7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the hardest summit to climb?  (Read 65874 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
What is the hardest summit to climb?
« on: Apr 23 2003, 13:46 »

This is a poll about the hardest climbs:
Possible answers:
- Everest
- Vinson
- Carstensz Pyramid
- Denali
- Aconcagua

More peopl die on Aconcagua than on Denali; but Everest is the highest, Carstensz the steepest and Vinson the coldest?
What s the definition of a hard climb? Raising $$$ to climb is also verry hard...

Looking forward to seeing your votes and comments here!
« Last Edit: Oct 21 2004, 15:49 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

Re:What is the hardest summit to climb?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8 2003, 20:17 »

most talk about how the mental challenges are the hardest, yet most people cant handle them. the other day, when i went to the dentist, and found i had a cavity, i told him no gas or antiseptic just to see if i could handle the pain. it was unbelievable, and i will probably never do it again, but anyway like i was saying the mental is the hardest, so i say vinson is the most challenging

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12 2003, 19:14 »

wow a real dentist  :o

done deal...everest

trunl

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15 2003, 05:51 »

yep

babe

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26 2004, 23:00 »

most talk about how the mental challenges are the hardest, yet most people cant handle them. the other day, when i went to the dentist, and found i had a cavity, i told him no gas or antiseptic just to see if i could handle the pain. it was unbelievable, and i will probably never do it again, but anyway like i was saying the mental is the hardest, so i say vinson is the most challenging

Using your definition of mental being the hardest part, CLEARLY Everest is the toughest climb.
« Last Edit: Jan 26 2004, 23:11 by 7summits »

trunl

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28 2004, 09:42 »

uh, no. i said vinson.

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!
Re: What is the hardest summit to climb?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21 2004, 10:30 »

Very very interesting!!!!

Question: Have more people died climbing Everest than any other summit? (I really do not know this answer). If Everest is, then would the mental anguish of making it be overwelming in itself?

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21 2004, 13:37 »

Depnd how you look at it. In absilute numbers probebly yaey, But in % then no.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21 2004, 15:52 »

Both absolutely as relatively (%) Everest has seen the most deaths (of the 7summits) and therefore is the most dangerous of them.

So this will make it harder mentally...
 O0
« Last Edit: Oct 22 2004, 16:05 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22 2004, 05:02 »

that goes to annapurna with an unprecedented 41% fatality rate. VERY DANGEROUS partly because it is underestimated and climbed by amateurs.

trunl

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22 2004, 10:51 »

What constitues an amateur? A guy that only read about climbing in mountains and gained knowledge about it, is he still an amateur? In that case stay away trunl...

I would like to say that all mountains are dangerous. Some of course more dangerous then others... Heck, even the highest mountain in Sweden has casualties every year, average 2-3 people a year. I say it's because they try to summit the peak with wheelchair or inexperienced people going glacierwalking and falls into a crevase.. Take your pick.

I read a statement on Pilgrim Tours website that 46 people had died the previous season on Elbrus, but now I can't find it. The only death I heard about and experienced firsthanded this season was a guy at work who tripped when going down towrds the saddle and slided about 300 meters, dumping his head into a big piece of rock which unfourtanely killed him.

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22 2004, 12:49 »

Sliding head 1st against a rock from 300m tends to do that buddha.

I also had some near misses. After 14 years of climbing you just cant avoid it and something will happen (unless you dont challange yourself and do only easy stuff, but then still) And last month a friend of mine with a guy i know took a long fall. My friend survived but was hospitalized and the guy i knew died. They were very experianced and my friend almost a UIAA guide. And i wasnt the 1st i knew. If you climb on a high level and have friends who do then be prepared to these things occuring. :?)

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22 2004, 12:53 »

Sliding head 1st against a rock from 300m tends to do that buddha.
Yup, nonetheless it's never funny when it happens, whether you know the guy or not! Self arrest people, learn it, train it and practice it on the field! It could save your life some day!

To me the danger of climbing is also one of the thrills... If I wanted a safe "sport" I would have gone for chess...

« Last Edit: Oct 22 2004, 12:56 by Buddha »

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22 2004, 20:15 »

Hey Guys!

Many times, people dies because of a lack of judgment. They don't know their own capabilities, they don't turn from the summit  when they should (prime example is Everest 1996). Look how many deaths occured after summiting, people over extend and they don't have the energy to come down the mountain.

On Elbrus this year, my guide told me that 2 fellow Canadians climbed to the summit in bad temperature (whiteout conditions) and wanted to do the other summit (the east one), she refused (yeah the guide was a beautiful woman  ;)) but the clients did it anyway and they were never seen again.

Not to say that climbing does not have inherent risks, but if you do it in an intelligent way, it could be pretty safe. My model for this philosophy is the American climber Ed Viesturs who has climbed 13 out of the 14 8000m peaks and has been on top of Everest 6 times (I think!) and turned around on Annapurna (his last 8000m summit) twice because of unstable snow condition when other climbers continue and made the summit.

MikeW

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23 2004, 00:20 »

Not to say that climbing does not have inherent risks, but if you do it in an intelligent way, it could be pretty safe. My model for this philosophy is the American climber Ed Viesturs who has climbed 13 out of the 14 8000m peaks and has been on top of Everest 6 times (I think!) and turned around on Annapurna (his last 8000m summit) twice because of unstable snow condition when other climbers continue and made the summit.
MikeW

Absolutely Mike, knowing your capabilities is a must!
I have an example as well. There was a Swedish adventurer called Göran Kropp who passed away 2 years ago. When he tried to summit Everest the first time he had to turn around and go back down just as he had climbed almost all of the Hillary Step. He returned a few days later to make a successful summit!  :D

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23 2004, 04:24 »

I think a lot off accidents happen to very experianced climbers too. Been there , done it , doing it again. Summited....on the way back (yep you also have to get down :eek)) and get lazy/unconcentrated. lot of people i know of went that why. top climbers too :?)
« Last Edit: Oct 23 2004, 23:14 by Ron »

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23 2004, 12:23 »

I am definately sticking to chess!!!  :lol)

Bravo to you who climb and stay safe, geesh I get dizzy climbing the kitchen chair to change the lightbulb.

I wished I had the courage to do it......... fascinating world this climbing is!!!!

Hope you don't mind me living it through you all!!!!

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

trunl

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24 2004, 09:38 »

What constitues an amateur? A guy that only read about climbing in mountains and gained knowledge about it, is he still an amateur? In that case stay away trunl...

right.... buddha, i will because i HAVE read so much about it and am informed that it should NOT be someones first, or even second, 8000er.

so whats your argument????

trunl

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24 2004, 17:00 »

My arguement is still and will continue to be that however good knowledge from books is it will NEVER be better then first hand experience that you get from practicing a certain thing. You can say that you've read all the books about mountaineering there is and I still would see you as an amateur until you've proved that you managed to climb a mountain...

If I read 50 books about deep-sea diving, does that make me a pro at deep-sea diving or would I still consitute an amateur? If I'm still an amateur what differs me from you?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24 2004, 17:11 »

You 2 agree more than you think..

I think Trunl's argument is that you can learn from books the fact that you need first hand experience in mountains to become experienced.
Which sounds like a contradictio in Terminis, but is actually valid.  8)

O0
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.