7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 years ago: First Everest summiteer interview  (Read 4546 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Nowadays climbers send movies from the summit, but Peter Jackson was the first reporter to interview an everest summiteer 50 years ago, this is what he was told:
Hunt told me why he had chosen Hillary and Tenzing for the assault: ''They stood far above everyone from the point of view of fitness,'' he said.
       He introduced me to the tall, lanky New Zealander. How had he felt at the top, I asked.
       ''I felt bloody good,'' Hillary grinned. Stressing that the success was the result of team work, he added: ''It was due mainly to Colonel Hunt. It was almost a surprise seeing the top, a firm snow cone forming a perfect summit. Tenzing threw his arms around me in a happy embrace.''
       I asked Tenzing if he would like to climb Everest again.
       ''No, no. Seven times is enough. But I would like to go to K2 (the world's second highest mountain in Pakistan). I think it can be climbed.''
       He added: ''There wasn't much time on the peak to think of our achievement. I was thinking about the return -- if there is time, will the oxygen last, will the route still be all right? The real moments of happiness came later.''

Read the full story about Jacksons'interview on the Msnbc.com website here.
« Last Edit: May 30 2003, 12:47 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

Re:50 years ago: First Everest summiteer interview
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8 2003, 20:56 »

that is kind of sad, i would have hoped they had overwhelming oxygen supplies and perfect weather so they could stand there for hours and enjoy the moment
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.