7 summits and other mountain stuff > Polls

What is the 7th summit: is it Carstensz, Kosciuszko or Mt Cook??

<< < (2/18) > >>

peak_bagger:
if were talking political boundries than is'nt Carstwnsz in Indoneasia which is part of asia, and as we all know the highest peak in asia is everest.

we must remember that a continent is difined by land mass and not political boundies,

--- Quote from: Matt B on May 29 2003, 07:16 ---
Kociuszko is definately a consideration.  If the continents are defined as a large land masses, islands are excluded - they are not part of any continent.  Else if we're talking the division of the entire political world into 7 units "continent" then it's Carstensz.  

--- Quote from: peak_bagger on May 17 2003, 19:55 ---
I dont think Kociuszko is even a question, as the highest peak in australia is Mawson peak at 2745m
this peak is located on heard island which is part of Australian teritory

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Attic Tony:
Kosciuszko is the highest point on the Australian landmass.
But, although most of Indonesia is part of Asia, Irian Jaya is part of the Australian continent in the same way as, for example, the UK is part of Europe. So Carstensz is the true 7th summit.
I'd still climb both though  :D

trunl:
it is well documented in our history that there are in fact SEVEN continents North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Antarctica, AND Australia.

Ron:

--- Quote from: Attic Tony on Jun  7 2003, 04:28 ---
Kosciuszko is the highest point on the Australian landmass.
But, although most of Indonesia is part of Asia, Irian Jaya is part of the Australian continent in the same way as, for example, the UK is part of Europe. So Carstensz is the true 7th summit.
I'd still climb both though  :D

--- End quote ---

i agree m8

trunl:
actually that would mean that there is no 7th summit as you describe a land mass as a continent a and carstensz in the highest oceania one

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version