7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sleeping bags  (Read 5407 times)

Tomasz

sleeping bags
« on: Aug 6 2003, 23:59 »

Hi,
I'm planning to ascend Aconcagua this Feb. Can you give any pointers on sleeping bag that I might buy (brand names?). I was thinking of getting one rated to about -29C and getting overbag to increase the rating by up tp 10C, that way I can have increased range.
Also what kind of boots are guys using for climbs like Aconcagua, Elbrus, Rocky Mountains, etc.
I was thinking of getting Boreal G1 Mountaineering Double Boots (Men's), which is leather boot.
Any suggestion would be appreciated

Tomasz
« Last Edit: Aug 7 2003, 02:25 by 7summits »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7 2003, 02:52 »

Hi Tomasz,
I just updated the FAQ about the Acon gearlist (click here), but here is some detail:
Sleeping bag: preferably -29C/-20F, for warm sleepers -20C/0F might be sufficient if you have good layers underneath you (preferred:one inflatable3/4 + one full length Z-rest or similar closed cell foam).
-
Boots: NO leather boots! Leather always gets wet and then freezes, togetehr with your toes. Leather is perfect for short technical stuff, not for expeditions in extrene cold. Too many people hav elost toes on Aconcagua due to leather boots!
-
I personally use a TNF Solarflare dryloft sleepingbag and wear Scarpa Vega/Inverno or Asolo's.

Good luck,
best regards,

Harry
(ps: if you sign in as a registered user you can receive notifications when someone replies to your messages.)

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Petri Riihikallio

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15 2003, 02:57 »

I am planning to buy Stephenson's Warmlite (http://www.warmlite.com) sleeping bags for me and my wife. They are expensive, but special: integrated mattress, double top for different temp ranges and vapor barrier to keep the down dry.

Does anyone have any experience with those? I have found mostly positive comments, but very few.

I have their tent already: 2R is a spacious for two persos and quick to set up. I have spent a severe storm in mine in the French Alps. The tent weights only 1,5 kg (about three pounds) including the poles!

The Stephenson's website is weird, but I am very happy with the tent.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26 2003, 13:03 »

Im not very fond of a VP (vapor barrier). sure it increases isolation with some 10 degrees but its not comferable at all. You have that wet sticky feeling all night and  also its cold coming out of your bag in the morning (not to mention the smell)
I prefer a good down bag without a VP. if their is some moist in it then 30mins of sun on high ltitude will take care of that together with everything else in the tent (you can also put it on top of the tent to dry)

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9 2003, 06:28 »

for boots on Aconcagua, Elbrus, Rocky Mountains, etc, i would not recommend leather. i would recommend a good, sturdy PLASTIC boot
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 23 queries.