7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denali can only be guided by certified Denali guides, do you agree?  (Read 18377 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

This is a new poll about Denali guiding:
Possible answers:
-Yes, other guides don't know Denali
-Yes, it's a US mountain, so US guides should make $$ of it
- No, any guide should be allowed
- No, the climbers should be able to choose any guide they want
- Yes, it helps prevent rescues
- No, anyone should be free to do what they want
- Dunno...

Actually, it's not special Denali guides, but Denal guiding companies. Anyone they hire can be a Denali guide, it's irrellevant if they know the mountain or not, are certified guides per se etc.

There are fewer deaths on Denali than on Aconcagua, but the guiding rate is about the same..
Inguided climbs are allowed, but you cannot guide if you are not employed by the 6 licensed companies who clearly have a price agreement as all prices are exactly equal and all trips are filled.

Is it really to protect the climbers or to protect their monopoly?
What do you think?

Looking forward to seeing your votes and comments here!

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

every other country does not have limits of who can guide their mountains, so why should we? let everyone hire any guide they want.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

thats not the case...in europe the mountains are open for every1....and every1 can guide on them aswel....also americans.

So lets turn this around...why should we not be allowed on Denali (witch is the only mountain in the US were that restriction applys i believe)...
« Last Edit: Oct 9 2003, 04:00 by Ron »

trunl

in europe about 30 years ago, they tried to limit the guides on the mountain to only guides to which the mountain was in.

in case you didnt know.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

30 years ago..... ::) what has that do do with the reality of the prenst situation...?
Your 14 years old trunl....you could have been born twice ffs ;D

trunl

i mentioned that to show that if europe has tried to limit the guides on their mountains and it failed, then why should ours work? shouldnt we take example from many of the european countries? YES!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Yes, I agree with you both. Guess what happens if the Nepalese and Chinese government would do the same and not allow any US guides on Everest? I guess quite a few US companies would be out of business soon (and prices would drop considerably).

Somehow Denali park seems like private property, it's amazing the amount of influence the rangesrs have if you compare it with other mountains.

Climbing should be free. That does not mean not paying any fees if they are used to keep the mountain clean, but less restrictions and including freedom to choose your own guide.
« Last Edit: Oct 14 2003, 15:10 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

i agree. if U.S. guiding companies were restricted from Asia, then the U.S. climbing economy would die out (for the most part).

GMatthews

OK I will tell you guys the answer.
The NPS (National Park Service) wants 6 American guiding companies to be successful and all the rest to not be basically. (They have the same system on Rainier)
I do not agree with this system because I am Canadian so I will never have the chance to guide on Denali.
I think they need to have a point system of some sorts to let anyone experienced enough to guide there. Not this BS they have right now. For Example any person that has climbed it 10 times should be aloud to guide on it.

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1

The NPS (National Park Service) wants 6 American guiding companies to be successful and all the rest to not be basically. (They have the same system on Rainier)
I do not agree with this system because I am Canadian so I will never have the chance to guide on Denali.
I think they need to have a point system of some sorts to let anyone experienced enough to guide there. Not this BS they have right now. For Example any person that has climbed it 10 times should be aloud to guide on it.

Interesting pics there.....
Just wondering.....what happened to the 4 climbers still on the mountain?  :D
Gee....Foraker seems tougher.....28 finished the climb and none summitted??

Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

GMatthews

The final 4 climbers got off the mountain the day after we got down. 2 girls may have summated Foraker but they died in a storm. I will say this to you without a doubt Foraker is the hardest and most Dangerous Mountain in North America.

big wave dave

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I prefer to stay at sea level

Hi GMatthews

The final 4 climbers got off the mountain the day after we got down. 2 girls may have summated Foraker but they died in a storm. I will say this to you without a doubt Foraker is the hardest and most Dangerous Mountain in North America.

Sue Nott and Karen McNeill are the two women you are referring to.  They were quite accomplished climbers.  This was a very sad story but they certainly led adventurous lives.  See this link.

Good luck on your climbing goals.
Big Wave Dave 

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

In fact the strange thing is that only the companies are certified, not the guides. They can hire whomever they want to do their guiding. So it does not matter where you come from - or even if you have climbed Denali before or not- , just as long as you work for one of the 6 companies, you can guide.
So it is definately more to protect the companies' home market than the climbers as sometimes they use guides who have never been there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.