7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aconcagua boots (and Everest training)  (Read 27417 times)

Gav

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 1
  • I'm so cool!
Aconcagua boots (and Everest training)
« on: Jun 29 2003, 21:53 »

Hi I'm new to the site, I am looking to do Aconcagua
Jan/Feb 2004, I have done Kili and Mera Peak in Nepal. I want to know if my Asolo AFS Evoluzione Plastics will be up to the job on Aconcagua, my feet suffered slightly on Mera so I'm worried about the cold on Aconcagua will they be up to it or will I need an upgrade ( money is tight!! )
Look forward to any advice Gav
« Last Edit: Oct 11 2004, 15:04 by 7summits »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:Aconcagua
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16 2003, 20:37 »

Hi Gav,
your boots should be ok if they are not to tight as your fight might swell lighlty on altitude (did that happen on Mera?)
I used Asolo's twice on Denali, in may and June and they were just warm enough. As Denali is much colder than Acon, you should be fine.
Have you read about our special new years trip from 15 dec- 5 jan for a special price??

Maybe you can join that one?

Good luck,
best regards,

Harry
« Last Edit: Jul 16 2003, 20:38 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Gav Parker

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18 2003, 16:27 »

Harry I decided my Asolos were to tight so I've sold and am looking for an alternative maybe Scarpa vegas with High altitude inner two sizes bigger than my normal size, have you done the normal route and how fit do I need to be or is average fitness enough aslong as the altitude and weather are kind to me!!
Whats the Canelleta all about??
Cheers Gav
ps cannott make the xmas trip.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18 2003, 22:30 »

Hi Gav,
I actually did the same: as my asolo's were too tight for high altitude (but great for iceclimbing in the alps  :D ) I took my Scarpa Vega's/invernos (same) with expedition liners. I only used them above 5800m by the way, but then it was -25C in the evening (-15F).
The canaleta is like a huge scree landslide: loads and loads of rocks and scree, 2 steps up, one step down, which can really get to you on altitude. Mental strenght is maybe even more important than physical strenght here, although you need a goo dlevel of fitness for Aconcagua. Hiking with very heavy backpacks is good training. Also read the FAQ about this issue
Take care and have fun!
Ps: we also offer very cheap trips on other dates, check out the Aconcagua trip pages for all dates and prices.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26 2003, 13:06 »

I have no trouble at all with increasing size of my feet at altitude..If they fit me here (sealevel) they also fit me at 6000+.
you can use them big as you want in my opinion just to be sure but NEVER that big that it makes your heel slide in it (blisters all the way) So 2 sizes might be to much Gav

elena

« Reply #5 on: Oct 6 2003, 15:14 »

Is it not too late for booking the trip of 15th December 2003 to Aconcagua (polish traverse) for 2 persons? I hope not!
Elena

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 8 2003, 02:10 »

Harry is "outta town"right now..im sure he will contact you in a few days..i think he's back on thursday 9th

trunl

« Reply #7 on: Nov 9 2003, 06:20 »

about physical condition gav, if you can run 3 miles (without a pack) without resting for more than a minute, then you are physically fit enough. its that simple.

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 9 2003, 13:25 »

I think thats a rather "short "turn Trunl....if conditions are ideal and your not sick or anything it might be enough for some "natural"born climbers...but not for most people.
If you go and clinb a mountain like that then prepare for worse (case scenario) and then in order to help yourself or others a good condition and stamina are essential

trunl

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29 2003, 05:31 »

you think too negative.

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29 2003, 13:55 »

I just got 13 years of climbing experiance  :)

trunl

« Reply #11 on: Dec 2 2003, 08:35 »

13 years too many

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 2 2003, 13:41 »

lol 1 year more and that would be your age Trunl. And im still alive so i must know something about it i guess. ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 2 2003, 13:48 by Ron »

trunl

« Reply #13 on: Dec 3 2003, 09:42 »

for your information, i am almost 15 (in one month) and i already have a trip planned to Mt. Whitney, Yosemite (highest mt in 48 contigious states in U.S.), Kili and Elbrus. how much did you have planned at my age??  ;D ;D

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 3 2003, 15:26 »

WOW thats really something  ::).....at that age i was chasing girls ..the only sensible thing to do when your 14 ffs...Anyway it does not matter how early you start ...its the fact that i climb as long as you live and are still around.
« Last Edit: Dec 3 2003, 21:20 by Ron »

trunl

« Reply #15 on: Dec 4 2003, 09:42 »

do i detect a hint of sarcasm?  

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Summit Bound!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 6 2003, 00:21 »

Hey Trunl,

Your 15 right, and your planning trips to Mt. Whitney, Yosemite (highest mt in 48 contigious states in U.S.), Kili and Elbrus.  How do you afford these trips at your age?

trunl

« Reply #17 on: Dec 7 2003, 10:01 »

i have saved all my money from christmas and birthdays for the past couple years, and i have an afterschool job at my dad's office. The whole trip probably costs $700.

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Summit Bound!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 8 2003, 01:04 »

Trunl,

What trip costs you 700??? what about the other trips you've planned?

trunl

« Reply #19 on: Dec 9 2003, 05:54 »

actually more like a $1000 for mt. whitney and hiking around yosemite for 2 weeks. about the other trips, i am getting a sponsorship from mcdonalds (i know that sounds wierd but they want to open restaurants in Nairobi, and they want to spread the word). why do u want to know this?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 23 queries.