7 summits and other mountain stuff > Polls

Denali can only be guided by certified Denali guides, do you agree?

<< < (3/3)

GMatthews:
The final 4 climbers got off the mountain the day after we got down. 2 girls may have summated Foraker but they died in a storm. I will say this to you without a doubt Foraker is the hardest and most Dangerous Mountain in North America.

big wave dave:
Hi GMatthews

--- Quote from: GMatthews on Aug 13 2006, 04:24 ---The final 4 climbers got off the mountain the day after we got down. 2 girls may have summated Foraker but they died in a storm. I will say this to you without a doubt Foraker is the hardest and most Dangerous Mountain in North America.

--- End quote ---

Sue Nott and Karen McNeill are the two women you are referring to.  They were quite accomplished climbers.  This was a very sad story but they certainly led adventurous lives.  See this link.

Good luck on your climbing goals.
Big Wave Dave 

7summits:

--- Quote from: GMatthews on Aug 12 2006, 14:48 ---OK I will tell you guys the answer.
The NPS (National Park Service) wants 6 American guiding companies to be successful and all the rest to not be basically. (They have the same system on Rainier)
I do not agree with this system because I am Canadian so I will never have the chance to guide on Denali.
I think they need to have a point system of some sorts to let anyone experienced enough to guide there. Not this BS they have right now. For Example any person that has climbed it 10 times should be aloud to guide on it.

--- End quote ---
In fact the strange thing is that only the companies are certified, not the guides. They can hire whomever they want to do their guiding. So it does not matter where you come from - or even if you have climbed Denali before or not- , just as long as you work for one of the 6 companies, you can guide.
So it is definately more to protect the companies' home market than the climbers as sometimes they use guides who have never been there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version