summits record at age 57  (Read 12287 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.

Remarkable!!! I love Vern. Story here.
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Vern Tejas breaks Seven Summits record at age 57
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8 2010, 07:03 »

Ha, MC is faster than me as usual :)
(Unfortunately the reporter did not quote 7summits.com as one of the sources, even though I answered her questions about the record.)

Anyway, Vern had just emailed me with the details of his new record: 7+1 summits in 134 days. As I wrote him: I assume this record will stay for a long time until global warming will make March Denali and Vinson climbs possible...
We will add him to the statistics soon, we are awaiting some more results from the past Everest season.

Some quotes from Vern:

" Kilimanjaro remarks:
These climbs were a challenge to complete the 7(8)summits in the shortest elapsed time. This was the 9th time for me to complete the original(Bass list)7 summits. Due to the intensity of the project, acclimatization was not a problem and many mountains were climbed more rapidly than normal. Kili was completed in less than 48 hours. I submit these climbs as the fastest 7(8)summits. "

"Elbrus remarks: This was a one day solo which I can supply photos for
Aconcagua_remarks: 3 day solo with photos"

"climbing_bio: Vern Tejas professional mountain guide completed speed 7(8)summits on 05/31/10. This was a 134 day effort. I have been guiding high altitude mountains for 30 plus years and have helped hundreds of climbers fulfill their mountaineering goals. "

"Of course, records are made to be broken, so I suspect there will be more challenges in the future. However, I am happy to reclaim the fastest title for the time being."

"(my) guitar accompanies to every mountain(great for storm days)yet is a bit too much to take to every summit (as I have in the past).(another 7S first, I believe) It usually stays in one of the high camps on summit day. There is a photo in the Martin Guitar cataloge of me and one of their fine products on top of Everest."

Congratulations Vern!

Cheers, Harry
(attached a picture of Vern and me in Antarctica)
« Last Edit: Jun 8 2010, 07:34 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27 2010, 16:15 »

??? Is he saying he's done the (Bass list) 7 summits 9 times??? Why would you even do it twice? Surely there are better peaks to climb?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27 2010, 17:49 »

hehe, because it's his job! I also have done most twice, and know Pat Falvey climbed all at least 3 times
Vern is one of the best guides in the world. At least now he finally climbed the real list, with Carstensz  ;D

MoT! Are you still climbing?
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29 2010, 23:55 »

I am still climbing indeed - no big plans for next few months though. :) Have lost a lot of fitness recently, no thanks to some unsociable work hours and a long commute, but that's all about to change with my new job in July!

Falvey's done it twice, alright (Bass version).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.