7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mont blanc  (Read 4368 times)

everest7

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 1
  • Have fun
mont blanc
« on: Sep 5 2010, 13:30 »

Thinking of attempting Mont Blanc end of June next year. Is it possible to do it unguided?  O0

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: mont blanc
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7 2010, 06:29 »

Hi Everest7,

it all depends on your experience and that of your teammates. I climbed Mont Blanc 3 times on different routes without a guide. But I was always either in good company or I was sufficiently experienced to take a friend with me.

The Normal route (Gouter Hut) up and down is not too technical, but you definitely need:
- a partner to get roped to
- experience in snow and ice, cold, dark & narrow ridges
- good shape/condition & previous acclimatisation
- timely reservations for the hut if you want to stay there
- an early corssing o fthe bowling alley, which has proved lethal in recent years (rockfall).

It is a beautiful climb and the views from the summit are usually stunning. But it is not for beginners, unless you take a guide. In the Alps the guides are protected, so you need a licensed UIAGM guide and they are costsly. Besides, on all 3 trips I have seen several 'bad' guides, either dragging the clients up or down, making them give up, so the guide can come down quickly or even put them in danger. So please do check out your guide service carefuly.

Enjoy and share the photos here!

Cheers, Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.