7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you afford to Climb?  (Read 7927 times)

Damon

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
how do you afford to Climb?
« on: Mar 19 2003, 04:24 »

I am a recently unemployed Engineer, Living in New Jersey.  I used to live in California, and was able to make climbing trips to Cascades, Colorodo Rockies, or Utah for weekend trips, or depending upon available time.  I have been fortunate enough to see most of the US excluding Alaska, and to have done dozens of Mountains, since the time I was about 10 yrs Old.  I would love to be able to do some larger mountains, but the cost of these trips seems to be highly prohibative.  I would love to know of a way to afford some of these expeditions.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:how do you afford to Climb?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20 2003, 03:01 »

Hi Damon,
well first of all: check the prices! You can spend loads of $$$ on exactly the same trip which you can get elsewhere (=here ;-) for less...
Why pay triple the amount for the same trip?
Really, a week on Kilimanjaro is probably cheaper than a week in NY... just as long as you do not book it with the 'leading US companies' who use our people on the spot...

But if you want to go to Vinson or Everest there are only 2 options:

- you already got plenty of money
- you know here to get plenty of money.

Some people have taken a second mortgage on their homes to pay for Everest. Many E climbers are simply rich (doctors, lawyers, business men) and in the nineties many climbers got sponsored. But companies take it easy on the sponsoring nowadays, So your story better be good: what do they get in return, why is your climb special ('first 6ft3" white male' won't get you much money...)

It takes time and effort and some luck. But if you really want it, then I am sure you will find a way. Start with easier and cheaper climbs and show potential sponsors what you can do!

Good luck,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17 2003, 04:44 »

if you are really into climbing, then you can become a guide, now you probably wont get a lot of money, but it does get you good connections, and good connections lead to cheap climbs.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17 2003, 12:41 »

also setting priorities.....dont take 5 hobbies ;)

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21 2003, 05:39 »

yeah, that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 23 queries.